Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Guilty Pleasure - Aromatic

I know Aromatics Are normally looked upon being blends for starters. Yet I have a feeling even the most dedicated English or Virgina blend smoker probably has one or two Aromatics that they always go back to on occasion. I'll start this off. I currently have two that I find myself going back to from time to time. Lane RLP-6 and Old Toby from the Country Squire. The touch of Perique in Old Toby gives a nice twist which I normally don't find in other aromatics. I personally do not think aromatics are from the novice. I usually have one in my weekly rotation it all depends on the mood I am in.

Comments

• Options
    @dstrib Finally, someone else that appreciates the flavor of Old Toby. I love this stuff. It's in my weekly rotation without fail. Love the flavor.
  • Options
    Apricots and Cream from C&D. McClelland 3 Cherry. Both are great smokes with a little drying out.
  • Options
    I don't have any that I "go back to", in the sense of a tobacco I used to smoke or started out with ; I do, however, enjoy 4Noggins Covered Bridges from time to time, which I discovered after they sent me a sample when I bought a pipe from them.
  • Options
    I smoke mostly VaBurs, but I always have at least one open tin of something aromatic lying around. I normally have an open tin of Orlik Mellow Mixture or Stanwell Jubilee somewhere close by.

I completely agree with you that aromatics are for everyone. The purist-elitist nonsense is just silly.
  • Options
    It's so strange that aromatics are usually seen as being for beginners.  I mean, you're right - that's definitely where it seems that most pipe smokers start before many eventually move on...but aromatics release the best of their flavor when smoked cool and slow with the practiced technique that more experienced smokers develop.

That's always struck me as interesting.

But to answer your question, I LOVE C&D Autumn Evening once the weather starts to cool down, and I always have a few ounces of Lane 1Q or Lane RLP-6 lying around in case I get a sweet tooth.
  • Options
    I love aromatics, and I enjoy a variety. I would actually contend that, with all the simple syrups or natural sugars found in many aromatics, they are more difficult to smoke cool and enjoy flavor-wise.

Currently, I'm enjoying some Private Blend from Paul's Pipe Shop and Hospital out of Flint, MI.
  • Options
    Autumn Evening for me.
  • Options
    Been smoking for 50 years or better and I'm still smoking aromatics. The main reason ... I like them.
  • Options
    Ghost

I am with you Buddy. I too have been smoking pipes (and cigars) for just about 50 years and i STILL love them. I can count the times I have smoked English, Balkan, or Oriental pipe tobacco on less that 2 hands. I LOVE the aromatic tobaccos, the way they taste and the way they smell. I still smoke some OTC tobaccos like CH, PA, H&H, etc. which depending on what day it is, is either a Aromatic or a non Aromatic. I LOVE to mix Sutliff Vanilla Custard with Carter Hall for an incredible smoke.

That crap that some smokers look down their noses at is just BS. What tobacco you smoke does not put you in any particular class other than being a Pipe Smoker.

Imagine how boring this world would be without choices.
  • Options
    First pipe life I began with OTC's and graduated to Enlish/Orientals and VaPers; a proper progression. Then one day, someone offered me a bowl of Cousin's Aromatic Mixture, and from then on it's all I smoked for a couple of years. We're talking here of a pipe life from 1964 until the mid-1980's, when I just quit smoking. I picked up the pipe again last summer and began with BlackHouse and WhiteKnight, looking for  a Balkan Sobranie analog. I also went back to Escudo, the VaPer gold standard. Nothing satisfied. Then I tried the highly touted (or defamed) Molto Dolce, then Maple Street, then Creme Brulee, then Vanilla Custard, and finally, Barbados Plantation (after trying several bulk rum blends from Sutliff), with side trips to Virginia Cream, Autumn Evening, Russ' Warm-Up, and Erinmore flake. (The whole Mrs. Hudson's saga is another story). For the last month all I've been smoking Barbados Plantation exclusively. I tried smoking some Vanilla Custard, the blend that mixes with everything. No joy. Then I mixed VC with the BP. Again, no joy. 

