Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Short Stemmed Pipes

It seems that short stemmed/shanked pipes are all the rage these days.  It seems every YouTube pipe channel I"m subscribed to addresses smoking and collecting such pipes.  I've shied away from them thinking that they would only be useful for very brief smokes and tobaccos that are known to smoke cool.  I also thought given the size, the smoke would run hotter than I'd like.  What's your experience with such stubby pipes?  Do you find them to be good smokers?

Comments

• Options
    Considering we also have a discussion about the pipe and beard correlation I find the short stubby pipes to be a little too close to my facial hair. Also think the shorter the stem the hotter the smoke. I may be wrong about that - but it stands to reason that if your closer to the ember the better chance for pulling in the heat as well. I think the Carey Pipe has the best system for insuring a cool smoke since it draws cool outside air about the mid-way point of the stem. 
  • Options
    I just bought a short stemmed freehand Carey poker on eBay. I'll let you know......
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    Smoking a Moonshine Pipes devil anse as I type this. Very stubby pipe, and smoking Pease Cumberland which has smoked kind of hot for me in the past. The draw isn't much hotter than in my longer pipes. A little maybe but the negative is more about getting a lot more smoke up my nose and in my eyes. I bought it for quick trips away from the house but I'm smoking it at home now since I'm still breaking it in. Nice little smoker overall.
  • Options
    I have 2 "Nose Warmers" that I smoke rarely, I hate the smell of burning hair, especially mine.
  • Options
    While I haven't tried one, short stemmed pipes have never appealed to me. If anything, I've moved in the opposite direction with focusing on Canadian shapes.

I do see the appeal, especially if you keep a pipe in your shirt pocket and smoke on the go. Its easy to take with you and have a short smoke. Since I smoke my pipe in the garage and write and read, I don't want smoke getting in my eyes while I puff away. Plus, as others have said, I'd rather not set my facial hair on fire when lighting my pipe.
  • Options
    I'm not a shot stem fan either. 
    For a short smoke on the go, I keep a Missouri Meerschaum Legend in the truck.
  • Options
    I perfer a longer stem as I do not care to scorch my facial hair. That and I just like the look of a over sized pipe.
  • Options

The definition of nosewarmer, is any pipe below 4.75 inches. Average pipe lengths, are usually anywhere between 5.5 inches and 6.5 inches. Using a standard McDonalds soft drink straw, does anyone out there think that as fast as liquid travels thru a standard McDonalds straw, that smoke traveling .75 inches to 1.75 inches will cool considerably enough, that it will make a noticeable difference? The Hamburglar would have a field day! Just sayin...........

• Options
    Hey, what he said.....