Home General
Options

Flying Ash

Ok, here is a silly question. Sometimes when I am smoking my pipe before it's well lit, but has some ash, I go to relight. I lightly tamp, then flick my Bic...poof, ash comes flying out. Guess I'm too close to the bowl? But I'm tying to keep the flame down from the light breeze outside. I don't know, but it's happened more than I care. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    I've heard several debates as to whether you should dump your ash as you smoke or leave it in the pipe till the end of the smoke. I actually do both depending upon the conditions I'm smoking in. If it's windy I'll tamp my pipe then turn it upside down and let some of that powdery ash fall out. If I'm in my garage I might simply let the entire bowl burn away. And it also has a lot to do with relights. I've finally gotten to the point when I barely ever have to relight a bowl other than the initial char light. But if for some reason I do have to relight I'll normally dump that top layer first because I'm not too fond on the flavor of burnt ash.  
  • Options

I tamp when the tobacco is hot and try to do the whole surface. I always fill the bowl to at leave at least 3/8" below the rim, that seems to minimize the problem. when I used to fill to the top, I'd light it and slide the match box/ book over the fresh lit tobacco to press it down, that worked but the rim would get carbon build up rapidly.

• Options
    @Woodsman Thanks for the advice Frank, never considered the carbon build-up issue on the rim when filling a pipe to the top. I'll keep that in mind from now on. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Im sorry, i dont understand why the carbon build up would make the ash fly.....can you explain?
  • Options
    I don't think the carbon build-up on the rim would make the ash fly. I think some people feel the blackening of the rim or carbon build-up on the rim detracts from the appearance of their pipes. It's a matter of aesthetics. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Now that i agree with.  Anyhow, for now, i have just been dumping out the white ash before relight so the flick of the lighter will not blow the ash all over me.  It seems to be working much better. Tap, tamp and relight.