Home General

Is your town famous for something?

2»

Comments

• This is a great thread that I somehow missed back in September! I was raised in Bradford,PA, home of the Zippo lighter and Case knives. I later moved to Olean, NY, home of Alcas Cutlery. Now I live in Topeka, KS, famous for sheer boredom and the nut jobs of Westboro Baptist Church. 

• @Kmhartle - Case and Zippo in one town! Two American classics!

Georgia coast is where I am. I suppose the best we can do for “famous” are the sea islands (Jekyll and St. Simons) and then the Okefenokee Swamp just inland. Some nitwits with dollar signs for eyeballs are pushing to develop a rocket launch facility nearby. If that goes through, you’ll probably hear about it.

• I was born in Port Arthur, Tx. Home to Janis Joplin and Jimmy Johnson. 
    I graduated from South Park High School in Beaumont, Tx. Home to arguably one of the best Women athletes of the 20th Century - Babe Didrikson Zaharias. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Didrikson_Zaharias
    Beaumont is also the site of the Spindletop oil field. It was one of the first major oilfield and one of the largest in U.S. History.
    The city is located on the Neches River which is a natural deep draft river and became one of the major defense ship building ports in World War II. 

At one time in the early 1970s, there were more professional football players from Beaumont than any other city in the country. Some of the notables were: Jerry Ball, Mel Far, Jerry Levias, Bob Pollard and Bubba Smith. Notable Baseball players include Frank Robinson and Gus Zernial. Pro Bowler David Ozio (11 Titles). 

Famous musicians: Tracy Byrd, Mark Chestnutt, George Jones, Blind Willie Johnson, Clay Walker, Edgar Winter and Johnny Winter. 

I went to high school with James Bubba Busceme. He won five straight national titles (stills hold the Texas State Boxing record for the fastest title bout. The bout lasted 13 seconds as he knocked out his opponent with the first punch and the referee had to do the 10 count.) He also competed in the 132 lb. weight class in the 1972 Olympics.

• My hometown (Norwich, CT) was the birthplace of a one Benedict Arnold, but it was also the home of Samuel Huntington who signed the Declaration of Independence.  Yes, Washington allegedly slept in several homes in town.  I can only assume his visits arose from war-related business vs him being a "playa", if you will.  
  • Part of a movie called "That Thing You Do" was filmed in my hometown. Quite a few musicians were born here such as Gwen Stefani who was on THE VOICE.
  • KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    TheBadgerPiper......are you in Gamaliel Arkansas??

Reed City, Mi,,,  “the Old Ruger Cross”. Written here.

Muskegon,,Mi, was once the lumber capitol also.. Claim lumber from there rebuilt Chicago after the great fire.
  • I was born in Buffalo NY, famous for many things other than snow. Anchor Bar-origin of Buffalo Wings. Musicians, Rick James, famous in the 80s (deceased) , Cory Wells, one of the lead singers of Three Dog Night, ( deceased), Rock band The Goo Goo Dolls, Brian McKnight Jazz Musician. Actors- Vincent Gallo ( Buffalo 66), Buffalo Bob Smith, Howdy Doody fame, you remember boomers.Actress Amanda Blake- Miss Kitty on tv show Gunsmoke. Satirist Mark Russell and of course newsmen Tim Russert just to name a few that brought fame and pride to the city I grew up in. I now live in the Orlando area and we all know what that is famous for. Interesting reading all the comments.
  • I was born in Los Angeles and it’s famous for many things. Moved to the Kansas City area when I was younger, which we are mainly famous for BBQ. I lived in the same city of the Sprint world HQ, which is famous for lousy service and lay offs !
  • jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited April 2018
    I’m in Norman, OK - hometown of James Garner, Ed Harris, Vince Gill and The Flaming Lips, and also the current home of Candy Clark and Toby Keith. I also live a block away from a couple of slightly famous gold medal gymnasts, Bart Conner and Nadia Comaneci. Oh yeah... and the University of Oklahoma, but as an Oklahoma State fan I have to list OU last.  ;)
  • Cleveland, Rock-N-Roll HOF.
  • As far as I know, the Town of Greene, Maine (pop. 4096), where we live now, isn't famous for anything.
  • @Kmhartle, my oldest brother was born in Bradford, we have another connection.
  • Go4BrokeGo4Broke Enthusiast

I'm in Kearney, MO - claim to fame is the birthplace of Jesse James.  There's a festival every fall commemorating the famous outlaw.  His grave is also in the cemetery at the center of town.  One of these days I need to take my Missouri Meerschaum Jesse James outlaw series pipe down there and enjoy a bowl.

Traverse City, Mi,, at one time, had the largest ‘insane asylum’ in the world....For many, many years the buildings sa empty,, then they stated converting them into condos.
    Hart,MI....home of the largest maraschino cherry producer.
  • This forum is great. You guys live in some interesting places. 
  • Pro Football Hall of Fame. 
  • Where I live, they do not talk about it, but there was a massacre at the now gone Chiquola Mill. A fight between the workers and management. 
    http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2010/08/the-shooting-at-chiquola-mill-became-known-as-bloody-thursday.html
  • Our sleepy little town is known as a "Quaint Drinking Village with a Bit of a Golfing Problem"...

;-)
  • Huh? Well not really, Bonnie and Clyde robbed a bank in the little town I live near, Jesse and Frank James were said to have robbed a train Station down the road from me and rumors say that John W. Booth is buried in a Cemetery in our County and he taught school at one of our little schools until he died.  Who knows if any of it is true! 
  • OH and a few Movies have been filmed in our County and in neighboring Counties.  Other than that nothing much goes on around here.........