Home The Pack
Options

Returning Pipe Smoker

Boj3459Boj3459 Newcomer
After on absence of about 10 years because of health issues, I am taking up the pipe again.  I really missed the pleasures of a pipe while I was away.

Started smoking in 1962 and now at 75 looking forward to relearning the tricks to enjoying a pipe again. 

At one time, my collection consisted of 20 pipes.  Right now it'seems down to 8, but looking forward to collecting again.

Looking forward to being a member of this group.

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Boj3459 -- Hey, Charlie, welcome! 

And you win. At 75, you're one of our respected elders. I, myself, am a youthful 70. I resumed pipe smoking last summer after a several decade hiatus, and found myself with three pipes I held on to. I've since bought two estate pipes on eBay, and was gifted a lovely reborn Charatan. I also discovered that whereas I was an English blend and Virginia/Perique (VaPer) blend smoker back in the day, now I prefer the sweet aromatics. Go figure. 

Again, sir, welcome.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, now I'm not alone at the 75 mark anymore.
  • Options
    Welcome to the group Charlie. Glad to have you back among us. A lot has changed since you left ... more tobacco, more choices. But don't get too used to it - because we're about to have the hammer drop on us when the Deeming Regulations kick in. But chances are the tobacco you enjoyed back in the day are safe from the regulations. It's the new blends you'll be discovering and enjoying that might fall victim to any FDA changes. So do as much experimenting as you can in the next few months and discover what treasures there are out there. Then once you've found your true love ... stock up on it just to be safe.
  • Options
    Welcome back to the community!
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    Welcome, Charlie!  I started with the pipe in my early 30's.....then went more than 20 years pipe-less. My kids are all out of the house now, and I'm back to the pipe since 2015. I hope you enjoy the various pleasures of our distinguished pastime for many, many years to come!
  • Options
    Welcome, Charlie!  I dabbled for a few years with dip back when I briefly lived in St. Louis, then cigars, which I still enjoy and now pipes which are my true love.  Being a craft beer fan for decades, I've found experimentation is the best way to go, so I grab whatever new blend I can and stock up on what I like.  I'm more optimistic than some that the deeming regulations will be severely curtailed (I don't think it's a pipe dream...yeah, that was bad) or even eliminated for pipes and cigars once the idiots in Washington realize the rules were intended for vaping and not pipes and cigars.  Then again, they're idiots so who the hell knows.  Again, welcome!