Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Our Health, Your Thoughts?

I am not a smoker, never was and i still dont consider myself one. My mother smoked for a very long time, Kool's was her brand. She died of lung cancer.  However, I do enjoy my pipe now and again and i don't inhale. I just read the history of tobacco and would like your thoughts on this and share your concerns, if any, on any potential health issues.

The History of Tobacco

Comments

• Options
    Sittin @ work and doin a little surfin in between meetings and phone calls here.

I do remember reading a couple of different studies, in years past, that there was no appreciable difference in the mortality rates between Non Smokers and Cigar/Pipe smokers.  Something like less than  0.5 or 0.6% difference.

For folks that sit around with a cigar hangin outta their mouths all day, I'm sure there's some increased risk of lip, mouth, tongue or throat cancer.

At the end of the day we all know that there are inherent risks associated with tobacco.  No different than when I used to hop in my plane and fly myself down to FL or out to AZ.  There are inherent risks in almost anything we do.  The question is, are they worth it.

One of my life long interests has been to summit Mt. Everest.  Don't know why, heck I don't even go hiking, let alone "Mountain Climbing".  At one point I did a little research and learned that the costs were pretty substantial, as far as money goes.

But the costs that were unacceptable to me were the risk of life costs.  Something along the lines of 10% or more.  In 2015 alone there were 24 deaths and Zero summiters that year!

If pipe or cigar smoking were that risky, I'd stop.

But they're not & I won't.  :)
  • Options
    Just remember. 
    Cigar smoking contributed to the death of George Burns...

He was 100 years old when he died.
  • Options
    My guess is, we have a lot more to worry about ingesting genetically modified foods, and Clenbuterol HCI meats produced by the meat industry. Pipe tobacco may eventually get you, but it will be a long time after something else does, and by then you will already be dead, and won't know it.
  • Options
    I'm more worried about the Chem Trails in the sky than my pipe tobacco. I don't inhale my pipe. But you can't escape from the air we breath. 
  • Options
    I started smoking in high school a long, long time ago. At that time I also started piping, however at that age you are always moving and never relaxing, so the pipe was just a once in a while thing. I graduated HS in'66 and we all know what was facing us in SE Asia, so I enlisted in the Navy. When I got to the fleet, I was told we would not be near any provisions, so stock up (a Minesweeper with NO ships store and a LONG cruise ahead). I went onboard for our getting underway with my seabag on one shoulder and a rope tied case of Pall Mall Cigs. on the other. I smoked the entire time in the Navy with an occasional cigar or a pipe, but cigs were the daily vice.

After the Navy I continued to smoke mostly cigs until I met my wife. One evening I got up, went to the kitchen, and shitcanned a pack of cigs in my pocket to never look back. That was 1974 and I have never had a cig since that day......I did however increase my cigar and pipe use. There were intervening years where for whatever reason I did not smoke much (kids, etc.), but about 20 years ago or so I got really into cigars again and amassed a decent collection of premiums that I keep well guarded and humidified, and they treat me just right. Hell I actually smoked cigars while riding my motorcycle (they would last about 15 minutes).

About 12 months or so ago I decided that now officially an old man, I needed to clean my pipe collection and play the role. I am having a ball with my pipes and the incredible availability of so many great tobaccos these days. So much so that I have over 60 different blends that make me feel like a kid in a candy store all jarred up and calling my name. I will very occasionally get out a really good cigar just to check my cigars' environmental conditions.

So as I get even older here, I believe that my tobacco usage over the years being mostly cigar and pipes, thus no direct inhaling of smoke, has not negatively impacted my health, at least I hope I am correct. Oh I have or I am getting all of the semi geriatric issues such as weight, BP, Cholesterol, BS, and I just had melanoma surgery, but I told my doctor I am not stopping cigars or pipes as I want to be a happy old fart. I can sit on the screen porch in the evening as the sun goes down and just zone out with thoughts running through my head. Sometimes I can very quickly think of a million things that worry me a whole hell of a lot more that my tobacco use. I have 6 grandkids to worry about.

If I am going to go, I am going to go smoking, hopefully with a glass of good scotch in my hand......and with only a few regrets.
  • Options
    Both my Grandfather's died at around 63 years old, so I've already outlived them by five years. Looking at it from that angle I'm living on borrowed time anyway. But then again my Dad is still alive and we celebrated his 94th birthday on June 28th. so if I follow suit I might have another 25 years ahead of me if I play my cards right, eat healthy, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Yet smoking my pipe would seem to be something of a contradiction. But my Dad smoked cigarettes for nearly half of his adult life and spend something like 46 years working in the Steel Mill as a welding ... breathing God knows what fumes 8 to 10 hours a day. And with the exception of the normal aches and pains associated with the natural aging process, and difficulty hearing, he's in relatively good health. So taking all those factors into play my plan is to live every day to the fullest, realistically accept the notion we're not guaranteed our next breath, and thoroughly enjoy the remaining years of my life with my pipe as a constant companion. Pipe smoking keeps me in a better frame of mind, relaxes me, keeps the old brain working overtime as I find myself reflecting on pleasant memories of the past with the clarity of High Definition TV, ponder life's problems in a more analytic way rather than my normal knee-jerk reactions, and it stimulates the grey matter to function on a variety of levels. I'm reminded of the Rod Sterling introductory narration to "The twilight Zone" ... " You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving in a land of both shadow and substance, things and ideas. You've crossed over into THE SMOKING ZONE." And your pipe is the key to that door.    
  • Options
    Just read the History of Tobacco article. Interestingly, pipe smoking is never mentioned.
  • Options
    Well said Ghost......as I sit here and stir a mix of two tobaccos to dry out to smoke a little later. I agree with all that you said. I find it a little difficult these days to do what I was always used to doing, but I will never just give up. When I go I expect to go down in flames 
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Like any and all things: Too much of something is never good..  However, you have one life to live.  Enjoy yourself.  
  • Options
    I'm 55 years old and started smoking a pipe when I turned 21, in 34 years of enjoying the hobby I have never had any health issues, I'm active, watch what I eat, I'm not overweight , I don't take prescription meds, I get regular check-ups, I use natural supplements, I never smoked anything except a pipe, smoked cigars occasionally but quit.