Home Tobacco Talk
Options

How Big is Your Cellar?

I'm going to be lazy and not search to see if this discussion has been started before. A discussion on another forum prompted this.

As I was soaking four heavily oxidized vulcanite pipe stems on the Comoy's I'm restoring, I was bored and saw a discussion about tobacco cellars and storage. One of the questions was how long would your tobacco last if you didn't buy anymore? Some guys were saying they would have to live past 100 before they could smoke everything they had.

I thought about it and realized I didn't have a good inventory of what I have. So I spent a couple of hours doing an inventory. I have approximately 9.374 lbs. of tobacco. Most of that is in unopened tins. I figure if I don't buy anymore pipe tobacco (HAH! Like that's going to happen.) It would take until approximately my 73rd birthday before I run out.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think your cellar , @PappyJoe , is unusually large. I had at last count a combination of 2oz jars and unopened tins totaling 160 units or about 10 pounds. I don't want to take a chance of running out. 
  • Options
    @Danfriedman

I consider my cellar to be relatively small now. At one point a couple of years ago, it was around 15 lbs. I guess I've been smoking more than buying lately.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    With the recent ruling regarding the DFA and the kibosh they plan on aromatic flavored tobacco I halfheartedly went through my cellar to assess the situation. I have several dozen quart jars of assorted Sutliff bulk aromatics and twenty-five or thirty tinned tobacco products. Not to mention another dozen or so pouches of various Captain Black blends I bought when they were on sale. As well as a few other common OTC pouched blends.
    I have all the blends written down in a record book, each listing with either a re-order point, or a notation not to re-order when the supply runs out because it's just 'so-so'. Unfortunately I haven't updated it as of late so supplies on some of my favorite blends are running dangerously low.
    There are over 100 blends listed.  But not all are favorites and considered expendable when it runs out. Yet each blend is enjoyable in it's own way ... and apparently something I liked enough to buy a 16 oz. bag of. Unfortunately my cellar isn't well stocked with enough of my personal favorites to last me indefinitely - when the hammer falls and on-line purchases are forbidden.
    Just recently I was devastated when I discovered "Wild Hare" had been discontinued, and still long for that discontinued P&C "Out Of Office" "Gone Fishing" blend. So to avoid that same misery I'm going to have to double-up on tins of "Molto Dolce" and the "East India Trading Company" blend"Officer's Club".
    I just ordered three tins of "Eileen's Dream" earlier this week before reading @motie2 message about the proposed vote to ban flavored tobacco products. So now I'll have to put in another order ASAP.
    After going over my stock I think I have enough of the various Russ Monthly Blends to ration out. My favorite of the lot is "Warm Up", and I have about three jars of that. But I need to get a pound or two of Scotty's "Trout Stream" safely jarred in the cellar before the hammer falls because that's a blend I can't imagine living without.
    While watching the news today I noticed a crawl across the bottom of the screen announcing the House passed that Bill to ban the sale of flavored tobacco - but Trump has vowed to Veto it. So what-ever eventually happens I hope it gives me enough time to build my cellar to capacity of personal 'can't do without' blends before the law goes into effect, and on-line sales and flavored aromatic tobacco is unattainable.     
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    My next project will be to categorize my inventory list so I can figure out just how much is aromatics and then buy more aromatics. Fortunately, if the bill was to become law, usually their is a time period before the law goes into effect. 
    The House approved the bill, 213-195, on Friday, sending it to the Senate, where approval is considered unlikely.

@SgtDanner
    Welcome to what we lovingly call Tobacco Acquisition Disorder. That's the compulsive buying of pipe tobacco usually in an effort to find the "one" tobacco you would be happy with for the rest of your pipe smoking life. I've had that problem since about 1972.

• Options
    Due to the latest FDA BS and the report on the house passing new rules, I inventoried what I have in an effort to decide if I need to purchase more at this time.
    I'm going on 62 years this year but I do not have a good understanding of how much I consume per year; so calculating how long my cellar will last is nebulous at this point.
    I am going to continue to acquire more tobacco stock in the foreseeable future, however I, have roughly 63 pounds in the cellar so at this point I think I, I'm good till at least 70 years old.

• Options
    I have six of these, almost filled (not shown actual size)

also two unopened 1.75 ounce tins.

The only panic buys I foresee are -- hopefully -- two additional ounces of C&D's Captain Bob's Blend, and the two new Seattle Pipe Club "Barrel Aged" Blends.
  • Options
    SgtDannerSgtDanner Enthusiast
    edited February 2020
    @PappyJoe  Yes Sir I heard about that disorder, I have embraced it fully! 😉
    I’m waiting now for income tax return to make it into the bank and I will stock up some more, lol! 😁
  • Options
    I too am a fairly new pipe smoker and have embraced the TAD.  I roughly estimated that I have about 20 lbs. of tobacco in about 150 different blends.  I have in general about 4 oz./100 grams of each blend (the amount that fit in my mason jars stuffed to the top), along with a few of my favorites stashed away in 8 oz. to 1 lb. hordes.  I am a very light smoker and nearing 56 years old, so even if I could no longer buy aromatic tobaccos, I am sure I have enough to outlast me.  I love my aromatics, but if the SHTF, I enjoy Va-Pers enough to get me by if needed, that, and I know I can grow and process my own tobacco. 

🤔Hmm, it seems that growing ganja will possibly be more “politically correct” and probably even legal in the near future, with tobacco taking on the mantra of the “evil weed”.  I will have to “subversively” grow my tobacco in a grow house camouflaged with marijuana.  Hell, if it actually comes to that, I would be able to sell off the maryjane crop to fund my illegal tobacco grow operation.🤔
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh, btw, I also have probably a couple hundred cigars stashed away too.  Most of those are for friends that stop over that prefer cigars over pipes.
  • Options
    I am estimating about 30 different Tobaccos in my cellar. So as of now, I venture to say I have almost 8lbs. Total. Guess I need to load up. 
  • Options
    Not big enough.

On a more serious answer, I have a ton of jars and tins stored away in a tupperware tub and shelf. I have a good amount of each blend that I enjoy, but I plan on buying multiples of single blends that I love, just to stay ahead of the Funless Dummy Association. 

Of course, some of my favorites are bit hard to come by, such as Ennerdale. Next time that's in stock, and I'm able to, I plan on purchasing a good amount of that. No one will take my beloved Lakelands away from me.
  • Options
    Maybe 8 pounds bulk, and around 18 tins in my cupboard. Not nearly enough.
  • Options
    When is enough never enough? When you run out.
    When will you run out? Who the Hell knows?
    What will I do when I run out of tobacco? I guess I'll learn to smoke a mixture of oak leaves, coffee grounds, loose tea, grass clippings, a variety of Watkins food grade flavoring to create my own aromatic concoctions, and to get that unique Perique aroma I'll visit the local petting zoo and grab a handful of urine soaked straw from the goat pen.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Or some Kinnikinnick?
  • Options
    After they outlaw tobacco, I'm sure we will have a few days before the law takes effect so I plan on spending as much of my available cash to buy what I can at the local places carrying tobacco. 
  • Options
    Tnx @motie2 I wasn't sure and too lazy to look it up...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I heard the term in the movie “The Mountain Men”.  They are smoking a pipe with a Native friend and tells him his “tobacco” tastes like “bufaler shit”...at which point his friend says...”It is”....😂😂😂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar -- A similar blend to the one you refer to, above.