Home General

Bipolar Pipe Smoker **FULL LENGTH**

I spent awhile editing this and it came out to be 25 minutes long. 100% filmed on my iphone. No bells and whistles. No script. Just raw, uncut thoughts and feelings. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U10ZLXWaZs

Comments

• @ocpunk714, Look I don't claim to be any kind of an expert in Bi-Polar conditions, or a MD, Let me say this everybody gets depressed, has anxiety, so you are not alone. Obviously your situation is far more serious than your everyday depression and anxiety we all feel at various times, not down playing your situation at all. So have you tried writing down your thoughts in a diary, have you tried yoga exercises it can be a simple as sitting in a dark room and lighting a candle and concentrate on the flame until your mind is clear and calm. How about long walks or start running, to get in shape and totally get to the point of exhaustion to hopefully get rid of those bad vibes.How about reading? A subject you are really interested in,a book you don't want to put down,therefore you mind is occupied with something other than anxiety or depression. At any rate, maybe you have tried all of these common sense techniques, and found they don't help, if not that's all I can offer. Don't sue me for malpractice ha,ha,. I wish you the best, keep moving and continue to make a stand.
  • ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited June 2018
    @buflosab There are actually quite a few things I do. Pipe smoking definitely helps because it is my quiet time. I read quite often, however I find myself interested in so many things, the books pile up. I have been a musician and writer for most of my existence, so a solitary life helps. Lol.

I also need to take 4 pills a day to manage my ability to function like a regular person which sucks. Toward the end of the movie I show the strain necessary to move forward in life. Bipolar mania is what I struggle to live with everyday. It’s like being extremely hyperactive, creative and bouncy, but then it’s a very crushing low. It’s like every emotion in overdrive. The meds help me balance these out. I spent a lot of time self medicating with alcohol, but 4 years ago I was blessed to find help. I kicked the booze, but there was still layers upon layers of crap to deal with in the aftermath. AA helped with that aspect. 
    edited June 2018
    @buflosab I personally think that pipe culture was actually brought into my  life by God to help me with this. To maybe help others in our community who might feel how I feel sometimes. I know that might sound crazy or dumb, but it’s part of what drove me to do this project.
  • I do want natural remedies though because taking pills everyday for another four years is definitely not in my life plan.
  • @ocpunk714,Thanks for the reply,no it doesn't sound crazy or dumb, you're doing what you have to do. I always try to put myself in someone's else's shoes and try to understand what they are going through and understand there thought process. I get as close as I can,however we both know unless you or I have actually experienced the situation, we can only get so far.I don't know if you are a Springsteen fan, his book Born To Run, lays out his continuing battle with depression and how he is fighting this malady. Might be of some help.
    edited June 2018
    @buflosab Thank you being willing to have an open dialogue about the subject of mental health. It’s an important matter in our society and I have experienced enough personal tragedy watching friends either ruin their lives with substances or just end it in a blink of an eye. I wouldn’t wish mental illness on anybody, but it was put in my life for a reason.

Definitely will check out the book suggestion! I like Bruce Springsteen, so that should be interesting. Got to see him perform live when I was a teenager. I still have the ticket stub somewhere.
  • Your. welcome, like many other mental health problems or substance abuse or what have you it's being at long last discussed and shown the light of day. Bottom line it can happen to anyone regardless of age,income,race, religion, and social standing.. My brother died from the effects of Alcoholism,way to young. Never got to the real reason causing this horrible disease, and who knows it maybe never would have been found out had he lived longer. I know personal responsibility plays a part, he tried, was in local Veterans Hospital off and on for many years, it just didn't happen for him. At any rate it is very cool you got to see Springsteen and the E Street Band, been a fan for a long time.
  • @buflosab Dang man. My condolences. Alcohol is a horrible substance. I used to hate it growing up because I watched so many men I love become abusers. Something changed  in my life to where it consumed everything though. I was an extremely selfish and scary individual. The only the thing that saved me was accepting Jesus Christ  in my heart. I am not saying my life is perfect or you have to be religious in anyway to find recovery. That’s just part of my story.
  • @ocpunk714 Pipe smoking is one mechanism I use to divert my mind from negative thoughts.  I have a tendency to get caught up in the swirling "black vortex" (as I call it) of my mind when dealing with stress, or frustration or anger.  I've never been a good manager of my own stress.  I'm blessed with a wife who listens to my rants, but a few years ago I began to realize I needed to expand my circle of friends to help divert my mind from the weekly stresses of job and life in general.  It was pipe smoking and ultimately the pipe club I joined that helped me get through difficult times by helping me focus on more positive thoughts and energy. 

Anyway, my long-winded response was intended to support your comment that God steered you toward pipe culture to help you.  Though we've never met, you're one of my many TPL online brothers and I like to think I help you get through the day like you and our other TPL brothers do for me.
  • One day at a time brother @ocpunk714! You got this!
    edited June 2018
    Appreciate that fellas. It is all about taking small steps. I love how the pipe smoking community is filled with such wonderful people. It doesn’t just feel like we’re an online forum to me. I’ve applied and gained so much education about pipe tobacco since I started pipe smoking in February. 
  • Keep the discussion going, @ocpunk714. You're always better off getting your thoughts and feelings out there and keeping the conversation alive, but you know that already. You've got a good group behind and with you.
    edited June 2018

I will definitely do that @Bloodhound61! I actually have something new I want to advocate for, it's called Puppies Behind Bars. It's a prison inmate training program that helps raise dogs for wounded veterans, first responders who have PTSD and bomb sniffing dogs for law enforcement. I believe their mission is a valuable asset to communities everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcGERDm9KY

• I think that is a fantastic thing in which to involve yourself. I have a little experience in such things as you describe going through, and I won't put out a mantra...I don't like mantras, hate the damn things.....but having yourself as your own and sole counsel is a very bad idea as I'm sure you know. Put yourself out there as you are doing, sir....it'll serve you and others well. If you ever need an ear, I, and we, are here.
    edited June 2018
    If anyone has Amazon Prime or iTunes, there is a movie about the Puppies Behind Bars program called “Prison Dogs”. It actually shows how they train the inmates and that is no joke. The trainer lady is hardcore.

Service animals are an extremely important aspect to people’s quality of life. My girlfriend was born with Cerebral Palsy. She has worked for 5 years to get a service dog from a company called “Little Angels” in San Diego,CA.  Finally raised the money it takes to train them. They have a ranch where she’ll be able to train them with their staff as well.

www.prisondogsfilm.com