Home General

What did your Father smoke?

With Father's Day almost here, many of us were influenced by dad to pick up a pipe.  What did your Dad smoke?

Mine was Cherry exclusive - Paladin Black Cherry and Middleton Cherry mostly

Comments

• My father was a cigarette smoker. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.

My step-grand father was a pipe smoker. He smoked George Washington until they stopped making it and then I think he switched to Carter Hall.

I bought an unopened, still sealed 14 oz. can of George Washington about four years ago. It was still fresh and soft. I will smoke a bowl for him on Sunday. Weather permitting in SE Louisiana.
  • My father smoked unfiltered Camels. He died at 54 in 1972 from complications of Gall Bladder Surgery. I'll be celebrating his memory.
  • mfresamfresa Master
    My dad smoked Cavendish.  Don't know exactly which kind.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Unfiltered Camels, three packs a day. After one lung removed because of Johnny Bench disease (not smoking!!!!) he smoked cigars until the Alzheimer’s got him. He had one pipe, a Marxman, but I never saw him smoke it.
  • My father was also a heavy cigarette smoker. I timed him once just observing him smoke.  I can’t remember if it took 7 minutes to burn one, then 10 minutes to light another, or the other way around?  Either way, that’s a lot of cigs.  He said he started when he was 12, which would have been about 1939, he had several older brothers to “help” him start the habit.
    He and his twin also dabbled in the pipe, although I never saw either actually smoke one in the time I had with them. I am still looking for the pictures of them, each with a pipe.  I know they exist, I just haven’t rounded them up.  I plan on posting them, if I ever find them, in “Interesting Faces”.
    They were on a trip through Yellowstone Park at the time, sometime in the late 50’s, early 60’s.  It was before he married my mom in 1964.
    I have my uncle’s Frank Medico briar and an old empty tin of Mac Baren “Scottish Mixture” that was in his stuff after he passed.  My brother has, what I think is, my fathers pipe, which was a Dr. Grabow.  Dad had several big tins of Velvet, but I don’t know if that is what he smoked in his pipe?  He definitely smoked Velvet in roll-your-own cigs.  Throat cancer, emphysema, and pretty much cancer everywhere else did him in at 62 in 1989.  It didn’t help that he was also a heavy drinker.
  • One grand-dad a non-smoker while I knew him.
    The other was a pipe smoker, one of those metal-framed pipes with wires stretched along the two side edges. I know he smoked tobacco from those vertical tins, and I mostly remember they were primarily red -- Prince Albert? Half-n-Half sometimes.
    I remember my dad as primarily a cigar smoker, though I do have some memories of him with a pipe on occasion.
  • My Dad was a cigarette smoker, he has a pipe that smoke it very once and wile. He smoked until 70 when he quit smoke.
  • My dad smokes Marlboros. When I told him I took up pipe smoking, he was a little disappointed, and told me smoking would most likely kill him. That was a fun talk.

Not long after though, he came around, and doesn't mind that I do. He's never seen me smoke a pipe, as I only enjoy my pipe by myself.
  • My dad was a cigarette smoker, but growing up our next door neighbor smoked a pipe. He is the man who gave me my first pipe and taught me how to smoke it. 
  • My Dad smoked unfiltered Camels.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2022
    My dad was raised and worked on his dad's tobacco farm in Kentucky. He started smoking "roll-your-own" at 9, then changed to Camels, then various brands.
    Smoked half to a full pack a day until he was 65 or 67. He started getting respiratory issues and shortness of breath. Doctor told him he HAD to quit if he wanted any chance of living beyond the next year.
    Here comes the strange part, he QUIT! I mean, COLD TURKEY, after 56/58 years of smoking!
    He then had a decent quality of life until he passed at 96... That's not a typo, 96!...
    My pipe smoking exposer came from 2 uncles (dad's brothers)...
  • @KA9FFJ that sounds like my grandfather. A life long smoker, when his Dr. Told him he needed to quit he came strait home put his pipes away and never touched them ever again. After he passed I found them all in his basement half of them still packed full of tobacco from the day he set them aside. 
  • @Neoshaone
    I think we had the same neighbor!  Mine did the exact same thing minus giving me a pipe. He was a big mentor of mine growing up. 
  • Mostly Half-and-Half in a Grabow. 
  • NeoshaoneNeoshaone Master
    edited June 2022
    My dad smoked cigarettes, it was my neighbor who was a pipe smoker
  • mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My dad never smoked. My uncle Stan smoked a pipe and I remember visiting him and always smelling the sweet smell of permeated pipe aroma (i loved it then too). A few of my other uncle's and aunt's smoked cigarettes and one of my uncles smoked cigars. My childhood best friend's dad smoked cigars all the time.
  • My dad quit smoking cigarettes before I was born, but his brother smoked a pipe, Dr. Gravies and Carter Hall, he was my inspiration to take up the pipe.
  • Oops, Dr. Grabow, damn spellcheck.
  • My Dad was a cigarette smoker, but my Grandfather alternated between cigarettes and a pipe. He smoked cigarettes when he was out in public or at work for the convenience - but when he was relaxing at home he smoked his pipe. And of memory serves me, he smoked OTC blends like Prince Albert or Half And Half.
  • Four packs of regular unfiltered Camels each day. Never saw him with cigarette in hand; he lipped ‘em right from the pack and spit out a tiny butt. He also woke the household every morning, hawking into the kitchen sink (nice……)
  • My Dad didn't smoke. My mom smoked cools.  Guess because she was cool.
  • @Montecristo;
    My Dad also smoked unfiltered Camels. He would light up at the Breakfast Table and I'd almost hawk into the kitchen sink.
  • After they removed a lung, my father switched to Griffin cigars. Mom smoked unfiltered Chesterfields.
  • Boswells posted this: