Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Discontinued or hard to find blends...

As I recently found out, there are blends that have been discontinued for years that are still available if you search for them. 
I found one source http://pipestud.com/

Does anyone else have a go-to for old blends?

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe, do you think we can get JD at Country Squire to blend up some reasonable facimiles of the old blends?  He ought to be able to do it.
  • Options
    He's going to be a very busy man in the years to come when a majority of the blends we presently enjoy are going to be discontinued.
  • Options
    @mfresa - you can email him and ask.
  • Options
    Friends

Not discontinued, but hard to get is the Russ' Monthly Blend "Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean". I assume it is a "small batch" sort of blend. I keep checking P&C, but it is back ordered when ever I check. The review on the site (if accurate) is 5 stars. And, if it was one star, I think I would still enjoy that combination. I want to get some to try, and if it is as good as it sounds and reported and passes my test, I want to get some to stock up for what is likely to happen with the government sticking their noses into our hobby and past time.
  • Options
    Russ' blends are often a one time release.
  • Options
    @pwkarch So far every Russ aromatic blend I've tried I enjoyed and make them part of my regular rotation. My absolute favorite (and indespensible) is his "Warm Up" blend. I must have 5 quart jars of the stuff in my cellar. Other blends I've tried and enjoyed are Cinnamon Roll, Ice Cream Sundae (which has a nice fruity flavor), Spring Training, Candy Corn, Snow Drift, Allsorts, Kaleidoscope, and The Taxman Cometh. All are very good but the stand outs are "Warm Up", "Candy Corn" and "Spring Training". When these blends are finally di8scontinued I'll truly miss them - and tried to stock up accordingly.
  • Options
    Thanks ghost for the endorsement.....I have never tried any of those blends. As soon as the "Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean" is back  (barring perhaps what Woodsman said) I will get some and try it. If I do like it I will get more and perhaps try some of the blends you listed. Thank you for the heads up. 
  • Options
    Hey......why was I busted to a "Newcomer" from an "Apprentice"? What the heck happened? 
  • Options
    I saw I think yesterday Pappy was busted from Professor for no reason.....what is happening to this site?

• Options
    Yeah, and I was elevated to Commonsewer for no particular reason as far as I can tell.
    Certainly @ghostsofpompeii and @PappyJoe should have attained that distinction way before me....
    And just in passing: I had ten badges before the change over; now I have four.
    None of this has affected my life in any way, except that with a faster site I need to spend less time on TPL.

Oh well. So it goes.
  • Options
    I've been here longer, started more topics and made more comments. But I'm just a professor. 
  • Options
    I think @motie2 has something going on with @NicoleSTGLaneLtd
  • Options
    @PappyJoe That @motie2 is a smooth talker and a bit of a Dreamboat.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    What was so enjoyable about these old era pipe blends was that most if not all were available in small amounts, less than two ounces. It gave an opportunity to sample many different approaches to the blending of tobaccos, the doing so producing unique tobaccos. Years ago, even working in a pipe and tobacco store, part time, I still enjoyed a number of these blends from drug stores. One of my frequent smokes was Barking Dog, I have acquired a current Match, but it seems to lack something. I just ordered another Match blend from P&C, Field & Stream. 
    Not certain how available the recipes are for these discontinued blends, would be treat to have a blender produce a dozen or or so in a sampler, sort of a pre-production subscription, where the old pipe smokers can enjoy those blends again and newer enthusiasts could taste what was popular years ago.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    Yass, Pappy. Yass, Ghost. But our first assignation, a romantic dinner, didn't go well.......

And Ghost, it's the first time someone's described me as "a bit of a dreamboat."
    I am usually described as "a portly dwarf."

Oh, and a Commonsewer. :p

• Options
    @motie2, there's nothing wrong with portly dwarves. I resemble that remark.
  • Options
    As I intimated, me too! But it's hell trying to buy a suit that fits. I'm glad the daily suit wearing part of my life is over.
  • Options
    Alright went and pick up the last 3 tins of this stuff my buddy had it is nicely aged and as sweet as can be well the can I opend anyway. I fiest come across it one day while helping him in his basement at the time there was only 5 tins there so he being the friend he is sent me home with a tin and I just could not get enough so when I ran out I looked on line and could not find the blend anywhere so I high tailed back to get another and after it was gone back I went took some trading to get the last of them but know I dont know what to do when they are gone. 
  • Options
    For those who are interested in this fine, long out of production tobacco....
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4208/levin-pipes-international-gorgorath-curly-cut

• Options
    Wish I could find some more. Like I said down to about 2 full tins and 3/4 of the third.