Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Elementary My Dear Watson... My Calabash Journey.

This past Saturday was a scorcher here in Pinehurst.  The mercury was 100 F and the heat index was over 110 !

Way too hot to go golfin, for me at least, so my son and pipe pal Nick and I decided to go hit up some antique shops and see what we could see.

The first couple were "Granny Antique" shops, you know, full of china, crystal and figurines.  The third place was pretty decent.  Not too big, but in a neat old victorian house built in 1870 sumthin.  The ower, a nice lady, was very friendly and took us on the nickel tour.  I shared that I was looking for things for my mancave and primarily interested in tobaciana types of things, specifically pipe and cigar stuff.

She took me over to a book case that had a few shelves of Decatur pipe stands, rests and cigar ashtrays.  When it was all said and done I left there with 5 single pipe rests and one 3-pipe stand, all walnut & pecan that she was askin $70 or $80 for.  I got her down to $20.

Nick picked up a really neat pewter stein from Amsterdam, got her down to $10 on that.  :)

On the way out she told me that she did have one pipe... A Sherlock Holmes type of pipe.  Turns out it was an unsmoked Calabash with a Meerschaum bowl.  The stem was vulcanite but the mount/shank was acrylic or plastic.

She was asking $189 for it, OBO.  I looked it over, the cork seal was in good shape, the stummel/gourd was in great shape, as was the mount and the stem.  The only downside was that the stem was brownish from oxidation.

I politely shared that I really wasn't in the market for such a pipe.  She pressed me a little bit and asked what I would offer her for it.  I explained that in my limited opinion, I thought the pipe wasn't really all that old and that although it was in great shape, it had no markings whatsoever and was what we referred to as a "No Name" pipe.  The acrylic/plastic mount lead e to believe it was probably only 5 to 15 years old at best.

With all of that being said I offered her $30.  She pondered just a few seconds and said that she really couldn't take less than $40.

I again politely thanked her and suggested she try ebay.

After I got home that evening I got online and started looking up Calabash's.  I concluded that $40 wasn't a bad price, especially considering the great condition of the pipe.

So, today I took an extended lunch break and drove back up to her shop.  She was surprised to see me and asked if I was back for the Sherlock Holmes pipe?  I shared that I would like to look it over again and proceeded to thoroughly examine it.

When it was all said and done with I told her I'd pay the $40 if she would throw in a pipe rest for the Calabash and another of the 3-pipe stands.

She agreed.

So here it is....

Before...

And after I cleaned up the stem

And finally sittin on the shelf with her new stable mates, some Bent Bulldogs....

Comments

• Options

Bonanza, you did well!

If I am not mistaken, that is a Pioneer calabash, most likely from the 1970's era. The best ones have meerschaum bowls. Some you will find have porcelain bowls, and tend to be less desirable by most collectors. Judging from the thickness of the bowl vertically, I would say yours is definitely meer. The porcelain ones are typically much thinner.

I usually clean mine by removing the meerschaum bowl and stem, find something to prop the pipe vertically, then fill with a distilled spirit. When you are ready to pour out the residue, make sure to pour it out the smaller stem end of the gourd. You don't want any distilled spirit coming in contact with the cork lining on the larger end.

If you ever need repairs on your gourd meer, I believe Mark Tinsky is still doing those type repairs.

http://amsmoke.com/

Personally, I would have a hard time breaking in that pipe, being as old as it is, and considering the depreciation it would cause. Her original asking price was not that high, considering the pipe has never been smoked.

• Options
  • Options
    Gotta come clean here Dutch.

I just finished a bowl of aged Margate in her.

Man was it absolutely exquisite !

Cool, dry and brimming with extraordinary flavor.

I think I've found my dedicated Esoterica Pipe!
    (good thing I guess since I've probably ruined it's resale value)

Thanks again for your input though.
  • Options
    Bonanza, now you see why so many of us like the calabash. It truly is a form follows function design, and functions better than most any reverse calabash, or second chamber design. It takes so much moisture out of the smoke stream, it is very easy to smoke with no tongue bite.
  • Options
    Great story Bonanzadriver!  Your purchases were an amazing bargain.  Most of the antique shops are not quite aware of the value of some tobacco-related collectables so sometimes it's easy to get lucky.  You did well sir.    
    Respect
  • Options

@Bonanzadriver Great looking pipe. I think everyone needs at least one calabash in their collection. Not something I'd recommend for a clencher since they are more of a holding pipe. Mine smokes great - but I don't use it as often as I should.

