Home General
Options

What are you reading whilst smoking (other than This Pipe Life)

Comments

• Options
    Well, this is going to sound pretentious as all get out, but if you knew me you'd know I don't mean it to be. This weekend I'm boning up on several of Plato's arguments.

My wife works at a retirement community and I am there doing work as well an awful lot so I get to know the folks who live there. One of the residents is a retired 93 yr old philosophy professor who's sharp as a tack. When I met him we discussed the usual "What schools?" business. At any rate, I made the polite comment that we'd have to discuss philosophy sometime and thought that was pretty much the end of it. Well, the other night he caught me and with great enthusiasm told me he'd made a list of writings that we had to sit and talk about. He had me write them down as he suffers from severe Parkinson's. Bottom line is, he's very excited and I have homework to do to resemble a semi-intelligent human when we talk.
  • Options
    I'm working my way through a PDF of the complete Sherlock Holmes stories. Since the NWS  is calling for snow until tomorrow I'll have a chance to disappear into the stories. 
  • Options
    Finishing My Lucky Life in and out of Show Business, a memoire by Dick Van Dyke and loving every sentence of it. 
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    I just started "In Search of Pipe Dreams"
  • Options
    @ron191

You might want to check out the other Holmes pdf's in the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder.🤓
  • Options
    Very interesting book. A lot of facts most have never been exposed to concerning our General of the Continental Army...
  • Options
    Just finished two new books that are the first installments of the series.

King of Ashes by Raymond E, Feist. - I became a fan of his a couple of decades ago when I stumbled onto his Riftwar Saga and have been reading his work since then. King of Ashes is the first book in a new Firemane series set in a completely different world than the Riftwar. The world is ruled by 5 kings and there is a covenant that has kept the peace for centuries. One of the kingdoms are attacked by the other kings and the ruling family is slain. Except one infant is saved and delivered to a baron who was forced to take part in the battle. He sends the infant off to be raised by a guild of assassins, spies and thieves. The first book follows the young boy until he is 17 and learns his heritage.

Now I just have to wait until 2020 for the second book.

The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan - I found this book on the discounted book aisle at Books-A-Million. It is book one of the Draconis Memoria and takes place in a fantasy world "ruled" mostly by a trading syndicate. This is a world with dragons and some people are able to drank diluted dragon (green, red and black dragons) blood and gain temporary power. The basic plot is that their world is changing. The blood from the captured dragons is not as powerful as it used to be and the power of the syndicate is in danger. Then there is a white dragon which everyone think is a myth. An expedition sets out to find it and discover wild dragons not behaving as they used to. Not really a spoiler, but the white dragon is alive and able to control all the other dragons and some wild humanoids, and is determined to restore the dragons as the rulers of the world. 

I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy. 
  • Options
    Just finished To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, one of those classic books I bypassed for many years, better late then never I suppose.
  • Options
    Just finished Once In A Great City by David Maraniss, basically about the rise and fall of Detroit and possibly a rejuvenation. The book is not just about the auto industry, he spends a lot of time on the rise of Motown. Just a great book. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Maraniss a few years back and had him sign They Marched Into Sunlight.
  • Options
    Always enjoyed the Showtime series "Dexter" about a serial killer who just so happened to be a vigilante serial killer working for the police as a blood splatter expert. Well the series ended a few years ago but yesterday my son came over and dropped off a pair of books he picked-up from a second hand shop - and wouldn't you know it ... they were a pair of Dexter books written by Jeff Lindsay ... "Dearly Devoted Dexter" which from what I gather was the basis for one season - and the next book was an all new Dexter tale "Double Dexter". 
  • Options
    I just started reading “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness” by Andrew Peterson. It’s like Narnia meets The Princess Bride.
  • Options
    Tibetan Peach Pie by Tom Robbins
  • Options
    Celtic Empire -- its a Clive Cussler  Dirk Pitt yarn
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    Currently reading, Hemmingway's "To Have and Have Not". Intriguingly different somewhat from movie ( Bogey and Bacall), but a great read. 
  • Options
    The Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ -- Informative book. 

