Home Pipes & Tools

Maxpedition Grab-N-Go Pipe Pouch

A few weeks ago, @Londy3 asked about a hands free idea for carrying pipes and tools.  I don't think we ever came up with a truly hands free idea for him but I did come across some folks online who use a Maxpedition Fattie as an "all purpose" pipe pouch. The idea intrigued me as my Peterson pipe pouch is quite limiting on what I can keep in it.

I purchased a Maxpedition Fattie about 3 weeks ago and have been using it every day since I received it.  There are pros and cons to it, but it seems to fit my purpose better than any pipe pouch I've had in the past. 

The biggest pro is this thing can hold a lot! I currently keep two bent briar pipes (a Carey and a Casselero) and my Nording Shorty in it. My pipe tool fits nicely between my pipes. Behind the pipes I keep a pipe sock filled with pipe cleaners. Handy to have but also provides a bit of extra padding to the pipes when the case is zipped closed.

The other side of the case snugly holds my faithful Zippo lighter, a tin of Keystone filters for my shorty, a mini tin of Altoid mints and an empty Altoid mint container that holds Carey Papyrate sleeve filters. There is a zippered compartment behind these items where I keep 2 wind caps, several extra rubber stem bits, a Bic mini lighter and a carnauba cloth for wiping down the briars. 

I did have some concerns about the briar pipes rubbing against the lighter and small tins when the case was closed.  I solved this worry by purchasing a Stokkebye 4th Generation leather tobacco pouch. It holds several ounces of tobacco, fits perfectly inside and provides a soft surface for the pipes when the case is closed. 

Everything I need is in one spot for when I head out the door.  There is still quite a bit of unused room in this case but I have everything I need so no use in creating bulk. You could easily add an OTC pouch of tobacco or two to this case with ease. I wouldn't hesitate adding another pipe either, but I am rarely in a position where 2 pipes wouldn't be sufficient for me. 

The cons? It's not an "elegant" pipe case. It's intended as a tactical pocket organizer so it won't accessorize well with a suit and tie outing. If Maxpedition made this with a soft leather shell I think it would be a home run. Initially, the canvas is a bit on the stiff side, although it seems to be softening quite a bit with use. It is larger than a one or two pipe case, but not by much. It measures approximately 5 X 7 X 2 inches. It is actually smaller than my leather 4 pipe carrying case, but is much more functional with what I can carry. Also, it may be a bit too thin for larger bowl pipes like Freehands.

If you're not concerned about aesthetics and need a well constructed, durable and inexpensive carryall grab-n-go pipe case, I highly recommend the Maxpedition Fattie.  It's available in various colors and can be found on Amazon for $20 to $25.

Comments

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Kmhartle, hey thanks for posting this. We never did have a remedy for my hands free need. This pictures along with your detailed commentary was very helpful. So, how would you walk around/carry it with you? Is there a shoulder strap or anything like that?
  • @Londy3 ~ Unfortunately, I don't think this is a very good hands free solution. There is a carry handle at the top that could easily be used to clip to a belt loop with a small carabiner perhaps. It would also fit nicely into a cargo pocket of cargo pants or shorts. 
  • RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    I like this idea, I ride a motorcycle and this is a great way to keep my few pipes I have (I am new to pipe smoking still learning what works) and want to keep nice well protected.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    Hmm, I'm still thinking. Again, we want to safety carry our stuff yet be able to enjoy the entire experience. Perhaps while walking the dog at the park, bike riding, having some alone time in the woods just enjoying nature and peace...things like that. I want a light, non bulky hands free solution. 
  • Would it work to carry something like this - or even a traditional pipe pouch - in some sort of haversack? An over the shoulder deal?
  • By "this" I was referring to the gadget in the original post. Buy that, or a traditional pipe combo pouch, and find some sort of over shoulder bag to carry it in - maybe a messenger bag. They are all over the web. Hands free.

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    Yeah, I thought about a leather messenger bag because they look cool and I can use it for work. Perhaps just pick up a small bag like the siggsuggest and put that in the messenger bag/back pack
  • My tobacco pouch has four loops in a lower zippered chamber that fits 2 or 3 pipes and a bundle of pipe cleaners. the upper chamber has magnetic self aligning clasps with a zipped pouch for lighters and tools and a fold over pouch for 1/2 to 1 oz of tobacco. the bottom is 2 1/2" X 6"  with tapering sides of 3 1/2", it fits in Cargo Pants pockets and Fishing Vests as well. If I'm at a show without them I  keep it in a sturdy canvas messenger bag.
  • I saw a couple photos of these online so i bought one. i love it. holds everything i need, and a little more.

• @cmdbillingsley ~ It really is a versatile pipe bag. I've been very pleased with mine. 

Welcome to the forum, by the way!