Home General
Options

Pipe Community Goodness

As we all know, the pipe community is full of friendly and kind people. What are some of your stories of how others have shown you the true colors of this community?

Comments

• Options
    I have great experiences interacting with the pipe community on IG. Seems like every week I'll have a good discussion about pipes or tobacco with someone on there.

When I first started smoking a pipe and joined a forum, there were two instances where guys on there sent me samples or ounces of pipe tobacco because I was a new piper. The first one was especially helpful in guiding me past aromatics and into Virginia and Va/per blends. I gained a lot of favorites thanks to the two of them.

I also went to the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club for the first time last month. I normally don't get a chance to smoke a pipe with anyone, so this was a fantastic experience for me. Can't wait to go to the next meeting.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I agree, there are many many great people on IG in the pipe community. They have helped me more than I could imagine! I'm glad that I am now to the point in my knowledge, tobacco collection, and pipes/tools that I can begin to pay it forward as others did for me. 
  • Options
    the old owner of the tobacco shop i lamented about in a post a week or so ago...he was such a nice guy..always giving me free tins of tobacco..sold me pipes from the box of unclaimed repaired pipes..for the cost of the repair no less! most of my meers are ones he had in his case for a long time that never sold..they would start to discolor or maybe get a chip in them he would put in aside with my name on it with a tin of tobacco and some rediculis low price for it! damn i miss that guy!
  • Options
    Wow, thats awesome! Sounds like a great guy!
  • Options
    I moved to Houston a little over a year ago.  My wife and I are teachers and have been socializing through our work, but I feel like the older we get the harder it is to make new friends. In May I went to the Houston pipe club for the first time.  I have been twice, and have been overwhelmed with the friendliness and willingness to share in the pipe community.   if you ever on the Houston on the first Friday of the month, stop by Stogies on Westheimer in Houston and you will feel at home.
  • Options
    Great to hear @subtilis87. Most people from Houston I know are very friendly and kind, so it's not that much of a surprise to hear that. 
  • Options
    I just got a surprise package of about a pound of various baccys (some 2012 Mccleand 2000, Boswells Dutch Treat, Butternut Burley, and a few others). I had paid it forward a few months ago and this person found out I liked pipes, so he surprised me with a box full of goodness!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Today, my local was having a rep come down for a pipe event. He got stuck in traffic for 5 hrs because of a few accidents and he never made it down. The shop didn't let anyone know, so I head over there to see what kind of horsef***ery I can get into and of course no one is there but the guy manning the shop. Shortly after, another guy comes in for the event as well. So we start talking to each other. He recommends some bulk tobaccos and I get an ounce each. On the way out he gives me his number and YouTube channel, then asks me to walk to where he's parked. I figure, no big deal, we're talking still anyway. This guy, that I just met, proceeds to hand me two bags of tobacco and is telling me about them. I go to hand them back and he says no, you can take those. We talk for about 30 more minutes and then parted ways.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Well about 8 months back,after a really bad ice storm.We were facing some rather difficult financial
    issues.Too many people in the house and only one semi-reliable income.We had to part with our
    three outdoor dogs,as well as make our sons SO move back with her mother.Our income is such
    that I have to scrimp and save to order online and going to the B&M is a treat saved for found money.
    Anyway,I was chatting with a fellow on another forum and he kind of got me talking about upcoming
    holidays and with that he then proceeded to contact another member of the site.About three weeks
    after our conversation I get a package in the mail,note inside says "BooM".Over the next 2-3 weeks
    I was getting hit every 2-3 days.I still have over two hundred cigars and about two pounds of pipe
    tobaccos that they sent.I have never been the recipient of such kindness before,ever.Pipe
    and cigar smokers are the finest people,and to be able to join with such people if only
    on a public forum is the Highest Honor I have ever know.