Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe Classes

Gentlemen

I apologize if I am asking a question on something that has been answered / posted previously. I looked through the posts in what I thought to be the most appropriate to no avail. As my wife always tells me I don't look very well as she always finds stuff that I cannot. My question is this: Does anyone have info, or can explain the often used "pipe classes" (sizes) refers to as "groups". I often see comments in pipe ads that claim to be Grade 5 or whatever, and I am assuming that refers to criteria such as bowl size, diameter, depth, etc., perhaps length of the stem and weight of the pipe?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the required criterion for grading?

Thanks guys and gals.......

Comments

• Options
    @pwkarch,Groups are what is used to determine bowl size, it's what Dunhill uses to describe the size of their pipes so everyone else uses the same system: for example a Group 1 would be the smallest and a Group 5 would be a huge, oversize bowl and everything in between.Hope that helps.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    There is a difference between grading (the quality of the briar) and the grouping (the size of the briar). The grading goes 1st, 2nd ... and the group is what Mr. Pipeman is talking about.

First grade is flawless, quite like myself. They are from the oldest briars and the wood is very dense, also like myself. Second grade, a little less desireable and used in slightly lower quality pipes. They go down from there.

As far as the grouping you would have to look at each manufacturer individually and see their protocol. for example Castello uses a letter system that includes K, KK, KKK, G &tc.... In that case they may have needed to create their own sizing since a Castillo compared to a Dunhill is like comparing Laurel to Hardy (size wise). For the most part I think they stick close but I don't know if there is a standard.

It is obvious that it was a foreign country (to the U.S.) that have a sizing system that contains multiple K's. I would think that one particular size would not be popular. Even though it's innocent, they should just retire that size moniker.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.......
  • Options

I would agree with everything that has been said, and would like to add a few points.

Firstly, the reason you will see an online seller referring to their pipes as a group 1 thru 5, is because Dunhill was so huge at one time, in setting the standards for pipes and quality of pipes, that folks started to refer to pipes that were not Dunhill brand, by Dunhill group sizing, in order to convey the general size of the pipe. This has become the standard with a lot of online sellers, because the only other way to convey size, is to list measurements as well as pipe weight in grams or ounces.

As for grading, each brand name as well as artisan pipe maker have their own grading system. Some are simpler than others, but most all are unique. This can be one of the aspects of pipe collecting that creates a bit of a challenge for the new collector. A knowledgeable collector can be quite impressive to converse with, when they know right off the top of their head, the grading system for most any pipe maker discussed.

Learning and memorizing grading systems and transition periods, can add a very interesting dimension to an already rewarding hobby. It can also allow a collector to instantly recognize a gem of a find, instead of letting it slip thru their fingers. Pipes and collectible tobacciania can be similar in nature to collecting stamps and coins, and the more you learn and retain, the better hunter you can become.

If anyone is interested in beginning that journey of learning, the Pipes Magazine Radio Show is an excellent place to begin. Not only are the archives deep, the information there is thoroughly researched and very accurate.

Here is a link that some may find interesting, that covers some Dunhill history. It can give you an idea, just how interesting and detailed pipe collecting can be.

http://www.loringpage.com/pipearticles/The%20Early%20Dunhill%20OD.htm