Home The Lounge
Options

A Government agency that works...

Of course, I'm biased because I served in the Coast Guard for 21 years and worked more hurricanes than I want to remember.
Please watch this.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/houston-flooding-inside-look-coast-guard-rescue-operations/

Comments

• Options
    Now there's a novel idea. Public service that actually serves the public. I do believe armed service stands on their own. You did say "government agency" which kinda makes my head spin. 
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited August 2017
    The Coast Guard is unique because of all of its non-military missions like saving lives, marine safety, law enforcement and environmental protection.  The Coast Guard's budget is approximately 10 Billion a year - which is less than the U.S. Navy spent on the USS Gerald Ford ($13 billion). 

In 2016 the Coast Guard seized around 5.6 Billion dollars worth of Cocaine. That doesn't include the value of the marijuana they seized at sea.
  • Options

@PappyJoe It's a shame the Coast Guard doesn't don't have access to a Home Shopping Network channel where they could re-sell the confiscated drugs to International Drug Dealers outside the country, then put the profit into the coffers of the National Guard. $5.6 Billion is a Hell of a lot of money that sure could go a long way into helping the Coast Guard. And if they play their cards right they could confiscate the same shipment coming back into the country and sell it again, possibly to the same drug cartel, eventually bankrupting them by buying back their original product over and over.

I'm sure there must be a flaw somewhere in my plan - but you have to realize you're dealing with the logic of a lunatic. Insanity doesn't 'run' in our family - it 'walks' alongside us casually strolling arm-in-arm.    

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited August 2017
    @ghostsofpompeii - Believe it or not, but when the Revenue Cutter Service (the forerunner of the Coast Guard) was formed in 1790, that is exactly what they did with illegal cargo - but it was mostly rum and molasses back then. Those early years were they only time the U.S. government operated with a surplus budget instead of a deficit. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    The US Coast Guard is (are?) the true unsung heroes of our military. They are heroic day to day and every day, serving our citizenry at home in an even more immediate way than our troops do abroad. I was shown a US Coast Guard facility in Cleveland some years ago, and these men are on their toes. If you/I/we need them, they'll be there johnny-on-the-spot.

Changing the subject, I would be remiss in my mission if I failed to mention
    the distinguished and outstanding achievements and record of service
    of the ever vigilant and always on guard men and women of the

Tax dollars at work
  • Options
    I would say a lot more.....;but after being busted back to Newcomer from Apprentice, I am not sure I am now not respected enough.

However, I spent 6 years in the Navy, some tough duty (Minesweepers) and some great times. But, if I had it to do again, I would love to be a Rescue Swimmer in the Coast Guard. They get to do neat and critically important stuff almost every day. We live 5 miles or so from ACY where we have an USCG Air Detachment. Every day, multiple times every day, the Dolphin Choppers are flying out somewhere. These guys are the best, and some of the bravest. Hand Salute to all the Coasties.

• Options
    @pwkarch - Everyone serving or who have served thank you. I belong to a Coast Guard Veteran's group on Facebook and there has been a couple of long discussions about Coasties wishing they could get to SE Texas and help. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

In addition to all the things in which I am involved, I am also an Historian. My two favorite specialties are the American Revolution period with the founding of our country, and World War Two history including the time from the early 30"s through the early 50's as we built our economy from wartime to peacetime.

Having said that, and back to the USCG, their involvement in WW2 is to be commended. The Coasties patrolled our coasts both on the sea and foot patrols on our sandy shores. Your Coasties ran many a landing craft in some of the most critical beach landings in all the theaters of war, and took a fairly heavy toll. The Coast Guard were often stationed along with Navy Sailors on Merchant Ships to provide gun crews, and we all know the fate of many hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo and materiel that were lost with all those lives to Dernitz's Wolf Packs.

Many years ago when I first started my career I worked with a WW2 Coastie who jumped from CG Cutter to an Oil Tanker that had been torpedoed of the Outer Banks and rescued several Merchant Marines who were injured. The tanker was ablaze and he actually suffered severe burns through his boots from the intense heat of the deck. Most people are unaware of the USCG being under the Treasury Dept during peace time and can become a part of the Navy in terms of supplementing the Navy when required in war time.

While in the Navy I actually trained several of your guys who were excellent students and really great and dedicated sailors. Of course we did give them the usual inter service BS such as asking how they got in because they were under six feet tall, and all of the other barbs we all have heard a million times. But they gave it right back at us while we all smiled but certainly respected each other. 

Hats off to the guys who get to do great stuff almost every day.
  • Options
    Thinking back to Katrina,I had the pleasure of meeting historian Douglas Brinkley and he continually praised the Coast Guard  and the work they did throughout that terrible storm.I might be wrong but his was a voice in the wildernesses.Being a veteran myself  I thank all that have served.
  • Options
    I was watching a Sea Stallion out of Cape Cod doing multiple rescues in Texas yesterday on CNN. I'd say the Coast Guard is the busiest of all the Armed Forces, they're in constant call out at the Jersey Shore.
  • Options
    @Woodsman

Where are located at the Jersey Shore? I am just out of AC.......
  • Options
    I'm up in Western Bergen County 7 miles from the  NY State line. I sometimes go down the shore.