Home General
Options

Peterson Pipes

I have owned a number of Peterson pipes over the years, decent smokers at a reasonable price. After reading an article in the latest issue of P&T Magazine, I won't purchase another, and this is why. Peterson employs 40 workers, none of which smoke a pipe, intact there is only one pipe smoker in the entire company, and he rarely smokes a pipe, other than when he is tasting Peterson tobaccos for new release. Further, they don't even turn their own bowls, that is done in Italy along with the cutting of the stems. The only work done in the factory, is the finishing of the pipes.
Now, as an avid smoker and collector, why spend my money on a Peterson, when they don't even share in the hobby? Isn't our money spent more wisely on boutique pipe makers that enjoy the hobby first and foremost, and create pipes out of the love of the hobby, and the desire to advance the hobby, through the creation of art, that furthers our endeavors in pipe, and tobacco related pursuits?

Comments

• Options
    luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    Unless things have changed, Peterson is infamous for a difficult break in because they dip the entire bowl in the stain. They might as well let the Italians finish the bowls properly.
  • Options
    That's a shame to hear about the lack of pipe smokers at Petersons. However, I have been to their store in Dublin twice, and I've always been treated well there. The news wont keep me from buying a Peterson pipe in the future, but I also have enough that I won't need a new one for awhile.
  • Options
    I have two Person pipes and I love both. Sad to hear some of the work done is out of the factory but in my book they still produce a great pipe 

13151657_10206280861089883_6708419751949187173_n
  • Options
    Like I said, I own a number of Petersons, they are pretty good smokers, not the best in the price range by a long shot, but not bad. The thing that I always liked about the pipes were the design, finding that they are not really responsible for bowl turning, I found disappointing. If the pipe is made in Italy, why not buy an Italian pipe? Also, the fact that they are not pipe people, with the exception of selling them, makes me say, hey, lets support a pipe maker that is actually interested in the hobby. For the thousands of Peterson fans, I'm sure they will remain fans, as it should be. I'm not down on Peterson, in fact, I'm smoking one now, one of my favorite  clinchers, I just thought it was interesting factoids about the company. I guess the romantic side of me, envisioned a pipe factory where a bunch of Irishmen were sitting around smoking pipes, and turning out these beautiful classic designs, and enjoying the hobby as they were doing it. So much for romance.
  • Options
    thesubconthesubcon Newcomer
    i totally wanna get one. my goal is to get at least one peterson, one comoy, and one moonshine.
    thebadgerpiper
    Abreathawayfromglory i love yours
  • Options
    SmokingChef I wish those romantic thoughts were true as well. I can't fault you on preferring to support pipe makers who actually smoke pipes. Do what you feel is right in the situation, and I completely respect that. You wont hear me arguing for you to do otherwise.

For me, I just love Peterson's and how they look. I chose a Peterson as my first pipe because I dig their designs. When I thought of a pipe, a Peterson was what came to my mind. I love all of my Pete's, and they'll be part of my collection until I pass on.

@thesubcon Going to Peterson's shop was a dream come true for me. If you get a chance to go, you'll love it.

@Abreathawayfromglory Love that Pete!
  • Options
    KyohanKyohan Newcomer
    edited June 2016
    I've been a Peterson fan for years and I currently have about 20 in my collection. I have recently been gravitating more toward Italian pipes lately - mostly Radice's - but I still love my Peterson's.
  • Options
    For anyone that wants to pick up a Oeterson at a great price, get in touch with Kier Townsend. You an find him on Facebook and he always has some great unsmoked Peterson's for a great price. Tell him I sent you.
  • Options
    I have a question for anyone, in knowing that Petersons are hard to break in. How would someone go about breaking in one? I've read all about wiping the inside with liquor etc and or just fill the bowl half way and smoking it all the way to the bottom.
    Is there a preferred method for a Peterson? New to this pipe life, online and in life.
    I have a few of estate pipes and a few basket pipes. But this is one that havn't had so I just picked up a brand-new Peterson 313 system pipe.
    Really want to form an opinion and learn from this.
  • Options
    luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    For new Petersons the ideal way may be to sand off the stain inside the bowl. Better yet, compare to Ser Jacopo, Cavicchi, Radice, Jacono, even Castello and other Italian brands in similar price ranges. They use the best briar in the world.
  • Options
    @THEBADGERPIPER
    Thanks it's my first but for sure not my last
  • Options
    I own several Peterson pipes. I've only had trouble breaking one of them in, and I sold it to a guy that loves it. That said, I love my Comoy pipes, and have recently bought a few Savinelli pipes that have been outstanding. The fact that the people at Peterson don't smoke their products does influence my opinion for future purchases.
  • Options
    smokngunssmoknguns Newcomer

I have 3 Peterson's, 1 of them is brand new. I've never had any problems with them, they are all good smokers. There is a bowl coating on all Pete's that I have seen, but bowl coatings don't really bother me, it doesn't seem to affect the taste. It is somewhat disconcerting to find out that the people at this most reputable company don't smoke pipes, definitely not what I expected to hear. I love Peterson's designs as well, most of them are a decent size chunk of briar, I always thought of them as a meaty, manly pipe.

