Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Are there any pipe smokers who are familiar with Ratray Pipes?

Are there any positives or negatives that come to mind?  Is this a decent pipe worth purchasing?  Have had so friends recommend trying this pipe brand but could not offer any specifics.  I have heard the name but have never smoked or owned one.  Looking for honest opinions regarding this type of pipe.  I am familiar with Peterson, Wenhall, Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meersham, Rossi, and  Stanwell.  Thanks you in advance for any opinion offered.

Comments

• Options
    Seems that since no one has any experience with this pipe brand, it may be best to avoid this pipe for now until I can find out more information.  I would hate to invest money into something that may turn out to be bad.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Charles --

Once upon a time, Rattray pipes were generally inexpensive and their quality was that of a serviceable factory-made pipe. However, there are more expensive ($200 and up+) Rattray pipes, and they're not all factory-made. In any event, there is no Rattray's factory. Rattray pipes have been made by Butz Choquin http://www.butzchoquin.com and Chacom https://www.pipechacom.com/en/history.htm

• Options
    @motie2 Thanks motie2 much appreciated.  Have you ever owned one and if so, how was it as far as smoking?
  • Options
    I have a Rattray's "Chubby Jackey" with Horn ferrule.  I bought it as an un-smoked Estate from Smokingpipes.com.  It is an excellent smoker.  It takes a 9mm charcoal filter that I forgot it had when I smoked it for the first time.  I generally do not use a filter, but it helped keep the moisture out when I smoked that first bowl.  Fit and finish and briar were all excellent.  I would not hesitate to purchase another.  In fact I was looking at a "MacBeth", a "Butcher Boy", and a "Blower's Daughter", there was another, but I do not remember the series name.  I already have 400 pipes, so I have not "pulled the trigger" on another one as of yet.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Charles -- Retired, I have a lot of time for research, but not a lot of disposable income. I have 4 Carey's, 1 Duncan Hill, and 1 Charatan. I smoke Barbados Plantation, Vanilla Custard, Mrs. Hudson's, and a "best of the rest" mixture, all aromatics. And I'm not in the market for another pipe.
  • Options
    @motie2 How did the "Best Of The Rest" mixture pan out? Pricewise it seems like a geed deal ... but I don't think you can specify a preference for aromatic floor sweepings over Latakia floor blends (or however they describe the extra tobacco making up the blends). I wouldn't mind some conglomeration of aromatic blends ... that might be interesting. But from what I understand is 'you get what you get' no special preference. Am I right? Or can you make a request when ordering?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- No, sorry, I didn't make myself clear: Not the "Best of the Rest" offered by P&C.

I have a jar with a wire and rubber seal closure, and everything goes into it when I'm down to stems and seeds, as it were. So currently, the jar has a mix of Maple Street, Creme Brulee, Molto Dolce, Barbados Plantation, Vanilla Custard, Carey Classic Black Aromatic, and a wee bit of Lane 1-Q. 

Not at all shabby..... Not Mrs. Hudson's, but not at all shabby.
  • Options
    Thanks gentlemen for your opinions.  As always, they are very much appreciated.  @RockyMountainBriar - I will give Ratray Pipes a try.  @motie2 - gave Barbados Plantation a try and am quite impressed with it.  For me, it was to moist out of the can and had to dry it out some so I could smoke it.  Will be something that I will keep in my tobacco rotation.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I can't even put my finger on why I like the Barbados Plantation. It's not sweet like the Vanilla Custard and Molto Dolce. I think it might be the aroma and room note: its old timer pipe smell takes me back to Cleveland Ohio, and cousin's Cigar Store's "Aromatic Mixture," which was the only aro I smoked back in my English/VaPer incarnation (approx. 1964-1984). When I was in Cleveland last winter I stopped by Cousin's to chat, but the were out of what might be the modern day version, so I can't be sure......