For anyone interested, the entire work is available for free, online
    http://www.ntcg-aylesbury.org.uk/books/knowledge_of_the_holy.pdf
  • Options
    Tnx @motie2 I try to read this work at least once every other year. It helps me keep a better perspective. Since I minored in philosophy, I appreciate his structured thoughts and delivery. I should have known you've "already been there"... 😉
  • Options
    Currently reading L.T.C. Rolt's Sleep No More. It's a collection of ghost stories featuring the common working man in haunted mines and river canals. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Enjoyed this article about Ernest Hemmingway from AlPascia.com

LITERATURE, WINE, PIPES AND A YOUNG ITALIAN WOMAN

Ernest  had just selected the red side of the typewriter ribbon to type “Buy some postcards”. This was for Mary. Typing in blue ink meant sentences to be included in the ongoing novel, whereas red ink was used for private messages to his wife. As usual, he was up at dawn and on with the flannel shirt, waistcoat, corduroy trousers and lastly, his glasses. The latter were always a job to find in the middle of the clutter on his bedside table, which included yesterday’s manuscripts, an ashtray holding his pipe and tobacco and bottles of wine to keep him company during the night, which always seemed too short for him. Ernest would start writing at 5 in the morning and would not leave his room until 11. He wrote and re-wrote his thoughts incessantly. They were simple. Linear. Subject – verb – predicate. Subject – predicate – verb. Full stop and new sentence. This was his revolutionary way of presenting scenes from real life. Inessential words were pared away, to reveal a dynamic, vibrant style. Bold, ironic and packed with double entendres. When his parents had read A Farewell to Arms, they had been deeply ashamed of his style of writing. However, that was how Hemingway saw life, and he expressed this in dense, honed, pungent prose, one page loaded with staccato-style words. 

Being in Italy often reminded him of his war experience there, on which A Farewell to Arms was based. Even if it seemed a long time ago, as did WWII. There had been some friction between him and the Fascist regime when, as a reporter for the Toronto Star, he had gone to the Peace Conference in Lausanne in 1923, and after meeting Mussolini, had stated that he was “the biggest bluff in Europe”. Although it seemed ages ago, the memory of a young Italian woman, who was arrested by the Fascists in Turin in 1943 for translating his book illegally, was still fresh in his mind. The book had been based on his experience in the mountains in the Veneto region, and as he was in Cortina now, he decided to try and get in touch with her.

It was nearing lunchtime, and after looking at his work from afar, as would an artist with his painting, he got up, adjusted his belt, finished off his glass of wine and asked his wife to accompany him into town. It was chilly, being late September. They went into the Posta Hotel for a quick Bloody Mary, and then bought some postcards. The most urgent card was to be sent to Turin, to the brave translator, Fernanda Pivano. The message said: “I’m in Cortina and I want to see you”. Signed “Hemingway”. The young woman thought it seemed too good to be true, almost a joke. Indeed, the she only realized that it was no joke when she received a second post-card, which said:  “If you don’t want to come to Cortina, then I’ll come to Turin; I need to speak with you”. This was in early October, 1948. Getting to Cortina was not all that easy. However, “Nanda”, as she was known by everyone, bought a train ticket and set off one morning from Turin at dawn, and arrived in Venice. She then changed trains, boarding a small train bound for the Dolomites, which clambered up the mountain to the small town. As she sat on the cold seat while the changing countryside flashed by the window, Fernanda thought about her life, her passion for American literature which had been kindled by the mishap with the Nazis and she smiled. If this had served to lead her to Hemingway, then some good had come out of it. She had packed a small bag with a change of clothes, as it was impossible to travel to Cortina from Turin and back again in a day, and in any case she wanted all the time she could get to speak with the writer. This was a rare opportunity. He was staying at the Concordia Hotel, which was open out of season just for him and his friends.  When she finally walked into the hotel dining room it was nine o’clock at night. As soon as he saw her, he got up and went towards her with arms outstretched, hugging her so tightly she thought her bones would crack.  While he was holding her, he whispered in her ear “tell me about the Nazi”. At that moment a strange sort of chemistry bonded them. They never stopped talking or comparing their different experiences.

