Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Kaywoodie stem thread fitting problems.

Kaywoodie's threaded fittings tend to wear with time causing a stem misalignment. On a normal round stem you can heat the aluminum fitting in the stem which should loosen it for a while then screw it together and slowly rotate the stem to where it comes back to alignment. (Note: Rotate it around to the correct position, don't try to go back) Put it aside and let it cool completely. If you have a square or out of round the Teflon plumber's tape wrapping is the go to as the heat method will align the stem but not the metal fitting.Kaywoodie 10
Kaywoodie 90S Bulldog

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I remember my first pipe, a Kaywoodie circa 1964, had metal to metal fittings. The metal stem, which incorporated a non-removable stinger, screwed into a metal insert in the stummel. I never experienced it wearing so as to cause a mis-alignment, and I did smoke it a lot, especially after using a hacksaw to saw off the stinger.  Regrettably, somewhere through the years when I didn't smoke a pipe, I mislaid it, after keeping it for years into my pipe hiatus.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and the well thought out fix.
  • Options
    I came close to buying a Kaywoodie from a local consignment shop but once I noticed the misalignment I opted not to buy it. Later that day I went home and discovered the method you've explained on YouTube and decided to go back and buy the pipe after all. So a week or so later when I returned to the store and to my dismay discovered the vendor who rented the booth with the Kaywoodie moved out. At least now I know the misalignment problem is solvable.