Home The Lounge
Options

Wine & Tobacco, what is your favorite paring?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I wonder what “fuming” a wine glass with tobacco smoke from your favorite blend would do?  I have seen this done with whiskeys and bourbons and people seem to enjoy it.  I would think that some wines might take on a (good) new dimension with a tobacco fumed glass🤔.   Myself, I could see some heavy red wines that might work, lighter wines might be “steam-rollered” however.  I’m not much of a wine person, and definitely not a connoisseur, would such an act be sacrilegious to a wine aficionado?  It has probably already been done.  I will have to check the google and the interwebs 😉
  • Options
    @Londy3 I've just been introduced to "Wild Hate" and love it. Seen it offered at Pipes&Cigars in the 'garage sale/close out' section and bought three tins. When I opened the first tin and smoked a few bowls I was hooked. So I re-ordered an additional four tins on the outside chance it's going to be discontinued since it's in the 'close-out- section. At lease I have six tins in my cellar if that's the case.
  • Options
    Not much of a drinker but if I were I'd be more along the lines of a hobo ... the cheaper the better. So if they still make "Ripple" that would be my wine of choice. And I guess if I'm going that route I might as well pick a cheap OTC blend like Carter Hall to pair with it. I can see myself sitting on an old wooden pallet in the corner of a box car guzzling wine with a few fellow travelers riding the rail - all the while puffing on a battered old corn cob pipe, scratching my flea bites. Now, that's the life. You guys can drink your fancy wine and expensive tobacco ... give me a bottle of cheap wine in the company of dangerous derelicts, in a pitch black box car ... now that's my idea of fun.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Birds of a feather?
    PAGAN PINK RIPPLE AND BOONE'S FARM APPLE AND STRAWBERRY!!!!!
    I got thru four years of college, avoiding beer.
    (Now I drink Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. Woo woo.)
  • Options
    @motie2 We must have hung with the same bunch of fellows. The only drinking I ever did was in my early teenage years with the guys in the neighborhood. One of the guys had an older sister who would buy us a a few bottles of Ripple or Boones's Farm. At some point during the evening about half of us were throwing up ... so I eventually came to the conclusion that the aftertaste of vomit the following morning was far worse than the pleasure of first swig from the bottle. We moved on to those small cans of Malt liquor that came out in the 60s' - only to learn that the end result would be the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I didn’t start drinking “adult” beverages until I was about 30.  I did go out to the bar when I turned 18 (legal at the time here in Montana) and had a Long Island Ice Tea, my first legal drink.  I still don’t drink much, maybe up to 5 drinks a month, sometimes no drinks for a month or more.  That includes beer, wine, and hard liquor.  
    I might add, my father let me sip his beer (at home) when I was real young...does that count?  Pretty sure that is a big no-no these days.  He probably would be chastised severely or worse in these times.
  • Options
    @motie2 interesting article. When it's a bit nicer and I can sit outside I like pairing something like Westminster or another English blend with a glass of Port. The sweetness of the port seems to compliment the tobacco well without fighting with it. Aromatics don't seem to pair with Port as well, I think it's just too much sweetness. IMHO