Home General
Options

P&C Woes Continue....?

SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
P&C was my go-to online tobacconist.  I was a regular customer up until a few months back when they went through a 'system upgrade(?)'.  Since that time, I haven't gone back simply because they just don't have the tobacco I want to purchase in stock.  It is either 'out of stock' or 'back-ordered'.  Always.  I've made my last two tobacco purchases from Smokingpipes.com.  They do not seem to be experiencing issues with keeping tobacco in stock so it can't be the vendors causing supply issues. I really, really want to continue with P&C but until they fix their inventory issue(s), I shop elsewhere.

Can anyone shed any light on what's really going on with P&C?  I'm hoping for the best for them.

Comments

• Options

The only thing I noticed is they don't seem to fill back orders, but they don't charge for anything back ordered so, no bad.

They may be clearing stock of stuff due to be banned.

• Options
    I was affected by their system issues in February. While I was wary of them after that, I decided to give them another chance about two weeks ago. I didn't order anything backordered, and got my order a few days later without any issues. I'd say, as long as you order things in stock, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Yes, If you order something in stock you will receive it in 3-5 business days.
  • Options
    There's the problem right there.  What I want is either 'out of stock' or 'back-ordered'.  LOTS of it.  Ok, well... thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Yeah, so much of their listed items are out of stock (and has been since at least February when there issues began) you have to assume something's up.  I've got that $50 coupon lying in wait to be used and tried to last week to buy a new pipe.  The stock is so thin I ended up holding off and buying one from smokingpipes (which seems to be doing just fine with their stock as you pointed out).
  • Options
    I hate to even suggest this folks - but if something isn't done to sidetrack the FDA Deeming Regluations this may well be a portent of the future and not just a hiccup at Pipes & Cigars. Due to the overhead associated with operating a brick & mortar shops they will probably be the first to go under. Then slowly our supply will dwindle as the large mail order outlets begin paring down.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, that is my fear as well. If P&C is adjusting to what may be coming down the line, then I'm curious why they are still listing those blends.  Why not just remove them altogether?  Smokingpipes is very clearly not taking those same steps. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Gibbs' Rule #36: If it feels like you're being played, you probably are.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    Placed an order on the 21st got it today, everything I ordered too!
  • Options
    When they run clearance on something it's not going to be re- ordered.
  • Options
    Gentlemen

I have what I consider to be good news. Yesterday morning the UPS truck dropped off my latest purchase from P&C's. I placed the order Saturday around noon. If Tuesday had not been July 4 and a holiday, I would have had it then as I tracked it and it was in the area distribution center late Monday night. I admit that I am only about 130 miles or so away, them in eastern Pa. and me at the Jersey shore. However this satisfies me greatly, and is the second time in a row that they have done so. My experience has been as long as what I order is in stock, I get great service. If something is out of stock, back ordered, forget it. About 3 orders ago I filled out the "notify me" request for a blend that I wanted to no avail. I kept checking my self online and finally one day there it was. I ordered what I wanted, got it within several days, then got an email from my "notify me" request that they were STILL out of my request about 3 or 4 days AFTER I received my order?.

So they apparently still have a ways to go with their new computer system, at least as of a month or so ago, but I have to say I am satisfied with their service on "in stock" products at this time. I bought a lot of product from them over this past winter and when they were in a computer system spin backed off and bought from alternate sources for a while for obvious reasons. I am now back to buying from them.

I just wanted all to know I now have 2 in a row successful  purchase experiences with no hiccups. I hope everyone else from here on out has the same to report. I will continue to buy from my "other two" major suppliers, but I am once again up to three sources to satisfy my TAD, and to a lesser degree my PAD.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I have yet to have a bad experience with P&C, even throughout the sturm und drang.
  • Options
    @pwkarch Your update may be the one that gives me the confidence to do business with P&C again.  I've been sitting on that $50 coupon issued after "The Great P&C IPSD Debacle of 2017" waiting to read about enough positive experiences that I could redeem it.  I've put together a list of in-stock items on my account wish list so when I do pull the trigger it will be quick and hopefully painless.  When I do, I'll be sure to update everyone as to how my experience went.
  • Options
    I also am encouraged by @pwkarch 's news.  My intent on my original post was not to disparage P&C at all.  P&C holds a special place in my 'piper' heart simply because they were very instrumental in educating me about smoking a pipe and the many different tobacco types and blends.  I've spoken with Russ a few times and he has always been very generous with his knowledge and information. 
  • Options
    Good to hear jim and SERENTIL

I was a critic of them for awhile myself while they were screwed up temporarily. I have no idea how they could have gotten themselves in that position in one fell swoop. I am very happy that they are doing better now.

