Home General
Options

PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS !!!

As some of you may very well know, Photobucket changed their terms of service.

Photobucket is one of many sites that allowed you to host your photos on their site and then share them with 3rd party sites.

In other words.  All of the photo's I've posted here and elsewhere are linked back to my photobucket account.

This
morning I received a rude awakening and discovered that EVERY picture
I've posted here and on the other pipe forums now have been denied
access to my photo album unless I pay a ransom.

I know, I know,
I'm a Cheap Sum Bitch and there's no such thing as a free lunch.  But
the increase of what they require to have the "3rd Party Sharing" option
is absolutely outrageous.  It's not an extra $20, $50 or even $100 a
year...

It's over $500!

Yup 5 Benjamins if I want to liberate my photo album.

So,
please accept my apologies for all of my pictures being absent from my
previous posts.  I'll spend a little time this weekend and see how many
of them I can retrieve and either find another site or some other way to
post em.

dino

Comments

• Options
    p.s.  It's over $500 per year!
  • Options
    I agree, photobucket does suck! I had to disable my ad blocker software, just to save some of my pics to my external hard drive. Thankfully, the folks at TPL designed their software so that we can post pics directly from our hard drive.
  • Options
    Thanks Dutch.

Sadly, I joined TPL after I had others that required the use of sites like Photosuckit.
  • Options
    You are correct. Photobucket sucks.
    Thankfully, I have all my photos saved on my hard drive so I recently deleted my account.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Image-hosting site Photobucket has decided to commit suicide by suddenly charging users $399/year for the privilege of linking their photos to non-Photobucket pages like Ebay, Amazon or Etsy. Users who don't pay can't even access their photos. Hmmm, this sounds a lot like ransomware...
  • Options
    I have started using imgur.com. I'm still learning it but so far is seems ok and its free.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    And here's what happens when you don't pay up:

Take a look
  • Options

I shouted out about this on the chop job they did on bonanzadriver's great photo display on his Man Cave.

I keep all my photos on my hard drive and backup USB 1TB Portable, I just didn't like the idea of my pictures out of my control and I guess it turned out to be the right thing.

A friend's Son tragically died at 29, he was a prizewinning photographer and stored his photos in the Cloud. His Father tried to get his massive files back, unfortunately the passwords  were on his password protected Laptop. He called the Cloud provider and they told him they needed the password and his account was a monthly one and would be dumped on non payment and payment had to be made through the password. He called Apple about getting the laptop opened and they said to send a Death Certificate and they would unlock it, the process would take 6 weeks. They have maybe 100 of his photos, his 1,000 plus files including microscopic shots including the separate Snowflake collection, His Natural collection. Extensive Formula One/ Racing Portfolio. His Legacy, all gone. 

Back up your work People.

• Options
    @woodsman - A fine example of why I trust little to the "Cloud." And get this, they claim it is safe and secure but the Cloud can and does get hacked.