• Options
    pipesithpipesith Newcomer
    I have several Peterson's and all of them are great smokers. I haven't had any issues breaking them in. I also understand the idea about the workers not being pipe smokers would be a disappointment. But I don't think that will influence me not getting anymore.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I have always wanted to get a Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Series - Baker Street or Hudson pipe. For now they are a bit out of my price range for new. Possibly a well treated estate maybe?
  • Options
    I've got a Pete 2014 PotY. It's a lovely pipe,and smokes like a dream. I'd buy another, but it's not a high priority.
  • Options
    I just purchased my first Pete, a X220 from their new Summertime line. I was lucky enough to be in one of their prime US retailers and who got it well before it was released else where. I am absolutely in love with the pipe, but...after the first smoke the stain started leaking out all over my hands. I was not impressed to say the least.

However, I sent their customer service department a nice (not mean and nasty) email about it. The next day I was personally contacted by Conor Palmer (Commercial Director and son of the CEO) as well as Tony Whelan (Factory Manager) who both were very apologetic and offered the best customer service I have ever received in my life. They are to be sending me a replacement pipe, so I'll follow up when it arrives. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pipeprofessor That's great to hear about their customer service.  My first non-basket pipe was a Peterson and I was hooked from then on.  I love my Petersons but have noticed that the quality is not what it used to be.  I love collecting vintage Petersons when I can and they very quickly become some of my favorite smokers but the newer ones just don't seem to be that same quality.  However, as part of my PAD I like to pick up pipes that I find attractive and unique and Petersons always seem to attract my eye so I keep collecting them.
  • Options
    Peterson has so many shapes and different 'lines' its hard to find one that doesn't speak to you!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I own two Peterson pipes, both are Standard System Pipes. One bent (317 rusticated) and one straight (408 rusticated). I love the system pipes, they are some of the driest smokes I have personally come across (they can be a pain to clean though). While it is sad that their employees aren't pipe smoking enthusiasts, they still brand some of better pipes in their price range.
  • Options
    My "Youngest" Peterson is 39 years old, all of them good smokers. I was only in their Dublin Store once in 72 and a lot of people were smoking. All the others came from their now defunct Shannon Duty Free shop. My wife and I would buy Birthday gifts for each other.
  • Options
    Being something of a horror aficionado I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for Peterson Pipes because of the Dracula Collection and Limited Edition Jekyll & Hyde series they introduced. I have a Dracula sandblasted #999 and the Jekyll & Hyde fishtail and the pair are crown jewels in my collection. Either are great to smoke while watching an old Universal Classic Monster creature feature.      
  • Options
    I thought I was going to take a break from collecting Peterson’s and focus on Savinelli pipes, but I think I might keep an eye out for an Army Mount or System pipe after Christmas. 
  • Options
    ashawleyashawley Enthusiast
    Saw a good deal on a new system 31 straight billiard pipe (priced better than €85EUR/$93USD). I'm interested in a Peterson system pipe. I'm less interested in the bent shapes. Is it true that this particular system shape is discontinued? Might be hard to replace the straight stem in the future?

Pipes System Standard Rusticated (31) P-Lip €85.37

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @ashawley
    Just a note on the Pete 31, the pipe is on the small side, and the bowl is only about half as deep as normal because of the well directly underneath the bowl.  It’s a pretty short smoke…even for a guy like me that gravitates towards smaller pipes.  I’m not trying to dissuade you in any way though.  I also gravitate to straight pipes, but the Peterson System really shines in bents.
  • Options
    ashawleyashawley Enthusiast
    @RockyMountainBriar I don't mind the dissuasion. That's good to know about the small bowl size, thanks. I don't mind short smokes, either. Yeah, looks like the chamber is 30% smaller. For some reason I prefer straights for the mechanics, but also because I don't enjoy bents for the objective reason that the smoke ends up in my face and up my nose.
  • Options
    @ashawley
    I had that very problem with my Pete 03 last night.  It sucks when the smoke tears my eye’s while trying to dispatch other players in WoT online.