Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Storing, Managing & Organizing tobacco

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3 Excellent set up for your pipe tobacco!

For me, I keep my jars and tins in my laundry room in the basement. I keep my open tins and jars by the door for easy access to prepare and fill my pipes. Tins I haven't opened and jars that are aging go further back on some shelves so they're left alone to work their magic. I don't have fancy labels for them, though, so I might have to copy your system.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, glad you like the system. Its super easy to do and looks nice, thats why i like it as well. 
  • Options
    @WookieeJake, I really love Wile Hare!  It burns really nice.  After the char light, relight and that will be your last time.  I like everything about this.  Great room note, wonderful flavor, mild and the vanilla is not over powering either, very mellow. Definitely will be buying more. 
  • Options
    ghostsofpompeii -- I use an old freezer (not plugged in of coarse) as a storage cabinet.  It has adjustable shelving, air tight, dark, and a somewhat insulated shell.  It is in my basement and has not been used for food storage in a very long time.  You may want to try something similar if you have a freezer or refrigerator that you are not using or if you can find one that someone is tossing away.  Just a thought. 

You want to keep an eye on temperature, humidity, and light. Ideal storage for pipe tobacco is a cool dark place without a lot of temperature fluctuations. Ideally you want the temperature to be in the range of 60-70 Degrees F.

Humidity is a factor as well, even though the tobacco should be in airtight containers. High humidity can cause corrosion to metals and it could compromise the seal by causing rust to the tobacco tin or the metal lid of mason jars. You do not want to store your tobacco where it is exposed to light for long periods of time.

• Options
    I store my jars in my desk drawer so they are in dark place in the room temp which should be perfect.  So far so good.
  • Options
    Mason Jars and Humidors.   Eventually I am going to clean out the basement and fix a little place down there for my Pipe stuff and Cigar stuff but for now it is all in my spare room and in jars and humidors.
  • Options
    Again, little one cup pyrex bowls with air-tight silicone lids.
    I found them in our grocery store, Stop 'n' Shop.
    Each holds about two ounces of tobacco.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I store m tobacco in mason jars with the labels on the top as I keep them in the box/cardboard they come in.  I love the idea of making the pictures to put on the lids as I am in the process of making a wall hung cabinet to hold some of my tobacco I currently am smoking on and accessories.
  • Options

<quote I use an old freezer (not plugged in of coarse) as a storage cabinet.  It has adjustable shelving, air tight, dark, and a somewhat insulated shell.  It is in my basement and has not been used for food storage in a very long time.  You may want to try something similar if you have a freezer or refrigerator that you are not using or if you can find one that someone is tossing away.  Just a thought. 

You want to keep an eye on temperature, humidity, and light. Ideal storage for pipe tobacco is a cool dark place without a lot of temperature fluctuations. Ideally you want the temperature to be in the range of 60-70 Degrees F.

Humidity is a factor as well, even though the tobacco should be in airtight containers. High humidity can cause corrosion to metals and it could compromise the seal by causing rust to the tobacco tin or the metal lid of mason jars. You do not want to store your tobacco where it is exposed to light for long periods of time. quote>

This is a fantastic idea, and one that most folks who have a substantial cellar should consider. It addresses temperature, moisture, and humidity fluctuations, at a minimal expenditure.
  • Options
    @ghosts of Pompei, Cold temps will retard fermentation and heat will speed it up. I don't think it advisable as extremes in temp tend to adversely affect the quality of organic compounds ie. Wine, etc..
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the input. I guess storing my tobacco in the garage is a bad idea. So I'll stick with the method I'm presenting using. I'll just have to smoke a little more. 
  • Options
    Ghost, I'd recommend you possibly look into those large plastic containers with wheels that are made to roll under your bed.  I saw on another thread where a fella kept all of his tobacco in these.  He picked em up @ walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-66-Quart-Ultra-Storage-Box-Stadium-Blue-Case-of-4/44785815?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227032945832&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=66579541832&wl4=pla-130447841792&wl5=9010054&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_with_promotion&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=44785815&wl13=&veh=sem

• Options
    @Bonanzadriver -- These would be perfect for maximizing space. Of course, ideally I'd prefer to have my baccy jars displayed somehow. Muttnchop Piper had a neat idea using a wooden soda crate, but I've yet to be able to find one. I primarily use those 1/2 pint squatty mason jars for each new tin. Still looking for the best way to display them. 

