Home General
Options

Bubble Wrap, Styrofoam Peanuts, Air Filled Plastic Bags, Or Newspaper?

Nothing more exciting than receiving a package in the mail whether it's expected or not. That exhilaration as you pull out your trusty pocket knife and slice through the packing tape, trying hard not to damage what's inside the box, has yet to be duplicated. Then peeling back those pesky flaps of cardboard to peer inside at the treasures that await you ... ahhhhhh! 

But nothing dampens my spirit more than a box filled with Styrofoam packing peanuts, concealing my prized treasures within. As you plunge your arm to the bottom of the box those little buggers stick to the hair on your arms like magnets. Then a tidal wave of weightless peanuts spew out of the box like an erupting volcano as you retrieve your goodies, scattering across the table. And the slightest exhale through the nostrils can propel them across the table and onto the floor .. where a week later you'll find one that had been hiding under the kitchen table clinging to your sock. I Hate Styrofoam Packing!

The newest solution to packing seems to be inflated plastic bags. All my packages from P&C are shipped that way.

But here are my preferences ... starting from second to first. 

Number Two: Bubble Wrap. I love snapping and popping Bubble Wrap, and aggravating all those around me. Popping those little bitty bubble aren't much fun - barely get a stir out of my wife. But now Bubble Wrap with medium size bubbles ... when you fold it over and double it up - then stomp on it ... you can find yourself in the dog house for days.

Number One: Newspaper. Especially newspapers that come from different countries. I love looking at the local news stories and advertisements, even if I can't understand a damn word. Makes it more exotic and mysterious. Sometimes I get on the computer and type in a few sentences to translate to English - just to make sure they're not writing anything bad about me or my Momma. A package filled with crumpled up newspaper can sometimes be more satisfying and entertaining than the actual contents of the box.     

Comments

• Options
    I just received a rough hewn estate Carey freehand poker made in Israel Mediterranean briar with a slight forward cant and a slightly bent stem.  I won it at auction for under $20 including shipping. An ethanol and salt treatment, a reaming, (but not in that order) and a thorough cleaning and it's like new!!!!

It came in a box, wrapped in bubble wrap.
  • Options
    @motie2 Be sure to snap a picture once you've finished. I'd like to see it. And don't forget to pester your wife by popping that Bubble Wrap.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    I am happy just receiving the item ordered. Sometimes I will place the package on the table, waiting an hour or two just to heighten the excitement of opening the package. Not a big fan of the Styrofoam peanuts, possibly related to some environmental ideas, but, for all the vendors I have purchased from, no complaints on packaging, in some cases, I have emailed and thanked them fir the excellent and thoughtful packing work. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Here ya go. I don't have your creative touch, so I just snapped a couple of pics with my IPad mini.

• Options
    @motie2 Nice looking pipe, all the best with it.
  • Options
    @motie2 That is a great looking pipe. I didn't realize Carey pipes had such a nice variety of styles. I've got to start looking at the Carey pipe site more often. And wWho says you can't be creative. 
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I'm pretty sure I have a Styrofoam peanut allergy.
  • Options
    Bubble wrap is by far the funnest of all packing materials. Because of the dual usage, protection and fun, I vote this my first choice. The pillows are second and most annoying are the peanuts...ugh, how I hate them
  • Options
    Packing peanuts should never be discarded, as they are highly flammable and can be used in applications other than shipping. They would add virtually zero weight to an unmanned drone for example, or could be used in any design that was intended to self destruct.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    @Woodsman -- Thank you for your kind thought!

@ghostsofpompeii -- The selection at http://www.eacarey.com is nice, but limited. Check out  http://www.eacarey.co.uk/ or the 2017 European catalogue:

http://www.eacarey.co.uk/2017/05/spring-128th-edition-catalogue/

Also see http://www.eacarey.com/careyclassics.html and http://www.eacarey.com/eacarey-pipes-and-tobaccos-magazine.html

Another source for custom Carey's is eBay. I lost an auction for a fantastic saucer shaped Carey just a month ago. (Note: the better custom Carey's can be expensive wherever you find them, but bargains can be found in the used/estate categories at eBay).

Here is an example of a Carey Special Edition available at the US website for $45.00

I now have five Carey's, one Duncan Hill, and one sandblasted Charatan canted Zulu (from the same extremely generous benefactor who gifted me my Corona Old Boy).

• Options
    @motie2 At the time I bought my Carey I thought it was something no longer being manufactured because I couldn't find the filters anywhere ... even at places like The Tinder Box. As a matter of fact I believe it was the guy at the Tinder Box who told me the company had long been out of business. So when I discovered a place on EBAY selling the Carey filters I was ecstatic and bought a tube full of them which should last me a lifetime. Then one day I discovered a Carey Video on YouTube and discovered the company was still going strong. It's only then that I realized they had some nice looking pipes. But I don't believe I saw anything like you've posted. I wouldn't mind having one like that as well. I like the way a Carey pipe smokes.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I got a package in the mail the other day.  It had stryofoam peanuts in it.  One fell on the floor and my dog ate it. 
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    If I remember the article correctly,the "peanuts" are being made
    from corn starch or some other biodegradable material. I myself
    enjoy the larger air filled pillows,they pop louder and scare the dogs.
    Put's me in the dog house for an hour or two each time I make the
    Cha-wienies pee.