Home General
Options

The In's & Out's of TPL?

randellirandelli Enthusiast
Being new here, I am having a bit of trouble navigating the site, so I thought I would ask a few questions:

I have to log in all the time - is this normal?
If I try to use the number list my keyboard flashes off (tablet).
If I try to post a new discussion my keyboard flashes off (phone).
The site is a totally different experience on my phone vs tablet vs laptop.
I just realized those last three are statements so the questions are implied...
Is there a like feature?
Is there a quote feature?
Is there a way to see all new posts over all of the catagories? 
Does the photo upload work with the standard hot link, or, do you need to cupload to the site first?
Is there a FAQ for questions like these?
Is there a way to "sticky" a thread so it is always accessible? 
Can you favorite a thread and get notified of new posts?
Is there a for sale or trade section? Is this allowed?
Can you PM another member through the site?
Can you add other information to your profile aside from your avatar?
Can you post video?

I guess that is all for now.  Just wanting to know how to enjoy this more.

Comments

• Options
    Yes the logging on each time is a requirement.  Guess it is for the age validation since they are a Tobacco company sponsoring it.

I've never tried the site except on the laptop because of similar issues people have had.

If you click the discussions button on the left (with the book) it shows the latest discussions.

I haven't figured out how to sticky anything or even make a shortcut since it requires that log on screen at least daily if not more.

If you click a person on here, you can message them directly.

I believe there is a tobacco trade thread out there already.  But they frown on the standard FB posts daily about commercial sales.

Welcome and hope that helps some.
  • Options
    There's a post to inform members about tobacco specials on sale at online dealers
  • Options
    TPLon phone or pad not as easy as on a laptop or desktop.

Look to the right of the name/topic and you will see a little tag thing. Click on it and that will designate the topic as a favorite.
  • Options
    Sorry. That will bookmark the topic.
    No editing allowed.
    No quote feature
    No FAQ
  • Options
    @randelli
    Yes phones and Tablets have issues on this site, some are better than others, the iPhone seems to work better than my Amazon Fire Tablet.
    We have been asking for the Edit key for comments for a while, I do see an edit key for posts you make, haven't used it yet so not sure what it will allow you to do.
    Bookmarks are about all you have to tag a subject you like, you click the ribbon for bookmark and then you can click the star up top by your user name and see all bookmarked pages.
    I have noticed that some new comments and posts show "NEW" on them while some others do not, not sure why it does that?  ADMINS?? Can you explain why all new messages are not marked NEW?
    As for trading Tobacco and other related stuff, I mad a trading post Post and a few of us have used it and so far things have gone smoothly.
    We have all talked about adding a like button to each comments so members could like the posts, the developers and Admins have yet to do anything like that. ( I will mention it again in my posts to the Admins, maybe add some kind of point system to that as well)
    Sticky is only for admins, they can stick the TPL Posts to the top and hold them there, as of now I do not think we have the ability to do that.
    Not sure on Videos other than links to Youtube Videos, only way to find out is to just try it, can't remember if I tried it or even did it and have a video on here....

OK I know I jumped around and I am sure I missed a few but there it is in a nutshell for you.

• Options
    Edit button on topics is NOTHING, clicked it on one of my posts I made, it says page not found, maybe it is something they are working on?

• Options

The only Edit button I know is available only when you choose Preview first.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Could it be better? Certainly.

But I'm grateful that this website exists at all -- a oasis of (relative) sanity, when compared to many other pipe forums.
  • Options
    @woodsman - You mean we are SUPPOSED TO PREVIEW before posting comments? Where's the fun in that?

• Options
    @Woodsman, as Pappy said where is the fun in that?  On a serious note even previewing you can miss something and then see it after you send it.  My eyes sometimes play tricks on me and this type is dull grey as I type it so makes it hard for me to preview.  Another reason I would like to see different font colors available Nothing EXTREME but some blues, dark reds, dark greens and maybe another bright color or two for important stuff.   LOL 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Mauve. Gotta be mauve. Or lilac.
  • Options
    Yeah, colours would be a cool option.
  • Options
    Colors would be good too
  • Options
    @randelli -- Totally feel your pain with the TPL site on anything but a laptop. Most of the time I have to log out (even though I'm actually not logged in) and then log back in and wait a LONG time as it authenticates before I (hopefully) get a SUCCESS! I've found that mobile Safari is more consistently successful than mobile Chrome on my iOS devices.
  • Options
    What I have personally found with my ios devices is that I have to delete my user name and password and re-enter them to log in. If I don't, the log in just hangs. This particular problem seems to be the interface between the TPL servers and the keychain on the ios devices.

This problem doesn't exist on either my desktop iMac or my Macbook Pro. From what I understand, it's not a problem on PC devices either.

My "complaints" about TPL are mostly cosmetic. Things like how slow it is switching conversations, changing categories, @motie2 avatar, etc.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe -- And what offends you about my pic?
  • Options
    @motie2 - You look like Professor Snape (from the Harry Potter movies) if he had a beard and glasses. (you realize I'm just joking of course and it has nothing to do with a big mouth comment someone made on another topic.)

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe -- Perhaps you'd prefer this mugshot from my 1971-1972 Southern Michigan State Penitentiary ID pass?

SMP pass
  • Options
    @motie2 - LOL. Stop it. You'll scare the children.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the input!  I did find a way to edit if you click on the "options" wheel. At least I think I did. I have not been able to reply to any topics on either my phone or tablet - I click in the box and my keyboard flashes on then off again. I thought I would try again on my laptop. 

What I find strange is that the site is advertised as being for the younger tech-savvy crowd and not old and decrepit like those other sites your dad goes to. Well....  I'm not complaining; but it certainly could have more functionality - and I'm an old fart!

Edited to add: I tried out the edit feature again. It works as described and gives you 1 hour to make any necessary changes.
  • Options
    I will say this: There is one thing that I absolutely love about the site; and that is when you open a thread you are automatically taken to the first not-read post. Some sites have a button you can hit, some sites you have to scroll through till you find one you don't recognize. Credit where credit is due!!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @randelli -- OK, I'll bite: What and Where is the "options wheel" you mention???????????????????????????
  • Options
    After you post, if you hover over your post, a gear icon pops up. I thought it was for settings, as that is what that icon normally indicates, but when you hover over that it says "options".

Try it out. You should have 48 minutes left on your timer.
  • Options
    YAY! I just got my 10 comments badge!

Before long I will have more badges than a North Korean General.....
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @randelli -- Congrats on the 10 Comments badge!!!

Sorry for being obtuse (I'm 70) but hover where over my post?
    The only gear icon/wheel I can find shows "Edit" and leads to: 

PAGE NOT FOUND
    The page you were looking for could not be found.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 3.22.29 PM
  • Options