Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Aromatics for a Non-Aromatic Smoker?

Occasionally I get bored with the Virginia, VA/Per, Latakia line up I've got and I wonder what I'm missing on the aromatic side of things. Then I'll randomly try one I've not had before and remember why I don't smoke them. I've tried things like Molto Dolce and found it sickeningly sweet. I've tried cherry-flavored tobacco (I have a friend that almost exclusively smokes cherry blends) and didn't like the artificial-ness of the flavoring.

Are there aromatic blends for people like me that appreciate subtlety in flavors and don't need syrupy sweet tobacco? I like the idea of whisky/rum/vanilla/whatever flavored blends but have never found one I could enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Captain Sir,

Motto Dolce??? Of all the ones to choose, I tried it once now I have diabetes. It's so sweet you can hear it sizzling away when it burns as it converts to caramel instead of ash. 

Your question is very interesting since I would think people would usually ask it the other way around. Smoking aromatics and wanting to enjoy English blends. The more non-aromatics you smoke the more flavors you get out of different blends and the more bland aromatics taste. Of course the more I like something the more the room stinks up and people get mad. Why does it have to be like that? Some aromatics sure do have a nice room note.

I've noticed that more subtle blends have more flavor to me now. For example I just tried Cornell & Diehl's Blockade Runner. To me it has a very nice rum flavor but it's not like an aromatic rum blend, like Buttered Rum. I used to always smoke Buttered Rum but now it seems too flat. The Blockade Runner has the rum flavor but the nice tobacco flavor of non-aromatics too. When you smoke both kinds then the differences are dramatic. I did get some RLP-6 (is that right?) and it was a nice mellow smoke. 

I'll bet you would like non-aromatic blends that have just a touch of additives instead of going all the way over. I say that but I would smoke a Dunhill blend then go right to a bowl of Buttered Rum again just for the heck of it, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Although I'd never go from Royal Yacht to Motto Dolce! My head would explode.

P.S. Do you like Orlik Golden Sliced? That can have a very nice fruity flavor, but it's not an aromatic. 
  • Options
    Have you tried Frog Morton's Cellar? A whiskey hint helps this Latakia blend. 
  • Options
    Philip - you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Aromatics taste... I don't know that I would use bland, but one-dimensional and artificial to me. I almost always smoke VA/Pers with some Scottish/English blends thrown in and some pure Viriginias as well. But I occasionally I get bored and occasionally we have people over and I think the aromatics work better in mixed groups because the room note is more agreeable. So I keep trying aromatics to see if there's one I can use to change things up now and again. Plus it seems like there's a whole world of pipe smokers out there that only smoke aromatics, so I guess mostly, I was making sure I wasn't missing something.

I love OGS and I guess that's the type of subtlety I was hoping to find in an aromatic - or the way FVF reminds me of dried fruit.

I'll add Blockade Runner to my "to buy" list. Rum and Virginias sound good.

Motie2 - I've tried Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Bayou... I hadn't seen Cellar nor even read a description of it. I did not realize there was a flavored version of FM out there... Whiskey is even better than rum, so that just got added to the list as well.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    GLP The Virginia Cream has a fairly mild vanilla topping with a hint of bourbon and does not overwhelm the Virginia tobacco. Very well balanced and not too sweet IMO and I haven't noticed any ghosting in subsequent smokes.
  • Options
    An Aro smoker: My favs: Lane 1Q, Ole Shenandoah 76, CAO Eileen's Dream & now...Frog Morton Cellar.
  • Options
    @Captain  I've found that I like Mac Baren tobaccos for a subtle aromatic taste. Navy Flake, Scottish Mixture, or Symphony might be good starting places. I have not tried all of their blends but read from many smokers that each blend, even the distinct aromatics, are light on the flavorings.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Captain Sir,

The FM Cellar recommendation is excellent. Also, Mr. Jdalen brings up a good point which I adhere to. I don't mix aromatic and non-aromatic pipes. Not that I'm really worried about them ghosting, which I am to an extent, but since you're looking for a real subtle flavor, a pipe that has been used for strong blends might ruin that. I hope that's not just in my head, but a possibility. 

