Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Loot! - What's your latest tobacco purchase?

Comments

• Options
    Smokingpipes.com is taking 20% off G. L. Pease tobacco, I have 4 8oz tins on the way. 1 Abingdon, 2 Kensington and 1 Westminster! 
  • Options
    Some Loot has arrived!  I may have to load another pipe for a round this evening🙂. It’s going to take a bit more dry time than the last coins.
  • Options
    Just a quick glimpse of the "loot" I acquired at the Vegas pipe show... I'll go into more individual detail a little later...

• Options
    I received a “Trick or Treat” box from a fellow TPL brother Friday.  It was mostly treats, but there was an evil presence of a couple of Latakia blends lurking in the box.  I was lucky to sus out the two evil menaces quickly and septuple bagged them so they did not corrupt the other heavenly blends that occupied the box🙂
    So, samples are meant to be sampled, and I am going to smoke the two Lat blends, albeit with some reservation and most definitely in a small cob.  My guess is, someone else may be “gifted” the Lat blends (If  you can call it a gift😬) in near future.  Spread the evil….I mean love…right🙂
    Many thanks to the generous TPL Brother of the Briar.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    It's called "Pass it On". 

• Options
    Received a pair of four dollar coupons from Captain Black so I went out and finally located a smoke shop that carried Captain Black tobacco products. Was lucky enough to find a shop that had the latest Captain Black tobacco ""Platinum", so I picked up two pouches. 
    Smoked a bowl last night and it's not one of their sweet aromatic blends. There is little if any of that familiar vanilla flavor associated with Captain Black. It's similar to the discontinued blend Captain Black Round. I'd recommend it for those who prefer their tobacco to taste like Virginia and Burly without the sweet toppings. 
    This new blend has more in common with their discontinued premium tinned product "Black Sea" (which was their only Latikia tobacco) then anything associated with the Captain Black product line. Still all and all, a fine smoke. I'm partial to the sweet flavored aromatics - but this was a nice smoke - no tongue bite - and a pleasant room note.     
  • Options
    Cult Blood Red Moon.

Impressive aro. My second order.
  • Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited November 2023
    @Whoispra

Mine, below, was $9.00 on Amazon. How much was yours? Yours has a thicker bowl.

• Options
    @Montecristo
    I can’t tell from your pipe picture, but it looks like the bowl could be wood “other than briar”?  Is it rosewood?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Yes, perhaps. I can’t tell.

• Options
    @Montecristo mine was $50-60 brand new, I cant recall exactly and am too sorry to look it up. I know the standard Nording Compass (colored metal wrap on the bowl) are like $50 depending on the source. I liked the exposed briar bowl much better aesthetically but I think they are about the same price. it is way lighter than expected and the bowl is quite small. Given I rarely get 1+ hours to smoke a bowl I think that'll be a good thing for me. Packing it may be a little bit of a learning experience and i'm anxious to see if it is a good bowl for virginias given i've heard anecdotally that tall slender bowls are better for them.
  • Options
    @motie2 wait a minute! That's not an E.A. Carey pipe?!  
  • Options
    @Zouave1864

Ah, yes. Institutional memory. I always thought the Nordings were sorta cool, but I could never pull the trigger just to satisfy my sense of "cool looking." When I saw the pipe on Amazon, I hoped it was maybe a reasonable knock-off of similar Nordingsm and for under ten bucks a steal.  (I'm still horrified at the thought that someone might buy the pipe at Walmart for that price.) The Amazon pipe is sturdy and smokes as about as well as an average cob. The bit is plastic, the stem is metal, and the bowl is "wood."  Considering how much a cob goes for today, not a rip off, but not a reasonable knock-off. Just a cheap, and smaller bowl, copy. So it goes.....
  • Options
    @motie2 I do like the nordings, I just haven't been able to get myself to spring one. For a similar price, I think I would be more inclined to grab one of Rattrays Ahoy pipes. Thicker stem but similar appearance. 
  • Options
    That CBRM is a damn impressive blend. Everything one could ask in a cherry aromatic. No rough edges at all.
  • Options
    @DSturg369;
    Every well stocked cellar should have these. Just don't mention anything about my opinion to me Bride.
  • Options
    One for now. Nine for the celler. 🎅🏻
  • Options
    Today I received a tin of C&D “Evergreen”, and a tin of Mac Barren’s “Royal Twist Deluxe Roll Cake 2023”, along with a Pete Iora 53.  The package was sitting on my porch since about 6:00PM.  I just looked for my mail at about 2:00AM….Whew, luckily no porch pirates were lurking about.
  • Options
    I got to sample the 2022 version and liked it so I decided to buy one tin when I saw this. 

• Options
    4oz of dark holler the country squire limited release aromatic with perique and a tin of the 50th anniversary blend which is a VaPer. Excited to try them both and that’ll be the last order from them for awhile. Want to branch out to other manufacturers.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 13
    Well, it's not a tobacco purchase, but it is pipe related.
    Recieved in the mail today, a pipe cleaning kit:
    EA Carey pipe cleaner
    Stem polish/cleaner
    Polishing cloth
    2 shank brushes
    Tool
    100 BJ Long pipe cleaners
    Total cost, tax and all, $21.62
    Never used their stem polish/cleaner, so I'm anxious to give it a try...

• Options
    edited January 13
    @KA9FFJ
    Let us know how it works.  I have tried several types, and none have impressed, in fact, one was “toilet bowl cleaner” disgusting 🤢. I actually poured all three bottles in the toilet.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar 🤢
    This is an EA Carey product, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    Do you happen to recall the product name of your throw-away? Hope it wasn't a Carey product...😬
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Yes, it is/was Decatur Pipe Shield Briar-Fresh Airway Cleaner.
    It actually smelled like diluted toilet bowl cleaner, it really did.

The directions specifically say,
    Allow to dry at least a half hour before smoking.  
    Not for internal use.  
    Do not use on wood.

I’m pretty sure briar is wood…….
  • Options
    Today’s loot, a pipe, all the way from SPC.EU in Ireland, and no, it is not a Peterson😉.  It is an estate,  Foundation by Musico Special (2015).  It is the pipe that started my P.A.D. of Musico pipes.  I really liked this pipe when I saw a picture posted by @motie2 in “What are you drinking while smoking your pipe today” on page 34.  Does it look familiar?🙂.  This is that pipe, it was owned by Adam O’Neill of SmokingPipes.com.  I emailed SPC.EU after I purchased it, and he confirmed it was his.  I must be living right, it took a few years, but it made it to me🙂