Home General
Options

Do You Smoke?

The question, "Do you smoke?" Does it bother you to be asked this question? I do realize that my GP and medical insurance companies need a straight answer on this one. However it bothers me particularly when I am asked by a potential employer.

The problem lies in the fact that in 99% of peoples minds, a smoker is a smoker, and the risk factors are all the same. I think a lot of doctors and dentists are guilty of this, because a cigarette smoker is 9 times more likely to die of lung cancer than a pipe smoker.

Then there is the potential employer who want's to know, and in most cases I say no. Why? Because they research statistics that show that smokers are less productive at work and take more time off due to sickness. Since I enjoy a pipe occasionally in moderation, and don't have a need to run to the closest exit door every 45 minutes, I simply don't feel that I fall into their definition of "smoker."

We as pipe smokers have ended up under the gun, because decades of cigarette smokers have ransacked the health care system. It's even gotten to the point, that you can't lease a space, without the question rearing it's ugly head.

I am curious as to how the membership here at TPL feel about being asked this question, and does it bother you that whomever is asking the question, most likely views you as the equivalent of a cigarette smoker.

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I've lied about this, but not often.
  • Options
    I usually say I don't smoke cigarettes but smoke a pipe on occasion. Of course I don't mention the occasion is once or twice a day.
  • Options
    A few years ago,and I forgot the actual year or situation, I think I was inquiring about life insurance and the gentleman on the line asked me if I smoke and I said that I smoked a pipe and he said to me that they do not consider pipes and cigars to be detrimental, which made me happy.
  • Options
    I always qualify I it - "I smoke a pipe,and an occasional cigar." I don't remember it ever coming up in job interviews.
  • Options
    I'm retired and live in my own home so that's not a worry. When Medical types ask I say a pipe rarely. They also ask about drug use and I laugh.
  • Options
    CcdeereCcdeere Newcomer
    I generally assume they are asking about cigarettes (and I've seen several questionnaires where is specifies cigarettes) and say no...beyond that its really none of their business.

• Options
    I imagine the insurance companies have people devoted to checking the background of those who answer "I occasionally smoke a pipe or cigar" - and have them visit sites like this to get a bit more dirt on us. It's hard enough getting additional life insurance when you reach 60 and beyond unless you're willing to pay ridiculous monthly premiums for a policy that not worth the effort. But I did try a few years back, hoping to add a bit more to the paltry sum I'm currently insured for. And when asked about smoking I said I was an occasional pipe smoker. He didn't ask how many bowls or how often ... he simply checked 'YES' in the box, indicating I was a smoker. So many insurance companies are treating pipe and cigar smokers the same as cigarette smokers. Meaning the rates go up even higher.  
  • Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    I tell people I'm a pipe smoker. The last 2 times I was hospitalized, they kept wanting me to wear a patch. I say, "I smoke a pipe, I usually don't inhale, I have gone weeks without it, and I am not in the same category as a 2 pack a day Marlboro smoker!"  I does get annoying.