• Options
    You could also make your own storage in a bookshelf if you have one in your mancave.  Depends on what size jar you are using, adjust the shelving and or make an insert for the shelf space using hard foam core board. It's strong enough to hold jars and it is moveable depending on your needs. I like things that could easily change with my needs and how I buy supplies. 
  • Options
    That could work. 
  • Options
    Oh boy

I had not seen this subject previously. I am the poster boy for tobacco organization and record keeping, so much so I might need to find a "support group". I admit that I am Anal Retentive and OCD when it comes to my Pipe Tobacco and my Cigars. Not only are the tobaccos in the same two sizes of mason Jars, they are all labelled the same with "P-Touch" labels on the exact same locations, facing the same way much like I used to have to do at Morning Muster. My cigars are in 10 "food grade" tupperware type containers all with Boveda Bags for humidification, organized by the Blender / Manufacturer, and in the case of less than a box full, at least organized by wrapper (almost ALL Maduro).

So maybe, or maybe not I need some counselling, or I need to join a support group. My entire family who just throws stuff wherever and they laugh at me.
  • Options
    @pwkarch, I get it. I'm a little like that too. Also, love a good Maduro  ;)
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    I live in Florida it cost to much to run the air below 79F during the day. That being said. I just wonder does it matter where I keep my jars. Right now they are in my man cave next to my pipes.
  • Options
    @DavidR002

Dave, keep the jars in a dark area, absolutely out of direct sunlight. Pipe tobacco likes cool and dark.
  • Options
    pipejonpipejon Newcomer
    This young man developed a clever technique to heat the tins so the labels can be removed and then reapplied to mason jars. Has anyone ever seen this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQkksLHKJsc
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @pipejon

Awesom find. Thank you for showing it to us.
  • Options
    @pwkarch Well I have to admit I do have a spread sheet of tobaccos myself, but not for inventory.(I to am an ex-Navy man)
     2-3 times a year I'll buy 8- to 15 sample ounces or tins to try, (source of my franken blends) A couple years back I realized I had bought some blends a second time and it really ticked me off. (a mild case of CRS)
    So my spread sheet tracks Mfg, Blend name, cost, date I tried it, a 1-10 score for taste, and notes. it is color coded green yellow or red (whether to buy again) and  has a column for how much to order next time, ( so if my wife wants to get me a gift (short cut on desk top))
    My wife had no idea I had this much tobacco till I commandeered that basement cabinet, at which point she told me I was out of my mind; I told her the same thing you said to your wife, think of as an investment.
    My hat is off to you though, as having to create and track inventory is more than I'm willing to do, although if I had the time I'm just might.
    The cigars would be too much though, I have a couple of hundred in stock but I give many away to friends to try and they reciprocate in kind so the inventory is always in flux.
    Cheers brother.

• Options
    If you look at the first comment in this thread, I show you my jar lids. Very easy to do and easy to switch out the labels. Nothing is glued or stuck. Each label looks like the face of the original tin it came from. Check it out way at the top of this thread.
  • Options
    @Londy3  Thanks, I missed that. Fantastic technique, just need to get some card stock for the backing, no glue, no fuss and reusable. your jars look great!.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited October 2019
    @mapletop, thanks glad you like it.  I am making one change to my storage process's however.  Ball now makes darkened or tinted glass jars which will help keep light out. The only drawback is you will not be able to see how much tobacco is in the jar. My current "cellar" is in my office desk drawer so I really don't need it untill I have them out on the shelves I'm building. 
  • Options
    Does anyone have new ideas for keeping track of their cellar stock? I am still using a combination of Excel and Thepipetool.com, but I am always looking for a better way.