Home General
Options

Borkum Riff/Sir Walter Raleigh coupons

FozzieFozzie Apprentice
i have two coupons for $3 off per pouch. I don’t like either brand and will send them to the first person whe send me their address. Hey $6 is $6!  Fozzie71@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    @Fozzie I have a pair of those coupons as well - received them with a pair of $5.00 off for Captain Black - and was able to redeem the Captain Blacks coupons but I have yet to find a store around here where I can get Sir Walter Raliegh. I used to see it everywhere. But now that I'm looking for a pouch I can't find any. There is an aromatic blend that I want to try. Thanks for the generous offer - the folks here are extremely giving and sharing people.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii — same here in Oklahoma. You can barely find Cpt. Black but nothing else. 
  • Options
    Anyone have any feedback on SWR Aromatic? I have a couple of coupons as well, and my local dealer/smuggler says he might obtain some for me if I want to try it. It's not normally available here, for whatever the heck reason.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    edited August 2018
    I have smoked the SWR aromatic @bloodhound, if thats what your asking?. Im in Al. and can find it here sometimes, it is a good blend, a liquor, lightly sweet, very pleasent aroma (to me), has a pretty high room note...hope this helps.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61, I also smoke SWR aromatic and agree with @Jeff20 but I will also add that it is a very moist tobacco.  I personally prefer to dry it out a bit before smoking it.  Whatever your preference regarding the moisture content, it is a very pleasant and enjoyable smoke with a great room note! 
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited August 2018
    Many thanks, @Jeff20 & @Charles!  Sounds like it'd be right for my palate. I'll see if the fellow can get some in-store so I can use those coupons. Apparently in this part of Georgia, it isn't distributed officially.
  • Options

I can remember smoking Borkum Riff many years ago when it first appeared on the market. And it wasn't that bad. I still preferred the vanilla flavor of  Captain Black over the whiskey topping of Borkum Riff, but it was still a decent alternative OTC blend at a time when my tobacco purchases were mainly at drug and grocery stores. "Tinder Box" had not yet opened my eyes to bulk house blends and quality tinned tobacco. And unlike the smoother bite-free Captain Black, Borkum Riff burned hotter leading to the occasional case of tongue burn. But within the past decade or so - around the time Borkum Riff changed their artwork - so too, it appears, they changed the blend. And not for the better I might add. It taste nothing like it did years ago. 

Back in the 90s' I received a decorative tin containing six pouches of Borkum Riff for Christmas. Not long ago I discovered there were still three unopened pouches wrapped in cellophane in the tin. The decorative tin sat on a bookshelf and I'd completely forgotten the three remaining pouches were inside. Just before discovering the three forgotten pouches I purchased a special limited edition wine flavored Borkum Riff along with a regular pouch of Whiskey from Pipes&Cigars. I was pretty unsatisfied with the smoking experience and found it hard to believe I'd once enjoyed the blend. So after a few bowls I simply tossed it back in the cellar to be smoked only as a last resort in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Then once I discovered the three pouches in the tin I decided to compared the old and new, and verify that the change was more than just flashy new packaging. And as I expected it was nothing like the original (not that the original was a diamond in the raw) - but at least the old blend was smokable straight from the pouch without having to mix it with something to make it tolerable. 

The pictures are of the tin containing the three original pouches.      

• Options
    Same lack of availabilty problem in central Wisconsin. I've got several Lane LTD/STG coupons for their various brands, but no dealers in the area stock the blends. OTC pipe tobacco is no longer available OTC.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @TtWmIATA It was a bad omen for many pipe smokers when the CVS Drug Store chains banned all tobacco products. I fully expected to see Walgreens follow suit, but as of yet I still see they are selling cigarettes, cigars, and one or two brands of pipe tobacco - usually Captain Black regular. It's even become impossible to find what was once a very common blend ... Carter Hall ... anywhere. Last year I was able to find a box of Carter Hall at Mejiers but even they no longer carry it. Strangely there is an over abundance of 'chew' tobacco products. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, The Walgreens here don't even offer Captain Black, just a couple Blender's Choice blends. The most recent "joke" are the "smoke shops" that are opening that don't even stock tobacco, and the stinky weed that goes in their glass pipes isn't yet legal. There are some discount tobacco stores that offer big bags of RYO tobacco (still masquerading as "pipe" tobacco).  Although they do also offer Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Middleton Cherry, and some other value blends, along with basic cobs and Dr. Grabows. Anything else pipe related is a long drive or an internet order. Sad times and getting worse here. I'll end my lament. 
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    I c
    Could find Carter hall if I liked it which I don't.ironic and funny situation
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Love to get half and half coupons especially since the blend was improved.before that I liked it Roy style but thought it bland in a pipe.much better now
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61
         I acquired some SWR Aromatic with some of those coupons awhile back.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Regular SWR surprised me as well, good stuff for an aromatic smoker.  I do prefer the SWR Aromatic though.  Probably a reason this stuff has been around so long.  I have to say, I was not impressed with the Borkum Riff.  I have several blends/styles....none are very pleasing, even the Limited Edition Trinidad Rum.  
         I have not smoked any for quite awhile, maybe I will give it another try.  It has been in my cellar for several years already, maybe it’s better with some age on it, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The one of our local neighborhood stores on Lisbon Street, which carries the most varieties of pipe tobacco to be found locally, won't accept tobacco coupons. The other place, on Park Street in Lewiston, does. Also, though they only seem to carry 2 to 4 kinds of pipe tobacco in pouches, the Hannaford supermarkets also accept the coupons.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar, thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely give it a try as soon as my fellow can get some for me (by speedboat under cover of darkness, he makes it seem) so as to use the coupons.

I've yet to try Borkum Riff. Scanning reviews and listening to opinions, BR appears to be generally less well-regarded, though as in all things tobacco, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    I discovered I had a few unopened pouches of Borkum Riff  dating back to the mid-90s', and comparing the original blend to what's on the shelf today - it has changed significantly for the worse.