Home Ask an Expert
Options

Good vs. Cheap Tobacco

For those of us who have been smoking a pipe for a little while, we know that there is a huge difference between cheap drug store tobaccos and the more expensive blends. What are your suggestions to a newbie when selecting that first tobacco? Should you try something cheap at first, or spend the money on something better?

Comments

• Options
    Cheap does not always equal bad. I have smoked many expensive blends that I thought were downright terrible. On the flip side, I have had some really good smokes from cheap OTC blends. I think blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter and the like are fantastic, inexpensive OTC blends, and stand their ground as just great blends period, OTC or not. Many bulk blends can be bought much cheaper than OTC tobaccos as well. For newbies out there I would suggest buying a a little bit of everything. Get a some burley, an English and an Aro to try out. They can even try blending some of their burley into the aro's to calm them down a bit. 
    I don't know.....Or, maybe just do like 95% of us did and buy an aromatic, cheap pipe, and flame grill our tongues off and learn the hard way! ! Ha
  • Options
    @thewanderingdude I completely agree. I have some Prince Albert that is better than many tins and I've found that there are many bulks that are just as good, if not better than tinned only blends.
  • Options
    If it comes in one pound bags, it's re-labelled RYO and not worth your while.
    It doesn't have to be expensive,but many tinned blends do use better quality leaf, food-grade quality dressings/toppings, etc.
    I have been saying for years: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipe you can afford; it will increase your enjoyment of the hobby. There's a difference between being frugal and being cheap.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @thewanderingdude You learned by flame grilling your tongue off too?!?!? I agree with you about trying out some of each Aro, English, Burley, and Virginia.  I also have to agree with @judandhispipe to smoke the best you can afford as I would probably not have continued in the world of pipe smoking if I would have started with some of the cheap stuff my friends keeps finding.  I didn't start with the most expensive stuff but have found over time that I recommend that people go buy a variety of bulk blends to try out and find what they like.  If they are local to me I just load them up with small samples from my stash and then surprise them when I tell them how cheap or easy it is to get some of them and I normally load them up for their first half pound.  I would recommend if making a bulk sampler to try to pick stuff that also comes in tins as it seems to be a higher quality tobacco to begin with.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    My two favorites are Captain Black original and Carter Hall,I have several samples of Sutliff and H&H,but my bulk
    is those first two.I just wish I could afford to cellar about 50 lbs of each and I would be set for life (plus).
  • Options
    @lostmason I never tried Carter Hall...no real reason I haven't. How is it though?
  • Options
    A lot of the etailers will help you out with bulk samplers. Can be a great way to try new blends.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    PipeProfessor, For me it has a fullness, a nutty bread like flavor that is pleasent. I have found
    that if I char the top and then let it set for a few hours the flavor is more pronounced,much better
    and smoother.Chatham Manor the match blend by H&H is very good as well,but it seems to have
    an underlying sweetness that I don't taste in Carter Hall.
  • Options
    Thanks @lostmason I may give it a try!
  • Options
    ASA13SPYASA13SPY Newcomer
    For me, I have been smoking a pipe off and on since 1962 as a kid, after the military I could afford to go to a tobacconist and have a special blend made up to my taste. I prefer a sweeter taste and Burly bites my tongue. if I run out I can smoke captain black.
  • Options
    Started with Captain Black and Borkum Riff because I could buy that aboard ship when underway. Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Half & Half are also good OTCs that are still readily available. At one time Middleton's Cherry and Mixture 79 was easy to find but I didn't like the soapy aftertaste that one of them left.
  • Options
    crapgamecrapgame Newcomer
    I smoke both and both have their place..cheap tobacco at work for hurried pipe and for longer times to smoke a better tobacco
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @crapgame Agreed as well.  That's how I do cigars too, cheap one for a hurried, could care less if I finish it or destroy it and better ones for relaxing.
  • Options
    Carter Hall, I still go back to it from time to time.
  • Options
    If ever I am recommending tobacco to someone interested in the pipe, I have them start with the nose. What smells good to them? Doesn't matter if it's cheap or not, I have them smell my variety and try what they think they'll enjoy. They always seem to enjoy that more. If they live in another state I'd say go into a tobacconist if you have one close by and smell away. Your nose and flavor pallet go hand in hand. The price point doesn't always make much of a difference on how much you'll enjoy a smoke but your nose will lead you in the right direction.
  • Options

Some bulks are less expensive only comparable to the price of multiple tins, Many tinned are also available in bulk. McClelland's 5110 is IMHO an improvement over Frog Morton. Most E retailors will sell you an ounce and most pipe club members will fill your bowl with their blends as well as some tobacco that has been brought to the meeting for sampling by all. Pipe shows are another place with many blenders offering samples.

• Options
    I don't find it so much anymore, but near my old home was a discount cigarette/liquor store that sold "SuperValue black and gold" in 12 oz bags -really good for the money.  Now I pay quite a bit more and buy from a cigar store.  Haven't tried "drug store" brands in many years - bought a pouch of something, very dry, burned hot, acrid taste, never tried another.  Might have to check out a few of the suggestions though
  • Options
    If you are reading this then you are far luckier than I was when I first started smoking. There were no forums to turn to with experience pipe smokers who could steer you in the right direction. And that direction is usually to mail order tobacco sites where you can get both cheap and good tobacco. And even the OTC blends readily available from local grocery and stores are far cheaper on line when purchased in bulk ... for instance Captain Black. Captain Black usually retails for around $10.00 for a 1.5 oz pouch depending upon where you live. But if purchased in bulk it can be as cheap as $2.70 an ounce when you purchase 8 ounces. And many new pipe smokers turn to Captain Black because it's a popular blend in stock at most places selling OTC tobacco. But since it's actually more expensive in one of those drug or grocery stores you can spend less getting a quality tinned tobacco at places like Pipes & Cigars or Smokingpipes.com. So the very fact that you're here at The Pipeline reading this message means you don't have to make a choice between cheap vs quality.    
  • Options
    @drac2485 a little off topic here, but you look just like my cousin Steven (in the small picture on here) i took a double take immediately