He recounted to her all the events during the war that had inspired the book that brought them together. Unable to enlist in the army due his bad eye, he signed up as an ambulance driver for the Red Cross, and was sent to Italy. Every day he would ride his bicycle to the trenches distributing chocolate, cigarettes and cards to the soldiers on the front line. Then one day near Fossalta he was hit by fragments from a mortar shell. Although his leg contained numerous pieces of shrapnel, he still managed to carry a wounded soldier back, but while he was walking his leg was again hit by several machine gun bullets, and he had to be hospitalized. He was first sent to a hospital in Treviso, and subsequently to Milan, a few days before his nineteenth birthday on 17th July, 1918. Here his Italian adventure began, as he fell in love with Agnes von Kurowsky, a nurse there, who would become Katherine Barkley in his novel. He believed that war was like hunting and fishing, all situations that required courage, which was the main ingredient in his life. As a child his father, a surgeon, had helped him to bear pain by singing to him, while his mother dressed him in little girl’s clothes, which is why maybe the only way to survive such ordeals was by becoming hyper-macho.  When he was ten, he was given his first gun. Moreover, living near an Indian reservation meant that he grew up close to nature, which is why he was not afraid to challenge it. Similarly, his ambling, manly gait was inspired by the way great Indian chiefs walked. Nanda hung onto “Mr. Papa’s” every word, as he liked to be called. They spent two days outdoors, the way Ernest liked it, and between one anecdote and the next they would drive out in his blue Buick convertible with the roof open, despite the low temperature. He doled out gin, his favourite drink during the day, his pipe always ready to be lit, his wife warmly dressed in the back seat, while Nanda sat in the front next to him, listening to his anecdotes on safaris, hunting, fishing, Africa, Spain and Cuba. 

The trip to Cortina ended. Hemingway often returned to the Veneto region, hunting with the local aristocrats and stopping over in Venice. That first meeting had gone very well with Nanda and he had enjoyed himself. He wanted to see her again and invited her to spend Christmas with them. Nanda was delighted to accept the invitation, although it seemed so unreal. This was only the beginning of their relationship, which would last all Hemingway’s life. And to think that everything had begun with an arrest.

• Options
    I just finished rereading Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett. I've gotten about a third of the way through Most Dick on my tablet. I have to take Melville in installments. The screen is hard on my old eyes.  :)
  • Options
    After watching the Netflix series "Turn", about George Washington's spy ring in New York, I read Ben Talmadge's memoirs (he was head of intelligence) and am now into Joseph Plumb Martin's recounts of his experiences as a private in Washington's Continental army.  Make you appreciate those guys and their sacrifices...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 2019
    https://thebadgerpiper.wordpress.com/
    Working my way through the whole site.....
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @mfresa. Metzer has a book that might interest you. It concerns plots and conspiracies to kill Washinton... Steeped with historical documents, facts, etc. Just sayin'...
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @KA9FFJ , thanks I'll check it out.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    As I have said, I am an avid reader. My absolute favorite book is "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I have read virtually libraries of books. I love H.D. Thoreau, and Emerson, but recently I have been fortunate enough to get my hands on a copy of Christopher Morley's "The Haunted Bookshop", the book after which Cornell & Diehl named their illustrious blend. I am 2 chapters into it after the first sitting and it has me completely captivated.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The Haunted Bookshop is available as a pdf in the Free Pipe Smoking Library folder
  • Options
    Ju.st finished The Fear and the Freedom by Keith Lowe, The book tells about the years after W,W,2,from say 1946 and 1947 and 1948, The world rejoiced after the defeat of Germany and Japan when nations of the world pulled together for a common cause. Then it was like what do we do now?  Many nations wanted to be free of their colonial masters namely England and France, and facilitate their own independence, Easier said then done.By 47-48 hundreds of thousands of people were killed because of the same things that started W.W.2, Politics,Religion,Nationalism,Ethnic differences. Also many countries were unwilling to welcome refugees from countries that were hit hardest by the war and of course that caused much friction, The book is over 800 pages so consequently this is a rather small review of a great book,
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    "Transformative Mixture"
    A fun read from the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder
    attached as .pdf for your downloading convenience