Over the years I have purchased literally several thousand dollars worth of cigars through Cigar.com with never a negative issue. As we all know, they are "associated" with them along with Cigars International.

I am pleased that they are apparently getting their act back together. I will order tobacco from them, but they will not be my sole provider. They have the most inclusive list of products at very competitive prices which cannot be overlooked. I will however avoid dealing with their "Customer Service" as that is a apparently still a nightmare from what I have experienced..
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @jim102864 You may want to check the use by date on that $50 coupon I think it had to be used by July??? I used mine last month and had no issues with what I ordered, it was all in stock of course. Received it within 5 days. So far so good it seems with P&C in stock items I will order from them again if I need to but I will of course make sure it is in stock first.
  • Options
    Yeah, the P&C coupon expires on July 31st.  
  • Options
    The only current gripe I have with them is their boxes.  They seem really flimsy on the bottom with the gluing and I'd hate to see what happens if too much weight got in there.

I'm waiting on my Dunhill special deal to arrive next week, but so far everything has shipped quick and correctly.  They are batting higher than Amazon right now (well UPS) who managed to break an entire box of jars and still deliver them rattling away inside. <sigh>
  • Options
    I used the coupon today.  The status indicates "shipped" on my order and UPS tracking is up and running.  So far, so good.
  • Options
    I too have had a few disappointments with P&C, but nothing catastrophic.  When they had their whole "Hal 2000" melt down I did end up cancelling an order, placed it with another Click&Morter and received my goodies... Albeit at about 10% higher purchase price.

After the Hal debacle my only frustrations were when they would run a "Big Sale" on stuff that was outta stock?????

Anyway, got an email from em last week, the 1lb of Dunhill and 3 tins for $56 ! 

So, I cautiously started filling up my shopping cart ( had to get over $99 doncha know, and avoid the shipping charges) 

After it was full I double checked and then re-checked to make sure everything was IN STOCK!!! 

Pulled the trigger....  

And....

Bingo, Bango, Bongo...

My order arrived Tuesday without any problems.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Just an update, or more of a tip of the hat to Pipes & Cigars. Some have registered some dissatisfaction with their recent experience with P&C, as I have commented, fir several years since discovering them, I have had nothing but superior service. Yes, at times, they are not able to supply certain pipes or tobacco being sought, but as others have stated, some of this may be related to their suppliers. An example, my wanting to sample Lane's BS005, out of six suppliers, only one had any in stock, then they could only supply a few ounces. I received my samples, now I have ordered a good supply for my own little stock.
    Back to P&C, I too recently received a code worth $50.00 cash to be spent with them. I did, purchasing a Peterson pipe I had my eye on. Although I do not recall any particular issue with my order during the time frame specified, I very much appreciate their effort to ensure the customers are recognized and are satisfied with P&Cs service. They will always have my business.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I don't know, it seems things have gotten mixed up again. I ordered the European Vacation Sampler from the P&C website should be 3 pouches John Bull, C'est La Vie & Erin Go Bragh Pipe Tobacco. I received the package on my door step when I got home today, opened it and inside is a single pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic? I don't think Sir Walter Raleigh is part of the European Vacation Sampler? I called & got to sit on hold for longer than I care to say to be given an apology, and told Erin Go Bragh is currently out of stock? Well then I don't think the European Vacation Sampler should be shown as in stock. So I will be getting the American/European Vacation Sampler I get to keep the Sir Walter Raleigh and they will ship a pouch of John Bull & C'est La Vie to me. If I want the Erin Go Bragh I will have to order it when it is back in stock?  :(  Ugh!
  • Options
    The best thing I can tell you is to call them up and explain the problem you have with the order.P&C customer service has really made an effort in helping resolve problems.I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    A week or so ago when P&C was having a sale on their Nording pipe my wife ordered them, and within a matter of days they were in my mailbox. So what-ever issues they had in the past seems to be rectified. Although I have noticed a considerable amount of tobacco products either back ordered or out of stock. Rule of thumb: if it's out of stock it's never going to be back in stock ... and if it's backordered I'd wait to make an order until it's back in stock so you don't have to wait for it and get angry.
  • Options
    I think you can request to be informed when something is back in stock. I did have them inform me once but, even then they were once more out of stock as I waited a day to order again. There are some tobaccos that are always in demand and rarely available, ie. Penzance: my advice if you hear of some available order 1 for yourself and immediately contact Pappy Joe and myself about it so we can head off a stampede.