Home Ask an Expert
Options

Tin vs Bulk

In my experience the tinned tobacco has a better over all flavor than the same in bulk. Is this simply due to age of tins vs bulk or is there a real reason beyond this as to why they seem better?

Comments

• Options
    @chumpwine Sometimes I think it's a mental thing like people saying Coke or Pepsi taste better out of a bottle than a can. It's still the same old Pepsi - just in a different container. Also heard the same thing about the individually wrapped Twinkies in a box of 12 not tasting as good as the twin pack Twinkies. But you might have a point about the aging. If we're talking the same blend - maybe bulk is recently blended fresher tobacco whereas tinned is aged longer. I usually find that bulk blends (at least aromatics) seem to use better grade of tobacco in the tins than the blends I get in bulk. At least I try to justify that when paying more for the tinned tobacco than the bulk.
  • Options
    <<I usually find that bulk blends (at least aromatics) seem to use better grade of tobacco in the tins than the blends I get in bulk.>>

Again, I find myself in complete agreement with @ghostsofpompeii

Example: I find Sutliff bulk Creme Brulee to be almost the same blend as their tinned Molto Dolce, but give me a choice and I'll go with the Molto Dolce every time. That's why I substitute MD for CB in the recipe for Mrs. Hudson's blend.

And none of the Sutliff bulk rum-flavored blends can touch their Barbados Plantation.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    Certainly the tins are a lot more fun. They look cool. I love the little whoosh when you first open them.
  • Options
    I smoke mainly bulk, I think tobacco ages better in glass than tins.
  • Options
    I have noticed and this is not definitive, as if anything is, that tinned is loose in the can and gets blended and broken together over its shipping and handling bulk is vacuum sealed and is not really disturbed in shipping. I noticed that the bulk I get has longer cuts and is still quite course ribbons. In thinking more about this I wonder if tins are punched out in mass and then stored or warehoused for some time till they are moved to fill orders. Bulk may be a bit younger and not have as much age on it by the time it reaches the end user. Just a hunch
  • Options
    I'm thinking it depends if its something I love or something I want to try. 
  • Options
    I smoke mostly non aeros, with the exception of lakelands. I like saving the money on Bulk purchases when i can. like SG and Stokkeby flakes. Even though I enjoy good design and art work Ill pinch a penny where I can.  With these high quality blends i have not noticed any difference if they are all "Fresh" blends. Now if i find some New Old stock Tins in a store I will jump on those.