Clay Pipes

jfreedyjfreedy Master
edited October 2018 in Pipes & Tools

So I bought one of those clay German Tavern pipes from SmokingPipes last week ($11). I had been considering getting one for some time and finally pulled the trigger. I smoked a couple of bowls with a buddy of mine last night, and I have to say I was impressed. Not only do you get the pure taste of the tobacco, but every bowl seemed to stay lit much better. Both bowls of Bag End (broken flake) as well as a bowl of 1Q (ribbon cut) smoked great. I will definitely be smoking this pipe a lot. Any other clay pipe owners out there? What’s been your experience?

Comments

• jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited October 2018
    @jfreedy ; I guess the bowl tends to get pretty hot though, right?  I've never smoked one buy I'm intrigued enough to look into it.
  • Yep, the bowl walls are really thin, and they get hot fast. That’s why most people hold it by the stem. The smoke that hits your mouth is actually very cool. Mine has a long stem but not technically a churchwarden. Also, the bowl seemed to cool very quickly when I set it down. 
  • I’ve got a couple clays ,,, brand new, in my collection,, Have to sort them out and try them.
  • WintonWinton Connoisseur
    I smoked one of my clay pipes last night. I like the fact that they get hot. That is an early warning that you are smoking too fast. Better to warm up your fingers than your tongue. The flavors come to you straight, without ghosting. If it gets dirty or something gets stuck in the stem, you can put the pipe in the fireplace and it will clean it out. This might change the color of the pipe, but not the smoking features. I also recommend putting some chapstick or wax on the first 1" of the mouthpiece. Your lips will tend to stick to the clay, unless you lick your lips first. The wax will resolve that issue. 

Don't drop the pipe.  
  • WintonWinton Connoisseur
    I really like the LePeltier clay pipes. I nave never heard of them before, but this is definitely on my wish list!
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Old German Clay Pipes Now On Sale - 20% OFF Until 10/10!
    https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/old-german-clay-pipes-brand/1702161/

Old German Clay Pipes

Old German Clay Pipes are high-quality clays that are manufactured using the same techniques that were used centuries ago. Each pipe is cast in molds that are between 100 and 200 years old. Most modern clay pipes are slip-casted, which produces a pipe that is very delicate and fragile. Old German Clay Pipes casts each pipe for a solid, sturdy and old-world quality clay that is second to none. For a true clay pipe experience, Old German Clay Pipes offer a variety of styles to choose from.  

​You should avoid building much of a cake in a clay pipe as the cake can expand and cause the bowl to crack. Here's the proper method to eliminate the cake according to the manufacturer:
    Fire up some charcoal in your grill, or get your gas grill going. Remove the stem (if it has one), and put the bowl in the coals or place it above the gas flame. Give the pipe about 15 to 20 minutes. In that time, the cake should burn off. Remove the bowl using tongs and allow it to cool and the cake should be gone. Repeat, if necessary. Please note - black clay pipes will turn white after doing this.​​

Old German Clay Pipes Now On Sale - 20% OFF Until 10/10!

• Never tried a clay pipe, though after looking at those Lepeltier pipes I'll have to change that.
  • I've got two and while I don't smoke them all that often they are a very pleasant smoke. One has varnish on the last inch or so of the stem and it doesn't stick to your lips like the unfinished Clay sometimes does. 

The modern Clay pipes with the vulcanite or Lucite mouthpieces aren't as radical a departure as you would think. There are pipes from Jamestown with the bowl made of clay and the stem made of reed or wood. These were from the 17th century so the idea is about as old as the "traditional" Clay pipe. 
  • Never had or tried one but think I should try.