Home General
Options

In Need Of Pipe Repairs - Broken Tenon On My Big Ben Fantasia

edited August 2017 in General

Just moments after taking the picture above, where I'm enjoying an afternoon smoke at Deep River Park in Hobart, Indiana relaxing on a bench amidst beautiful flowers in front of the Flower Mill ... my Big Ben Fantasia Pipe snapped  right at the tenon. I had just started cleaning it with a pipe cleaner, and unfortunately it's one of those pipes in which a pipe cleaner doesn't run cleanly through to the bowl. So I was preparing to remove the stem when I immediately notice something wasn't quite right. Normally the stem and shank are a perfect fit ... but in this instance there appeared to be a slight gap at the top. And just as I started to twist the stem it immediately snapped off, leaving part of the tenon in the shank and apparently the other half in the stem. 

Needless to say, I was shattered. I love that pipe. After looking at the thickness of the wall of he broken tenon it's easy to see how it would be the weak link in the pipe. Because it holds a 9mm filter the plastic tenon is paper thin. I don't use filters so I wish it had been thicker like a majority of my pipes. Maybe if I can get someone to repair the tenon, they can replace it with on that doesn't require a 9mm filter, and can be a bit more sturdy. 

Anyone here know of a reliable and reasonably priced person who can repair my tenon. Someone they may have dealt with before on a similar type of repair, and happy with the outcome. 

This is the same pipe I kind of screwed-up trying to clean the rim with the simple siliva and rag routine and somehow managed to rub away some of the marbleized effect of the finish. So I've been having some bad luck with the pipe. But I love it and want to get back to smoking it as soon as possible. I almost thought about simply buying another, but it seems like replacing a tenon wouldn't be that difficult for someone with the tools and know how. So I'm not going to write it off as a loss and let the poor pipe die. And I don't want to jury rig some half-ass repair work myself using some product that will probably poison me when I smoke the pipe. I almost considered super gluing it back together but thought better of it when I remembered it's hard to run a pipe cleaner though it. 

Any advise from the expects out there would be useful.

Comments