Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Difference between Irish blend, English blend, and Scottish blend

I'm reading up on this because I think they are similar, all being non-aromatics, but if anyone has a definition that can be referenced I'd love to read it.  Apparently the definitions vary quite a bit out there.

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017

@mfresa -- ENGLISH (Oriental) BLENDS   https://www.pipesandcigars.com/faq/a-little-bit-about-english-blends-latakia-101/1818142/

A lot of polite, if contentious, discussions have been held in recent years about the accuracy of the use of “English” to describe certain pipe tobaccos. The moniker has become common usage though, so for the sake of brevity, we’ll refer to any blend which uses Latakia as the dominant note as an English blend.

Latakia begins as a Turkish Oriental varietal called Smyrna. These leaves are hung in barns on the island of Cyprus, and a smoldering fire is started on the floor of the barn. The smoke from the aromatic woods eventually permeate the tobacco, turning it dark brown to black, depending upon how long it hangs there. When burned, the tobacco gives off a campfire-like aroma, and imparts a similar flavor, although there are also some savory and spicy elements as well. The smokiness can easily dominate a blend.

Other common elements in an English blend are Virginias and Orientals (which includes the subset of Turkish tobaccos, as well). When Orientals are the secondary note, they’re often referred to as Balkans, but we’ll still keep them under the English blend category.

When Cavendish (especially black Cavendish) is added, the blend might be called a Scottish blend, and if Burley is added in any significant amount it becomes an American/English. Some blends may also include dark-fired Kentucky and cigar leaf.

The primary characteristics of these blends is that signature smokiness and a tendency to smoke slowly and coolly. While the flavor might delight the pipe smoker, the pungency of the Latakia might not please the noses of standers-by, so pick your smoking venue wisely.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    @mfresa -- English? Latakia? Balkan blends? What's the difference?

See attached .pdf

• Options
    @mfresa -- Also see the second half ("Pipe Tobacco Blends") of this article:

http://popvox0.tripod.com/pipes/guide.html   Guide to Pipe Tobacco by Randolph Tracy 

.pdf attached. 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    @mfresa -- Another post just disappeared after I hit POST COMMENT.

I'll try again.

Check out the second half of Guide to Pipe Tobacco by Randolph Tracy,
    attached as a .pdf 
  • Options
    The thing to remember is that these are all marketing terms, and are used predominantly in the U.S. 
    I remember a discussion in the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 with the late Joe Harb. He told of going into tobacconists in Scotland,and asking for 25 grams or so of what they would consider their most "Scottish" blend. The blends he got were closer to MacBaren Mixture Scottish Blend than anything sold here as a "Scottish bend".
  • Options
    @motie2 - You forgot about Syrian Latakia which was superior to Cyprian Latakia. Unfortunately Syrian Latakia no longer exists.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- As most always, you are correct, Sir.
    However, here's some Syrian for sale: 
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=20982

And here's what I have on the two Latakias, as a .pdf
  • Options
    Hey, @PappyJoe -- I just took a look around and came up with the following. To purchase, email PIPESTUD directly at Pipestud@aol.com and give him the letter/number code and the names of the item(s) that you want to purchase. (Example; SF1 – Balkan Sobranie 759).

VS2The now out of production and highly acclaimed Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian in 3-1/2 ounce tins that are factory dated to 2006, making them first year run tins. In particularly high demand now due to the large amount of the no longer made Syrian Latakia used in the blend. As described by www.tobaccoreviews.com – “The base of the blend, a little under half of the volume, is a smooth and yet powerful Latakia from Syria. This tobacco gives the blend the overall smoky taste, a powerful taste and yet without any tongue bite. To add a spicy note to the blend, Turkish Oriental has been added. A mix of different Virginia tobaccos from 3 continents adds a sweet natural taste. To complete the taste with depth and body, we added a little Dark Fired Kentucky from the US.” I have 4 of these almost 11-year old 3-1/2 ounce tins still available for $38 per tin

TA1The highly coveted and out of production 100g tin of Wellauer’s Syrian Latakia that has the gold ridged tin bottom, indicating late 1980’s or early 1990’s production. Also, this tin was made for the French market as the Syrian Latakia descriptive is on the top of the tin label… in French! If you saw this one commanding high prices on eBay and elsewhere, it is because the old timers knew that this one was loaded to the rafters with some of the finest Syrian Latakia ever to hit the market. Soft, yet bold and smoky tobacco that complimented the Virginia leaf (pretty special itself), perfectly. Just 1 tin available for $175
  • Options
    @motie2 - I know pipestud. He's where I got the George Washington.
  • Options
    See, @PappyJoe -- I told you that the scope of your pipe smoking knowledge and experience is wider than mine
  • Options
    @motie2 - but I'm just a lowly untenured professor.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Have you formally asked Nicole about our concerns? 

Might be better to do away with such distinctions, anyway.
    Anyone frequenting these discussions quickly learns who are the knowledgeable folks, don't you agree?
  • Options
    @motie2 - I'll message you
  • Options
    Guys, thanks so much for the responses and the PDF files.  I will read them thoroughly.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    To add to the "English" confusion, the below is from tobaccoreviews.com review of Mac Berans HH Old Dark Fired which has no Latakia in it.

Notes:
     One of the most fascinating parts about this tobacco that will be sure to confuse a lot of American pipe smokers is that, despite the fact that HH Old Dark Fired contains zero latakia, Mac Baren still considers it an English because of the method used in its production, specifically the steam press.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    All I can add, hurrah for Latakia, whatever it is added to. As Motie2 indicated, it has that camp - fire aroma, to me, that is its unique quality.
    A number of years ago, when the English blend I favored, changed, I began a search for a similar blend. A friend and fellow muzzleloader, gave be some " kinnikinnick ", a type of Native American smoking mixture. It did as I recall contain some tobacco, primarily consisted of herbal materials. It too had that camp-fire, Latakia aroma.
    A bit off topic.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    @dbh1950 -- Thank you for your post (above) about your experience with "kinnikinnick."  I try to learn something about our hobby every day, and your post accomplished that. It was gratefully received.
  • Options
    Old Dog Learning again, Kinnikinnick. I've seen ads on the web for Native American Twists, but never pursued it.
  • Options

Adding a little more to the confusion, but finally settling it, Greg Pease considers Latakia an aromatic tobacco. If Greg Pease tells you a hog can pick cotton, you might as well go ahead and get you a sack.

Here is where we discussed Latakia being an aromatic a few months ago over on the Smokers Forums............

http://http//www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?3082-Latakia-Blends-are-Aromatics&highlight=Latakia+aromatic

• Options

Adding a little more to the confusion, but finally settling it, Greg Pease considers Latakia an aromatic tobacco. If Greg Pease tells you a hog can pick cotton, you might as well go ahead and get you a sack.

Here is where we discussed Latakia being an aromatic a few months ago over on the Smokers Forums............

http://http//www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?3082-Latakia-Blends-are-Aromatics&highlight=Latakia+aromatic