Home General
Options

Happy Birthday USMC

November 10, 1775 - Two battalions  of Marines were authorized by the Continental Congress...
The rest is history... 

Comments

• Options
    @KA9FFJ

Semper Fi, Marine.

Note: Is it inappropriate for a civilian to say Semper Fi to a Marine?

It isn't inappropriate; it's just weird. (I have always enjoyed being weird). The people who say Semper Fi are other Marine veterans. It is a signal that that other person in the conversation is a Marine. When non-Marines use the term, it isn't wrong, it just sends the wrong message.

OK, then...... Be always faithful, Marine.

Also, regarding chants: Oorah has been a battle cry of the Marine Corps since the mid-20th century, compared to hooah in the Army and hooyah in the Navy and Coast Guard. 
  • Options
    @motie2 Your research leaves you correct as usual. 
    Tnx for all you do for the members here at TPL. Your contribution are always MOST appreciated...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I've never run across any mention of "hooyah" in the USCG, during my stretch from 1972 to 1982.
    Though I did run across some who used "Up Behind!" (an obsolete term from when a ship's launches were lowered to the water by manual labor). Though they may have been using it more as a rallying cry at the beginning of a brawl.
  • Options
    @motie2

First, Happy Birthday to the U.S. Marines. You're my second favorite military service. 

I think Marines do find it inappropriate for someone who has never served to say "Semper Fi." I haven't met a Marine who minds it when someone who has served in one of the other services (except for maybe the Air Force) to greet a Marine or use that term as an exclamation. I've been greeted by a number of former Marines who will say "Semper Paratus" to me. Then again, there has always been a deep mutual respect between the Marine Corps and the Coast Guard. 

Well, you can't believe everything on wikipedia. I served from 1972 to 1993 and I never heard anyone used "hooyah" in the Coast Guard. I don't recall anyone in the Navy using "hooyah" either but I did hear a lot of younger Marines use "OOH-Ra". 

I was involved with a number of joint military exercises after I became a Chief Petty Officer (E-7) and I do remember (vaguely) sitting around with other senior enlisted personnel while meditating over cold, amber colored beverages and discussing the daily activities. One Master Gunnery Sergeant in particular got quite irritated when a squad of Marines marched by shouting "OOH-Rah" over and over again. His comment was, "I'd like to stand the asshole who started that shit in front of the target during qualifications."

I also have a cousin who retired as a Gunnery Sergeant in the 1980s and served two tours of duty as a Drill Instructor. He told me once that one of the best things about retiring is not having to hear "Ooh-Rah" a thousand times a day. 

• Options
    Great read @PappyJoe
    I too was never involved with that whole yelling thing. Bad habit to get into when the slightest twig snap could bring unwanted fire power down on you. 
    Most of my platoon were near experts at being silent. We left the yelling stuff to show offs and noncombat personnel...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2020
    And there it is. Thanks, @pappyjoe

However, this isn’t Wikipedia....
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/hooyah

And there’s this book....
    https://www.amazon.com/HOOYAH-Operators-Autobiographical-Account-Sacrifice-ebook/dp/B08CZ753V2/ref=nodl_

Perhaps “hooyah” is an onomatopoeia for the loud “gahooyuh” siren/alarm/klaxon sounded before battle stations.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Your earlier link was to wikipedia.

The Cambridge link specifies "Navy Seals".  One thing I find interesting is this quote from the Cambridge link: "He explained to us that “Hooyah!” is used in the Navy as an acknowledgement or a “yes sir!”."

Hate to argue the point, but the correct and immediate response to a command used in the Navy and Coast Guard is "Aye, Aye, Sir!" That is not only a long standing proper response initially taught in basic training - the first Aye means you've heard the command, the second Aye means you will/are complying with the command - but, if you respond in any other manner than you will get immediately in trouble. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

Thank you for a fascinating discussion. Everything duly noted!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    My apologies for the Semper Fi in an earlier post. I was not aware of the inappropriateness of statement by a civilian.
  • Options
    No apologies necessary @opipeman
    I found out a long time ago that being offended is a waste of time. And another thought I go by; if I can't/don't laugh at myself, someone else will... 🙂