So, I'm following the pattern of my first pipe life , becoming a smoker of one blend only (again, except for an occasional celebratory bowl of the divine Mrs. Hudson's. If it was available pre-blended. I'd smoke it more often. In the meantime: Barbados Plantation!!!!
  • Options
    @Motie2 Same hold true for men's cologne and women's perfume. Some seem to go better with a person's chemistry than others no matter how expensive or cheap they may be. I've been using some brand called CUBA GOLD which is housed in a bottle that looks like a cigar - and I get the best compliments from the ladies. And it's not that expensive. Then I've gotten much more cologne for Christmas that just made me smell like a French whore. I guess the Barbados Plantation goes so well with your body chemistry and palate that it has become what people refer to as 'a match made in Heaven'. I envy you. I haven't found that ultimate smoke yet. But then again - with the extensive cellar I've amassed, the last thing I need is to find one tobacco and quite smoking everything else.  
  • Options
    I'm a rara avis. For decades, I've mixed 4711 50/50 with Old Spice Cologne. I like it. Being married, I'm not concerned with others. I like it.
  • Options
    I agree with all of you.  I have a few aromatics as well only because I enjoy them. I don't puff my pipe for anyone either so who cares what I put in it. Some of my favorites are LL7, Cult BRM, C&D autumn evening and Captain Back to name a few.
  • Options
    One of the things that deters people from trying pipe smoking is the perception that pipe smokers are pretentious.   Just have a look at almost any aromatic review on tobaccosreviews.com and you immediately understand that there is unfortunately something to that perception. Too bad that the negativity comes into play. No guilt in my game......I will always keep some aromatics in my rotation.

My favorites are the Boswell aromatic blends - I find them to be dryer than most other aromatics, and maybe a little more subtle in flavoring.  Boswell No Bite Delite and Boswell's Best are my two favorite.  Sutliff also has some nice blends - I like Black and Gold Cavendish.  From time to time I will enjoy their Creme Brulee or Vanilla Custard also, but as somebody noted already here they really need some drying time before packing.  

Some good suggestions above - I think I  need to try some C&D Autumn Evening and some Barbados Plantation.  
  • Options
    @Rusty69 -- At last! Someone who speaks Barbados Plantation. (I've been so lonely.....)
    Seriously, it's the only blend I smoke, other than an occasional bowl of Mrs. Hudson's.
  • Options
    I'm discovering that I like English blends. And VaPers. And VaBurs. And Latakia bombs.  And aromatics. I like shredded, ribbon cut, ready rubbed, cubed, flakes, cakes, coins, and twists. Are there other forms?

And in each of those categories I find things I'm not partial to. I haven't found a nothing-but-virginia blends I've liked, but give me more time, and make suggestions, and I'll probably find one I like too.

But in terms of aromatics, @motie2 got me hooked on Sutliff Vanilla Creme. I also am really thrilled with Country Squire White Rose. It is a really interesting, complex, aromatic that isn't super sweet, it's a tobacco version of a dry Riesling IMHO.
  • Options
    I'm with you motie,I love Old Spice cologne.It is timeless.
  • Options
    Lane 1Q and BCA  are a couple on Aros I go to.
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- This time around (new millenium) I heard so much about 1Q that I had to try it. It's a wonderful aro for those who enjoy the real taste of tobacco, but for us Sutliff Sissies, the flavoring (however added/applied) is the thing.
  • Options
    @mseddon. You haven't mentioned Ropes or Plugs, they require slicing across the grain with a very sharp knife and then most people crumble the slices some. I've found that most of them are very strong, high Nic. but I've only tried 2 ropes and 2 plugs. There are also Crumble Cakes that are fairly milder.
  • Options
    @Woodsman
    Good point! I'd love to try a rope/plug! 
  • Options
    Captain Black Original is still a nice smoking tobacco. I don't really care that it's OTC, cheap tobacco that comes in a pouch. I like it!
  • Options
    That's all that's important in a pipe tobacco.... that you like it.
  • Options
    Recently tried Erin Go Bragh (Irish Whiskey). It was on sale at Pipes and Cigars for 3.99 with free shipping. I added it to my order and glad I did. I'll probably be adding it to my rotation... especially if they start selling it in bulk...
  • Options
    P&C has restocked Barbados Plantation
  • Options
    Newminster No.23 Blackberry Brandy.
  • Options
    McClelland 715 Raspberries in Cream.