Home Pipes & Tools
Options

A Pipe by an Unusual Carver

Last month, I won a contest from the Maple City Pipe Cast (an excellent podcast well worth checking out), with the prize being an Oom Paul pipe. Now, I've never had an Oom Paul before, so I was excited to win a pipe with a unique shape. It just arrived last Saturday, and it's massive! It's easily one of the largest pipes in my collection.

Normally I wouldn't make a thread just about a new pipe, but after learning some history about this pipe, I thought I'd share it. This is a Tom Howard pipe. Now, as a young whippersnapper, I wasn't familiar with the name, so when Maple City told me it was a Tom Howard pipe, I didn't understand the significance. Turns out Tom was an interesting guy, based on his pipedia page.

From Pipedia:
"Tom Howard was a popular comedian and personality in the 1940s/50s, known for vaudeville stage and radio work. But he also was a skilled pipe maker."

So Tom carved pipes as a hobby. I can't think of too many pipe carvers with an acting background. You can find his pipes on ebay for a decent price. I haven't smoked it yet, but the craftsmanship is there.

Comments