Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Recommendations & New Stuff

Getting a couple new tins on Saturday. Gonna try some Rattray's 3 Noggins & Dunhill Durbar. Anybody else looking forward to any upcoming mail? Tin or bulk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_1c1aGa-4

Comments

• Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    Going to a shop in Dothan, Alabama tonight to pick up some C&D Pirate Kake. 75% Latakia!
  • Options
    @Woobie I was mulling that over last time I went to a good tobacco shop. Ended up with some G.L. Pease Gaslight though which is also a heavy Latakia blend.

I am really wanting to try PK and Sea Dog. @PappyJoe wrote a Sea Dog review on his blog and I can’t wait to try it soon.
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    @ocpunk714 Pirate Kake actually doesn't taste like there is that much Latakia in there. It's got a lot of flavor and is more  interesting than one might think just looking at the ingredients.
  • Options
    @Woobie Awesome! Well, I hope your purchase was to your liking.
  • Options
    Did what I like to call, “The Midnight Run”. Lol. Picked up a few different blends from P&C. Trying a couple different things like the AP.

1. Daughters & Ryan - English Hoopla, English(it says aromatic, but the Latakia is the star)
    2. Rimboche - Acadian Perique 
    3. Cornell & Diehl - Black Frigate, Navy/Latakia(Rum flavor) 
  • Options
    I have recently acquired multiple tins of Astley No 55 and H&H Virginia Memory. The former is a fairly light, citrusy Virginia ribbon cut, the latter a golden Virginia flake. Not a gram of latakia or perique among the whole bunch.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    @judandhispipe — I’ve been diggin’ straight Virginia’s lately. I may have to check these out. My favorites are currently 5100 & PS Luxury Twist Flake. 
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 I’m a big fan of Black Frigate. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I have been intrigued about Black Frigate for awhile. Finally decided to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I envy you guys in the market for new stuff to add to your cellar. I've hit the saturation point where there is more tobacco in my cellar than I possible can smoke in my remaining years. So I have to put down my Pipes & Cigars magazine and stop shopping. I really miss picking out something new and the excitement I'd get when a new box would arrive in the mail. I've got a birthday  coming in June and maybe I'll order a tin or two just for the heck of it to recapture that YABO buzz.
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    Well the Pirate Kake was sold out when I got there, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a tin of Presbyterian. So I'm pretty happy about that.
  • Options
    @jfreedy , I have been doing more and more of the straight Virginias. I started being very heavily into the reds - McCranie's Red Ribbon, Hartwell Signature. And while I still smoke these, I am going more and more to golden Virginias like the two I mentioned.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I am really sorry you have overstocked your cellar. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help alleviate your problem of too much tobacco on hand. (that was typed in a jokingly sarcastic manner.)

Actually, I find myself in almost the same situation but I handle it by buying one new tin for every two tins or jars I finish. By the end of the week I should be close to buying two new tins which will get added to the cellar. I will then decide which of the older tins in the cellar to open. 
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    @ghostsofpompeii and @PappyJoe, I reached the same point.  I only purchase new tins if there is a special that is to good to pass up or if there is something so rare that I've been searching for and the price is right.  It seems I have enough pipe tobacco to last me at least for the next 30-yrs and at my age (nearing 58), I want to be able to enjoy what I have and not worrying about it going to waste. 
  • Options
    I think my upcoming tobacco & pipe purchases might be my last for awhile. No guarantees though. Lol.

I just have a lot, so I am contemplating another YouTube giveaway of some kind. Maybe like an English sampler this time.  
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @PappyJoe and @Charles The big issue is the type of winter we had this year kept me from smoking as much as I'd like to, so I barely put a dent in my cellar. When you find yourself only smoking one bowl a night it seems like your tobacco supply remains the same. When spring, summer, and autumn come around I usually go through at least three bowls throughout the day. That's when I really notice my supply dwindle. 
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited May 2018

I will have to try more G.L. Pease soon. These are excellent Latakia blends from The Old London Collection.

*Quiet Nights is packed in my Dagner P215