Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Can someone suggest an "Earthy" blend please?

When I smoked cigars there was a particular blend that I described as "earthy".  It smelled like rich potting soil, with notes of coffee and cocoa in it (not leather).  Oliva made some maduros that were like this for a while, but then changed his blend to something less potent.
Is there a pipe tobacco that can be described in a similar manner?

Comments

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I am no expert but I do have good taste.  One to try would be HH Dark Kentucky flake. Its pretty strong but i like the taste and the tin note.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Here is a picture of the tin, i thought it would help identify it. 
    HH Bold Kentucky
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks for the suggestion, guys.  I'll investigate.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/mcclelland-cigar-blends-brand/1701962/

McClelland Cigar Blends Dominican Glory Maduro -- unlike any other tobacco you've tried. Matured, tangy red flue-cured leaf is combined with lemon virginia that has been stoved black. To this combination, McClelland adds Dominican maduro cigar leaf, and then the mixture is pressed into cakes for further maturation and the marrying of the flavors.  The flakes allow for a variety of preparations, and the rich taste and creaminess is sublime.

McClelland Cigar Blends Dominican Glory -- a whole new experience in pipe smoking. The leathery, woodsy character of aged Dominican cigar leaf is expertly combined with matured Virginias to add sweetness and zest. The resulting blend is totally unique and a wonderful chamge of pace for pipe and cigar fanciers alike.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @mfresa -- The following blends are often described as tasting,  "....like a cigar." 

GL Pease - Robusto
    Cornell & Deihl - Billy Budd
    Cornell & Deihl - Habana Daydream
    Cornell & Deihl - Purple Cow
    McClelland - Dominican Glory & Dominican Glory Maduro (both mentioned above)
    James Fox - The Bankers
    Gawith & Hoggarth - Dark Flake Unscented
    Peretti - Cuban Mixture

While not "cigar tasting," Dunhill's Nightcap is a spicy blend.
  • Options

mfresa, you might want to give Cornell and Diehl's Billy Budd a try. It is a Latakia blend with rough cut Burley, bright Virginias, with rough cut maduro cigar leaf, which makes for some great earthy flavors. This is a voluminous blend, so a wide deep bowled pipe works best.

If you enjoy it, you will be pleased to find that it is available in bulk quantities, and it isn't on the FDA's list, since it was created before 2007.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @mfresa -- Peterson's University Flake review: <<"The charring light reveals a taste similar to how it smells. I am surprised, but again the taste is not unpleasant. However, with a subsequent re-light, this disappears. What replaces it is a tobacco-y taste with undertones of earthiness. But that's not bad! I like the earthy flavor, and it quickly grows on me. I am reminded of stalking through the woods, smelling the fall leaves composting on the forest floor, and wondering how these leaves would taste in a pipe. I also like the taste of tobacco, so having a natural blend is a plus as well." >>

And then there is Synjeco's My Own Blend "Oxenfisl Twist" 
    <<It truly tastes like you are smoking the soil.>>
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, @xDutchx, you guys are awesome!  Thanks so much for "digging" into this, (no pun intended). I can see the wallet is going to take a hit before this is all over :-).
  • Options
    @mfresa, If you end up liking Billy Budd enough to buy in bulk, it is one of the most economical tobaccos you can smoke. Smokingpipes has it for $35.03 per pound, which is about half the price of most Latakia blends. Another reason I like it, is because it is unlike any other Latakia blend I have sampled.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @xDutchx, I'll definitely try some.