Home General
Options

What are you reading now.

Right now I'm reading "Dune, House Atreides" by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It is a requel to "Dune" that's not bad. What are you reading now?

Comments

• Options
    I am reading the latest issue of "Pipes and Tobacco's" magazine I just received in the mail. Lot's of good reading, including interviews with Les Wood of Ferndown, and David Huber of DHS Pipes. Also, there is an article on the E.A. Carey Magic Inch pipes, that I found very interesting.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant by Ronald C. White
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Reading Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution, finding it an interesting aspect of the historical period surrounding WW1 and the changes in Europe. Just picked up my 2017 Tour De France guide, having followed the race for many years.
    x Dutch x, thanks for the reminder regarding the Pipes magazine, have noticed it before where I buy magazines, guess a subscription is in order.
  • Options
    @dbh1950, I would highly recommend a subscription to anyone invested in the hobby. The staff and writers have covered a variety of interesting topics from current pipe carvers, past pipe carvers, unique tobacconists, tobacco blenders, as well as major production facilities in pipe and tobacco manufacture. There is so much to learn about the hobby, and P&T magazine makes it even more rewarding. Also, it is unheard of, to be able to purchase a magazine with such high quality photography, in the $4 to $7 price range. The fact that it is published quarterly, makes it extremely affordable as well.
  • Options
    I'm finally getting around to reading The Haunted Bookshop by Morley.  It's in the public domain, or you can get a cheap paperback version on Amazon, etc..

The book is full of discussion about pipes and is a good story also.

Here's the wiki on it.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I am 600 some pages into Alan Moore's monumental 1,200 page novel, JERUSALEM. 

Regarding The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley, you can read it for free, and in every format, at:

• Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    The Survivalist Series by Arthur Bradley. On Book 2 - Anarchy Rising
  • Options

We did a little antiquing today and instead of finding a new estate pipe I did come across another treasure of sorts. A book. Now you have to be at least 50 years old or better to be familiar with this author or the character he portrayed on TV . The author of the book is Cliff Arquette ... better known to the public as Charlie Weaver. Charlie Weaver was a constant fixture on TV during the 50s' and 60s' appearing on TV talk shows and game shows. His down home humor was a combination of Mark Twain mixed in with a handful of oddball characters you might find residing on Andy Griffith's Mayberry. He was a regular on the Jack Parr Show which is probably why Jack Parr wrote the introduction to the book. One of the highlights of a conversation with his character Charlie Weaver was when he'd read a letter from his Mamma living in Mount Idy. The stories would be populated with oddball characters with names like Birdie Rodd, Grandpa Ogg, Elsie Krack, Doctor Beemish, and Ludlow Bean the town's two-headed mayor. Corny homespun humor that had the audience rolling in their seats. Simpler times and cleaner humor ... something that probably wouldn't go over well with today's public.

I found this skinny little 61 page book (with drawings) sitting on the shelf and it immediately brought a smile to my face. The title "Charley Weaver's Letters From Mamma", and it's a collection of the many letters he read on the air over the years as well as some new one written specifically for the book. A very easy read that probably took about an hour at best ... and some of the corniest tales you might imagine. But I found myself smiling the entire time I was reading it. And keeping a smile on your face for a hour in this day and age is quite an accomplishment. Best $2.00 I ever spent. 

Here is an example of one of the letters:

Dear Hula Hoop:(Mamma always said I had a way of getting around people) Things are fine in Mount Idy (she goes on - and on - and on). Well, its election time here and everybody is running for some kind of office. Byron Ogg ran for mayor last year, and when he quit running he was in Mexico. Ludlow Bean is the most promising candidate. He'll promise you anything. He's also the most honest man in the race. He's the most honest that for the past seven years he's run the public baths at Snider's Swamp, and he's never taken one - at least not in public. Your father and I are going to vote for Ludlow Bean for mayor. Your father says two heads are better than one. Not ours - Ludlow's. He has several advantages over the other candidates. He can kiss twice as many babies, smokes twice as many cigars, and can talk out of both sides of both mouths at the same time. Of course if he becomes mayor he'll have to give up his job at the Bide-a-Wee Book Store, where he is now employed as book ends. He's the only man in Mount Idy who can check his own cavities. Grandma Off threw a big party last night. She was on her home from a meeting of the girls of 'Let's Give Alf Landon Another Whirl At It Club', when this big party stuck a gun in her back. As I said before, last night Grandma threw a big party. They say he may live. Well son, I must close now and go help your father. He found an old Civil War cannon ball and he took it and a hammer out in the back yard to see if it was still any good - it was. I'm going to tell him a thing or two when he comes down.   Love, Mamma     

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I remember him well, he had a place out near Gettysburg, PA if I remember.
  • Options
    @Woodsman I imagine more people remember him from his appearances on The Hollywood Squares than the Jack Parr Show. I liked him. Like I said his humor is more of the cringe worthy corny homespun humor - but funny none the less.
  • Options
    Johnny Winters did a character called "Aunt Maudie" if I remember that was in the vein.
  • Options
    Alan Dean Foster's "The Drowning World".
  • Options
    Jack Hinson's One Man War, A Civil War Sniper 
    by Tom C. Mckenney 

About a neutral man in TN during the civil war until his sons were wrongfully executed by the union army, he then became a lone sniper for the Confederacy.