You did a great job cleaning it up.

It took me a few trips to the antique store before I pulled the trigger and finally bought my Burl King Danish Thumhole/Bridge Pipe. Sometimes it just takes a little pondering before you realize it's something you want to add to your collection. And if you're lucky enough it'll still there when you return. I've lost out on a few because I was hesitant ... then when I decided to buy it the pipe was gone.  

• Options
    Beautiful calabash Bonanza! I used to think calabash pipes looked a bit silly, but I've come around to appreciating them and like their uniqueness. I hope I can add one to my collection one day.
  • Options
    Beautiful clabash. I have a similar one with a meerschaum bowl. My only question is, "Are you sure it's a gourd?" It could be a mahogany.
    If you look inside of the "gourd" and it's smooth than it's probably a gourd. If it has "ribs" in it it's probably not a gourd.

Sherlock Holmes never smoked a calabash by the way. The connection between a calabash and Holmes was one stage actor who didn't want to block his face with the pipe.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Bonanzadriver -- Great job, and more reason for me to covet......

• Options
    Pappy,

It turns out it is indeed a gourd calabash...

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/gourd-calabash-pipes-by-pioneer/

With a little help from a fellow calabasher on another forum we were able to determine that it is a "Pioneer" Gourd Calabash.  The factory produced these from the mid 60's to the mid 80's.

So, it's older than I thought and I'm even more appreciative of the fact that I picked up a 30 to 40 year old un-smoked calabash .

Motie my friend, nothin to covet bud.  But I'll be on the look out for one and will let ya know when I find it.   :)
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver - Mine looks a lot like yours so it May be a Pioneer also. I was able to compare mine side by side with a Mahogany Calabash, so I know its a gourd. Mine was well used with a couple of cracks in the bowl when I found it for $30 bucks, so I just cleaned it and smoke it. I really need to buy a new bowl for it.

calabash_1961
  • Options

Here's mine.....

PioneerCalabash
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

It appears that we all have Pioneer Calabash's.  From talking with Terry, on the other site, and reading what he sent me about Pioneers, the differentiator seems to be the "Top Hat" shaped plastic/acrylic shank/mount.

Pappy, it appears to me that the height of the bowl on your pipe is taller/thicker than the one I have.

Obviously not knowing much about these pipes, I don't know if this means anything with regards to age or model or????
  • Options

Bonanza, Here is an example of a porcelain gourd Calabash, for sale on ebay right now. The seller has it listed as meerschaum, but the dead giveaway is the thinness of the bowl vertically, as well as the carving on the gourd. Every time I see one of these porcelain Calabash for sale, they usually always have the carved gourd.

If you ever find one of these for a low price, you can easily have it fitted with a new meerschaum cup, which for obvious reasons is the superior material compared to porcelain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322617219382?ul_noapp=true

• Options
    I negotiate for a living (or used to more than I do now) and you did a better job than I probably could have.  Your son too.  In fact, I'd like to see a picture of the stein.  We're going to Holland in September (and Oktoberfest in Munich) which is why I'm interested.

@PoppyJoe : do you recall who the actor was that you were referring to?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe and jim102864 -- <<The gourd Calabash is the pipe most identified with Holmes, with its deep bend, golden color with the whitish meerschaum bowl and chamber and black military stem, but this pipe was never mentioned in any of the stories. 

It became associated with Holmes because of an American actor named William Gillette (who built Gillette Castle in Connecticut) who chose it so his pipe wouldn’t block his face from the audience, and the smoke would also be out of his line of sight. 

The Calabash would have been impractical for Holmes to smoke outside of 221B Baker Street as it is a large and unwieldy pipe. As a bit of an inside joke, although Jeremy Brett never smoked a Calabash in the British Granada TV series, if you look on his mantel in some of the shows, you will see one lying on the shelf. >>

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @Bonanzadriver that was an amazing find.  I've been debating for a while on pulling the trigger on a calabash pipe and lucked out a few weeks ago and picked up an estate, smoked, gourd calabash (pioneer from the looks of it and what you have posted), with a untracked bowl.  I can't wait to try it out but from what everyone says it should be a great smoke.
  • Options
    Those gourd calabash pipes look great! @Bonanzadriver  excellent find, I am constantly on the lookout for one myself whenever I go into antique shops, etc.