Home The Lounge
Options

New in The Lounge: CARING FOR YOUR NEW ESTATE PIPE

So, you outbid me on the Estate Pipe. Great! Congratulations! It finally arrives. You smile beaming, and then... What the...? The pipe was never cleaned.

Learn to rebab that new estate pipe: https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/31/

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Milady Nicole,

@PappyJoe and others have been seeking your attention.....
  • Options
    She's been hiding... I mean working behind the scenes with the programmers trying to make This Pipe Life better.

That's her story and she's sticking to it.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Once again, as a public service, this repost:

<<How to Buy an Estate Pipe on eBay

Pipe smoking or collecting elicits images of dark libraries, curling smoke and aged whiskey. Regardless of if you are a collector or are toying with the idea of pipe smoking, there are a few ways to get a great piece for less to capture the nostalgia of this masculine accessory.

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale: new and estate.

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. These estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions. Imagine finding a pre – war top of the line John B. Stetson, or a real Ferrari Dino for pennies on the dollar.

Estate pipes represent such an opportunity. If you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

eBay is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent estate pipe. There are literally tens of thousands of items under “ pipes” on eBay. However, a huge percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best postponed until one has gained the experience to be a savvy buyer. >>

Here some tips to purchasing pipes on eBay:

1. There are no great pipes for a dollar or two. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 
    2. Most of the Made-in-China pipes that say “quality” are pure junk. 
    3. If it has a metal bowl or is made of plastic move on. 
    4. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. Brands like Savinelli, Peterson, Dunhill, Stanwell and Davidoff will always offer you a great smoking experience if it’s authentic and the pipe is in good condition. Even less expensive brands like Dr. Grabow offer a good introduction to pipe smoking. 5. Look for pipes made from Briar and Meerschaum only. 
    6. Before buying or bidding, research the pipe with Google to see reviews and information. 
    7. There is such thing as counterfeit pipes so be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 
    8. When in doubt, ask your fellow members on TPL about the pipe. Most are happy to help and will even vet the listing for you in some cases.
  • Options
    I've picked up a couple of estates in the last week, a Peterson through the Country Squire (great 15% off sale there) and a Castello Sea Rock off ebay.  Both of them are great smokers and have introduced me to some of the more premium brands which I haven't touched yet.

I think I'm much more comfortable buying from either really established ebay sellers (people who sell estates for a living) or through a good store (like the squire).

Oh.. you can buy estate cobs also.  I like those since I swap out the bits anyways on all of them to something better than MM puts on there.
  • Options
    PhilosoPiperPhilosoPiper Connoisseur
    Just last Friday I had another great estate haul, not dissimilar to my large Dunhill find.
    This last haul included 3 Castellos, 1 Il Ceppo, 1 Ser Jacopo, 1 Mastro de Paja. (I will post pictures when I can)
    Being that I am for some reason blessed with the ability to find these types of pipes seemingly semi regularly, and the fact that I don't trust myself to clean these pipes the way that I deserve. I send them off to be restored.

The Briar Shoppe here in Houston, will send estate/dirty/etc. pipes and have them cleaned and restored. I cannot remember the name of the fellow who actually does the restoration, if I remember correctly he is out of Tennessee. But he does incredible work.