Try the Frog! 
  • Options

!Q make a change of pace for me, I use a small bowled straight pipe for it and the odd Aro.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    1Q isn't the best selling for no reason. 
  • Options
    I am also a non-aro smoker who enjoys one from time-to-time. This started after I got a tin of W.O. Larsen 150 in the goody bag at the cigar dinner at the Chicago Pipe Show in 2015. It was pretty darned good. I'd recommend Larsen to anyone in a similar position.
    My current aro - the only one - is Covered Bridges from 4 Noggins. I got a sample of that when I bought a pipe from them.
    Best selling doesn't mean best - it means widely available and a good value. MacDonald's sells billions, but they aren't the best burgers. Skip the drugstore stuff and the big sellers and explore some of the smaller old-line houses.
  • Options
    @Captain Uhles Irish Aromatic sounds like it would do you well. Tasty and very light on the aro
  • Options
    Country Squire's Parsons Blend. Especially if you let it dry for 30 minutes....
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm compiling a list.

Love several of Country Squire's blends, so I'll check that out for sure.
  • Options
    Russ' blends has two that I like (and I RARELY go for an aromatic) they are candy corn and cavendish in the woods.  I had to cut the cav in the woods with a bit of picauyne from daughters and ryan because it was far too mild in nicotine for my tastes but both blends are a nice change of pace.  I dip into them once or twice a month.
  • Options
    @captain - give the Country Squire a call and talk to Jon David, he will steer you in the right direction. Ask him about Lighthouse Keeper.
  • Options
    @Captain I probably have about 50 different aromatic blends in my cellar now, but the one I enjoy the most is Russ' Monthly Blend "Warm Up" from PipesAndCigars.com. Unfortunately it's a blend that's about to be discontinued so I bought up quite a bit hoping it would last me the rest of my lifetime. Unless I live as long as my Dad ... he's 93 and still going strong. So I'm not sure how that will pan out for me ... but in combination with all the other blends I have stocked up it should do me. You might consider giving it a try.
  • Options
    @Captain, I second PappyJoe's recommendation.  Country Squire has some interesting aromatics, Rivendale and Old Toby being two of my favorite.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of Country Squire - I almost always have some Bag End hidden away. I've fired off an email to JD to ask him about his aromatic offerings.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Options
    Yeah! But now you have to wait for Jon David to actually read his email.
  • Options
    Well... there is that. We've had an email chain going since October. I sent the first email in October, he replied in November, etc., etc. But that's why we love him?
  • Options
    More love here for the Country Squire. Great tobacco, hand written notes in your order, friendly staff. Class act down there in Jackson.
  • Options
    Don't know if it counts as a true ARO, but there's Erinmore. A very decent tobacco flavor. I prefer the mixture to the flake.
  • Options
    @Captain, I'm strictly a VA guy, but I enjoy C&D Autumn Evening as a change of pace, give it a try.
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    I hope it's ok to bump an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with the same topic.

I want to like aromatics, if for no other reason than to have something different from time to time. But I've had mixed success. I spend most of my time with VaPers, straight Virginias, English blends and the occasional Burley blend. And I love dark fired Kentucky in about anything. 

I hate syrupy tobaccos. I tried 1Q once, and emptied the bowl after 5 puffs. I have had others that I could make it through a small bowl, but that's about it.

Stuff with a top note I have enjoyed:

GLP Sixpence is awesome, Frog Morton Cellar, 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher

So I'm looking for something with maybe a very mild vanilla or honey flavor that isn't syrupy. John David Cole mentioned Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew on his podcast, and I thought about giving that one a shot. Maybe someone can wade through all this information and point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• Options
    @Woobie -- Most of the aro smokers here recommend Sutliff Vanilla Custard.

I personally would recommend Sutliff Barbados Plantation (rum).
  • Options
    Dunhill Royal Yacht........
  • Options
    I love FM Cellar (probably my all time fav) and Bald Headed Teacher is good too. But, neither are what most would call an aromatic. They’re more like an English with some Cavendish to make them more universally appealing. Cellar has been cured in whiskey barrels which lightly flavors it but it’s still closer to an English. At best I’d call these two blends hybrids... amphibians if you will. No matter what you call them... they’re delicious (especially FMC). 

Also, another vote for Country Squire blends. Old Toby (an aro with some Latakia to make it interesting) and Bag End (very mild Scottish blend with some cavendish) are both excellent. OT is straight up aromatic. 
  • Options
    !-Q is an aro that allows the tobacco to come through and lately I've been enjoying Holger Dansk Mild Orange.
  • Options
    Just a follow up - I’ve tried many of the suggestions here, including several Frog Mortons and quite a few from Country Squire (Second Breakfast is my favorite aromatic right now). 

In general I definitely prefer hybrids or a “normal” blend of some sort with a very light casing or topping. 
  • Options
    What im reading is that you’re all aro smokers that don’t want to identify as one haha. I enjoy an aro on Occasion as well, i second the country squire recommendation (or 7th as about now) i love second breakfast, and Rivendell