Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Ebay sells

I have recently thought of putting a few of my pipes on ebay to sell but I honestly dont know how it works out do they get a cut for there sevice and is added in to the price I set.

Comments

• Options
    They get a cut of the price when sold, they usually will offer a start out offer of no charge on 1st sale, 
  • Options
    @Woodsman I have a few to put on there (about 20) do you happen to know how they figure up their cut is it a set rate or a percentage.
  • Options
    @Corey562 -- Are you wanting to set up an Ebay store or sell them individually? Here's the Ebay fee calculator. 
  • Options
    @jfreedy probably sell the individualy.
  • Options
    eBay has been my go to source for used Carey pipes. Wouldn't shop anywhere else.
  • Options
    Repost: How to Buy Pipes on eBay

<< There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale on eBay: new and estate. 

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. These estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions.  

Often you can find exquisite handcrafted pipes made by some of the finest pipe makers in the world at a small fraction of the price on eBay. The standard rule of thumb is that if you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

The internet is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent pipe or locate some rare tobacco. At any given time, there are literally tens of thousands of items under “ pipes” on eBay. However, a huge percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun, and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best made with strategy and wisdom.

Here some tips to purchasing pipes on eBay:

1. There are no great pipes for a dollar or two. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 
    2. Most of the Made-in-China pipes that say “quality” are pure junk. 
    3. If it has a metal bowl or is made of plastic move on. 
    4. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. Brands like Savinelli, Peterson, Dunhill, Stanwell and Davidoff will always offer you a great smoking experience if it’s authentic and the pipe is in good condition. Even less expensive brands like Dr. Grabow offer a good introduction to pipe smoking.
    5. Look for pipes made from Briar and Meerschaum only. 
    6. Before buying or bidding, research the pipe on various pipe forums and Facebook groups to see reviews and information. 
    7. There is such thing as counterfeit pipes so be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 
    8. When in doubt, visit one of the many pipe smoking groups or forums on Facebook and ask the members about the pipe. Most are happy to help and will even vet the listing for you in some cases. >>
  • Options
    @motie2 I have bought a few pipes on ebay and have gotten one or two bad ones because I did not look close enough at the pic. But I have never sold any of the ones I make on ebay so I figured I may give it a try.
  • Options
    @Corey562 -- Let us know when you list them. You've got many potential buyers here on this forum. :)  
  • Options
    All right got all my pics together for ebay. Looks to be about 30 new pipes.
  • Options
    Might start a new discussion and post some of them that way if the pics are no good y'all can let me know.
  • Options
    @Corey562 -- And please post the link to your eBay listed pipes.
  • Options
    I sell refurbished estate pipes on EBay semi regularly. It has always been a good experience for me so far. I've made about 9 sales in the last 6-8 months. They do take a cut, it isn't over the top, I also never pay attention so I cannot give you a percentage. People are very wary when buying from new sellers. Your pipes may not bring in what they are actually worth until you build up a good following, and rapport. I posted up 2 Castello's that should have brought inat least $200.00 a piece but because I am little known, they both barely broke $100.00.
  • Options
    @PhilosoPiper next time you put something on eBay for sell, post a link so we can look at it.
  • Options
    I certainly will @PappyJoe I may have 2 Dunhills going up in the next couple of weeks.