Home General
Options

Yeeeowch!

Due to the frequent rains my 70' 14' diameter Black Walnut Tree has produced the largest crop of nuts I've ever seen, so many that I was very worried when they ripen to peach size and fall. I needn't worry, last night around midnight a large amount of them fell all at once. Unfortunately, all at once.IMG_0264
IMG_0265

Comments

• Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

Oh gosh!  Looks like that branch dented your roof, yes?

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of trees and houses. I have seen what can happen when the two are mixed.
  • Options
    Just a tad, and those nuts are only half the size of when they're ripe, a few years back I parked one of my cars where I thought was out of range, a Windstorm hit and a mass amount of rock hard walnuts made my hood look like a Golf Ball. In the past we'd park our cars in the church yard across the way for 2 or 3 weeks during drop time. Oh well.
  • Options
    And I was worried when we had over 2 inches of rain in less than an hour.
  • Options

We had a tornado rip through our neighborhood several years ago, uprooting trees and we had two great big oak trees partially uprooted and dangling precariously over our house ... but they had not yet fallen. I contacted my Insurance Company (State Farm) and was instructed that if the trees actually fell on the house they would cover the damage to repair the house. But since the trees had not yet fallen, they would not pay to have them removed beforehand. Now mind you - these tress were literally toppled over and the only thing keeping them from falling on my roof was they were caught up in the branches on trees surrounding them. Another good wind and they would have fallen. We also had other trees down in the yard - but they didn't make contact with the house. The insurance informed us that they would not would not remove the fallen trees in the yards either. That was our responsibility. And adding insult to injury. Because I was aware of the impending danger of the two trees currently dangling over my house, letting them simply wait and drop was not an option. Once I became aware the trees presented a hazard to the house it was my responsibility to have them removed at my own cost before they fell. Simply saying ... "Well Hell, I'll just let the damn trees fall on the house and then my insurance would cover it!" ... that wouldn't work because I knew a problem, made the insurance company aware, and so I was responsible to make sure that didn't happen. By the time everything was said and done it cost about $4,000 to have two or three removed - saving the insurance company for covering property damage to my yard from a tornado.  

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    When the hurricane passed through NJ four years ago, a gigantic gum tree came down and destroyed --totally-- two garages, one of which was ours.

The wonders of nature.....
  • Options
    Ah Yes, Sandy's Claws. I never thought I'd see 2 major city tunnels turn into water pipes. NJ Transit Management moved their trains to a safe place in the Hackensack Meadowlands, one of the lowest yard's. Salted Commuter Trains don't run too well. The list of damages is almost endless.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii  most homeowners policies come with modest limits for damage to trees and shrubs without damage to your home and then only caused by certain "perils" like fire or lightning.  It's a percentage of the limit you have for coverage on your home and then limited again for each tree ($500). I don't recall off the top of my head what my policy offers, but I assume it's $1,000 give or take.  As you point out, the typical homeowners policy will cover the damage to a home caused by falling trees and will then cover the cost to remove them and then lower them to the ground.  The cost to cut up and haul away the trees, however,  is typically limited too ($1,000), though additional limits are usually offered if you want to fork out the additional premium.  Yeah, it's a scam.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Way after the hurricane, our next door neighbor took down an immense black gum tree in his backyard that he felt was a threat. Cost him $7,000.00

And insurance doesn't cover a pre-emptive removal.
  • Options
    People - INSURANCE COMPANIES DON'T EXIST TO COVER DAMAGES TO YOUR PROPERTY, YOUR HEALTH, YOUR CAR OR ANYTHING ELSE! Insurance companies exist TO MAKE A PROFIT AND MORE MONEY for their shareholders. Insurance Companies work in collusion with banks and lawyers to have laws and regulations written that forces you to pay insurance companies. 

On top of that, part of the money you pay the insurance companies is then funneled to politicians (who are also mostly lawyers) through back door campaign contributions and to banks through kick-backs.

(This notice is the personal opinion of the poster. No animals were endangered in the forming of the opinion.)
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, I actually had one of my doctors tell me, that insurance don't exist to make sure you get the best health care possible, they exist to make their shareholders a profit. Then he made a statement about early retirement, and leaving his practice all together. He had me thinking for a second, that he was as much a victim, as I was.
  • Options

@PappyJoe That's my feeling exactly. All this talk about repealing and replacing Obama Care is bogus. Neither the Dems or Republicans care one whit about the health of the American people. They're all in bed with the Insurance industry and Pharma, and depend on them for campaign contributions. Until they understand what American's need is not a Health Insurance policy from a multi-billion dollar insurance industry that's beholding to stockholders and execs with extravagant salaries - but 'affordable health care'.

I recently saw a break-down of the yearly income for the CEO's of the major health care insurance company's and they range from $10 to $20 million a year ... up to $40 million for my particular policy Aetna. Now factor in all the individual employees at each company - and let's be kind and suggest they make about $60K a year ... which is probably kind of low. And now take that total figure and consider this ... not one penny of that money goes into paying for anyone's hospital bill. We don't need a moneymaking middleman to take our money and decide what medical procedure we need and what we don't need... what we need is to have our money applied directly to our actual medical bills.

I hate to sound like a Commie, but the answer is scrap the Insurance Companies - we don't need them - then put their heads together and agree to some single payer socialized medicine plan that benefits Americans, where our tax money actually pays our medical bills and not the bloated salary of insurance company Execs. Either that ... or drop the issue altogether, and let everyone who can afford insurance buy it like they did before the Government decided to tackle Nation Health Care. 

The Government doesn't pay for my car insurance - I get the coverage I can afford ... so why would I expect them to pay for my health insurance? It would be nice is they cared enough to solve the problem. But I guess 'health insurance' is not a Right we're all entitled to. It just seems like other Nations care enough about the citizens to provide some semblance of national health care. So you might expect the greatest nation in the world to do the same.   

And once we're taken the insurance companies out of the equation focus on the ridiculous prices hospitals are charging for medical procedures. The days of paying $10.00 or $20.00 for a Tylenol during a hospital stay should be over. When I asked an X-Ray tech why the price of my MRI was so outrageous he suggested it was because the equipment was expensive. To that I responded ... "That piece of equipment has been paid for many times over. Probably in the first six months in went into use. So there is no plausible reason to continue  to use that excuse when the equipment was paid for years ago."  This whole health care debate is a scam. As long as insurance companies remain part of the deal Americans will never have affordable health care. Just more rich Insurance Executives and career politicians who never leave office until they die at their desk.            

• Options
    Up date on my Subaru Tree Stand, lifted the branch and backed out, missed windshield but came down low enough to scratch the hood. A windy thunderstorm blew up yesterday and 8 walnuts came down on the hood leaving nice small dents before I could move it, The car is a 2003 that I use as a workhorse/city car, as taking a good car into New York is a great way to devalue it.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    We have a large very messy Black Walnut that broke a limb in a storm a couple weeks ago. It's in desperate need of a major trimming.  
  • Options
    @daveinlax
    You can probably get some nice tampers made from that Black Walnut limb. When I lived in New Jersey a neighbor had an old black walnut fall in his yard. He made some nice money by turning it into coffee table tops and walking sticks. 
  • Options
    So far 2 tree removal services have made offers on the tree, 1 want's $1,000 to remove it and the other offered free. It is a 70'+ tree that's 15' around 4' off the ground. Sliced down to veneer the tree is worth in Excess of $20.000.
  • Options
    @Woodsman I would hope you make a deal with a lumber company to process the tree and pay you what its worth.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    My neighbor paid $7,000.00 last summer to have one tree in their backyard removed. Sheeeeeeesh......