Home General
Options

Three Blends I Don't Like - But When Mixed Together ... Wonderful

I've already narrowed my search for the ultimate aromatics flavors for Vanilla ... "Sutliff Vanilla Custard", Chocolate ... "Sutliff Chocolate Mousse" - and Maple - "Sutliff Rum and Maple" and "Maple Walnut". I'm waiting to try Plantation Barbados before I make my decision on Rum, but for the time being it's India Trading Company "Officer's Club". But as for fruit flavors, other than "Captain Black Grape" and "Panama Jack Key Lime", I've yet to find that ultimate fruit blends for cherry, berry, peach or apple. Don't know why but I had high hopes for Sutliff Raspberry Cobbler, but as is the case with most fruit flavored aromatics it tasted too chemically artificial. 

And by now anyone who has read any of my posts is aware of my dislike of English blends because of the Latakia. And when I bought four ounces of mixing Perique for experimental purposes I found it hard to get past that barnyard goat urine on straw smell that came with it. But yesterday I was feeling a little adventurous and thought I'd give my Captain Black "Black Sea" (with Latakia) another try. Then got the brilliant idea to mix it with the Raspberry Cobbler. And for an added touch ... why not add a little Perique as well. So I did.

I mixed up a small quantity of Black Sea and Raspberry Cobbler (about 50/50) then sprinkled on a smattering of Perique as a chef might add a condiment like salt or pepper to a steak. Just a touch. Took it outside and lit it up in one of my old basket work pipes. And I gotta' tell you ... it was wonderful. And wonderful is not an expression I thought I'd ever use when describing a Latakia blend.

The marriage between the smoky Latakia and the raspberry Cobbler was quite flavorful, with neither overpowering the other. For once I could understand why someone would like that burned wood flavor of Latakia. And that touch of Perique really brought it all together, as well as adding plumes of rich white smoke. 

So even though I may not have discovered my ultimate berry fruit flavored aromatic, I believe I've discovered a new English Latakia aromatic I can finally add to my rotation.

Comments