Home General
Options

Tattoos?

ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
edited June 2018 in General
Not sure if there is a post for this...Does anybody have body art they would love to display or talk about. Both of my pieces represent my faith and salvation. The anchor will eventually be filled out.

Comments

• Options
    Don't have any. Don't want any.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    I have three notes from the hymn, It is well, on my right shoulder.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @judandhispipe That’s cool. My uncle’s best friend is a tattoo artist, so it’s another form of art that I am really into.
  • Options
    I don't have any tattoos and never plan to get any. But both of my boys have them. And I wasn't too happy when they did - but to each his own ... and they were both out of the house when they received them and could do what-ever they pleased. But as Father's are want to do I made some off handed remark expressing my dissatisfaction then simply went about my business. But my youngest son later reminded me of the comment - and he actually thought it was pretty clever and has since relayed the story to all his friends, who also got a chuckle out of it. My commend was ... "Well, at least it will be easier to identify the body."  
  • Options
    Quiver with 8 arrows (one for each kid) and script of Psalm 127
  • Options
    Hula girl leaning against the quiver for my wife.
  • Options
    Matt 4:19 with a fish hook to remind me of my calling. My real name is Andrew. 
  • Options
    @Mangoandy I want to finish the anchor with Hebrews 6:19
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited June 2018
    Well, they aren't ornate in design as, just personally, I like understated, but I have the stars (just the stars) of Orion and Sagittarius on the inside of my forearms. Both are hunters and both are facing me when I draw my bow. Got them in my 50's so never say never.
  • Options
    I have 3 tattoos, my first was when I was in the Army,the next 2 Maybe in the late 70s. Actually can say I got my art work well before it became popular with the publis at large. Great art work fellas.
  • Options
    I have two tattoos that I'm proud to have on my body. I'm getting a third tattoo this Sunday, so this thread came just at the right time.

The first tattoo I got was of Hobbes of Calvin and Hobbes on my right arm, holding his paws up in the shape of a heart with "My beloved is mine, and I am hers" written in the style of the lettering in the comic. It's significant to me in two ways. It's my marriage tattoo, as my wife and I have promise rings we gave each other in college that had "my beloved is mine, and I am hers/his" etched on the band. The second reason is that Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite comic growing up. It instilled a love of following my imagination and creating fantasy.

In 2014, I had a second tattoo placed on my back. This time, it was of a badger, done in a steampunk style. This guy represents my love of the Redwall series, and the badger lords that protect the lands of Mossflower. He's also a bit inspired by Mr. Badger of The Wind in the Willows. He's there to remind me to be fearless in my creative pursuits. The phrase "Eulalia" is the war cry of badger lords in Redwall, and it means "victory."

The third tattoo will be on my left arm, and it'll also feature an animal. That's all I'll say until I can post it.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, wow the more I learn about you the more intrigued I am. I will have to send you a PM on the creative part of me that I need some help with. I don't have any tattoos but thought about it. Just can't find that one thing yet.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    Thanks @motie2 !

@Londy3 Choosing a tattoo isn't an easy decision, so I'm not surprised you haven't picked one yet. Since it stays on you for the rest of your life, you have to make sure it's something you'll be happy with fifty years from now. With Hobbes, I'm a life long Calvin and Hobbes fan, and I doubt there'll be anything that'll change my mind. With the badger, and the one I'm getting Sunday, both were ideas I had in my mind for a few years before I got them. I started planning for the badger right after I got Hobbes, and started planning for my next one after I got my badger.

I don't think everyone should get one, especially if they feel pressure to do it. But if it's something you think you'd be happy with having on you until the day you die, then definitely go for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Londy3 It definitely takes time to make sure you want one and the right one. I got mine at my uncle’s best friend’s shop. It’s called Sid’s Tattoo Parlor. 23 years and still running strong in this town. Sid used to change my diapers. Lol. Growing up, I used to go to church with my uncle and his friends. They were my punk rock influences.

The anchor was done for a benefit for the Cancer & Lymphoma Society for Kids. They had an event at the shop with $60 tattoos and fun stuff like a bounce house for the children.

I had an idea of wanting a Jesus Christ piece, but didn’t have an image for it. Until I saw a painting Sid did that was in the shop. It was slightly inspired by that painting. The Rose is a bonus because it wasn’t on the painting. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, @ocpunk714, thank you both for the note. Yes I do agree not everyone should get a tattoo. There is a lot to think about. Especially your first one. I am open-minded and time will tell if I do get one or not. If I do, I will consult yoi both. 
  • Options
    I was going to make a thread for this, but decided to post it in here instead. I had work started on my new tattoo this weekend. So far the outline and shading is done, and the color will come in September with my next appointment. I’ve been waiting to do this one for a few years, and it’s already looking fantastic. 

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper, wow that is awesome! So where did the art come from? Can you share the story behind why you got this one and what the badger is all about for you?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Well, I had been planning on getting an otter sea captain tattoo since I got my badger tattoo back in 2014. Back in April, my wife and I went to a tattoo parlor with a friend so she could get a tattoo, and decided now was the time to get it. I couldn't get it at the time, as a tattoo artist needs some time to sketch a mock up of the tattoo, to make sure it's something I want. So I left a few pictures I had that were to be used as an inspiration for the tattoo, and scheduled it for some time in June.

Time passes, and when the date comes, I go to the parlor with my wife, ready to get my tattoo. When we get there, the artist isn't there, and when we ask for her, the staff looks at each other and asks for confirmation on who the artist was that we talked to. Turns out, the original artist was fired on bad terms with the parlor, and they didn't have us down. No big deal, so we reschedule my tattoo with a different artist for this past weekend. We did get a gift certificate for our troubles, though, which went towards the tattoo. I didn't mind waiting, to be honest.

Though I had my inspiration pictures with the artist, I didn't know exactly what the tattoo would be until we got there on Saturday. Thankfully, the artist had done such a great job with his proposed artwork, that I agreed to the first sketch as soon as I saw it. The artist and the whole parlor were psyched about the tattoo, since tattoo artists usually get stuck doing things like writing words or simple designs like celtic knots or barbed wire. My request allowed the artist to play around with his creativity, which he said was the whole reason he became a tattoo artist in the first place.

While badgers are my favorite animal, I already had my badger tattoo. Otters are my second favorite animal, and they work perfectly with a nautical theme, which was what I wanted to use for my next piece. The theme of the art is "Hold Fast Hope", which I'll have in text in the ribbon at the bottom of the piece when I get this touched up in September. The otter is calm and smoking a pipe at sea, because no matter what the seas of life brings him, he can be at peace because God is over all. Even if the seas sink his ship and he goes to the bottom of the sea, his soul belongs to God, and He will see him through to the end.