Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Carry Container

Hey, just looking for some suggestions for containers to use if you just need to take enough tobacco for a few bowls, say for a fishing trip or weekend away.  I'm looking for something a little more than just a tobacco pouch.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Dutch was just talking about Baccyflaps. I don't remember which thread it was in but they are very nice. When fishing though you might want to stick with something simple like a little mason jar, as long as it's sealable. Myself, I'd be sure to take extra, you never know it it will rain and you have to wait it out on the porch. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    frushour007 -- Howdy!

For the Baccyflaps discussion, start at https://thispipelife.com/us/tpl/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/17513/#Comment_17513

But seriously, what would be wrong with saving an empty tobacco tin -- the kind that holds around 1.75 ounces and has a close fitting, semi-screw-on lid, i.e. not a simple pry off lid -- and repurpose it as a weekend tobacco container?   I've done it and firmly packed it's worked out OK......
  • Options
    Truth be told, I like to use the Baccyflap when I smoke at a local smoke shop, or pipe related event. However, day in and day out, I find small Tupperware style containers hard to beat. They are lightweight, difficult to damage, and it's super easy to spray the underside of the lid with distilled water, if I need to rehydrate overnight.
  • Options
    I still used the small mason jars which I put in my backpack whenever I"m attending an event.  There may be something else in there to go along with it, like beer or bourbon.  @Dutchx: never knew abouy the rehydrating method you speak of.  I'm going to try it with the Haunted Bookshop I've got jarred up.  Stuff smells like dried paper and is sorely in need of some moisture. Thanks for mentioning it.
  • Options
    Vacation was simple back then, I'd put in an 8 oz. tin of my favorite tobacco in my bag and that would be it. Today I take a few 1.5 oz. tins and  2 or 3 roll up pouches. My luggage smells great though. 
  • Options
    @jim102864, it was one of those simple solutions that had been right in front of me the entire time, I just never saw it until someone else suggested it to me.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @frushour007 I normally use mason jars and put the baccy in a ziplock baggy so I can toss a couple different, but similar, blends in the same jar.
  • Options
    I have a wooden baccyflap coming soon. I'll post a photo once I get it. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Where'd you find one????
  • Options
    S8ntsfanS8ntsfan Connoisseur
    I use these, two plastic bottle tops glued together (E for English, A for aromatics), small enough to fit almost anywhere, but holds a bowl full. Easy to make, and cheap. 
  • Options
    I bought a really neat little single strap "sling backpack". I got the waterproof desert canvas model (also available in leather). It is "smallish" but with plenty of room for wallet, cell phone, keys, pipes and tobacco. A small Mason Jar would fit as well. My wife calls it my "Man Purse", my daughter called it a "Murse", and one of my Grandsons called it my "Safari Bag". In fact I was wearing one of my old GI "Boonie" hats and he wanted to know if I was going on Safari. Well that is respect for you.

But the bag is very useful and serves me well. It can be worn over the head to one side or just on one shoulder. You can remove the shoulder strap and carry it by a canvas handle at the top. I just looked to see if I could find the order or receipt to no avail so I could post the vendor but to no avail. I am sure there are multiple sources online to buy them. They are maybe twice as large as a standard GI Ammo bag.

So if a little kidding does not bother you, you might want to try one of these. Neat piece of equipment.