Home General
Options

Current(or previous if retired) job/ career and are you allowed to smoke?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I guess I count myself lucky as I can smoke at work still, their not really worried about the smoke when you work in a steel plant they used to ask about the wonderful smell in my office a good bit but I guess they have just become accustomed to it. 
  • Options
    As a retired librarian,  I smoke at home whenever I want now.  But I could never smoke in a library, and wouldn't anyway because it would be bad for the books. I didn't even smoke at lunch. But I sure enjoyed it on the drive home. Sometimes we'd get books returned that smelled so bad we'd have to put them outside to air out.  Once I even had to talk to a patron about it because it wasn't just the smoke odor, which was bad enough, but there was also pet odors, hair, and feces.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    edited April 2018
    I've been a Union Tradesman, IUOE Heavy Equipment Operator my whole life and I smoked one or two big hand rolled cigar cigars every day at work until I got into mining. There is no smoking in the sealed cabs of the leased machines and they are run 24/7 during the season. I miss cigars but I have a long commute when I can enjoy cigars and I get a new dozer every year! The company we are contracted to is tobacco free as a condition of employment besides the pre employment test they random test their workers pretty often. They get one chance.
  • Options
    BentonBenton Newcomer
    Aircraft mechanic for nearly 40 years now.
     There are always smoking areas for breaks since we can’t smoke around the aircraft. Ironically, this has kept us able to smoke at work while everyone else can’t.
     I only smoke during my very long commute. 
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Retired,  don’t smoke in the house,,, do in my workshop, and in the summer, outdoors to drive the mosquitos crazy,,,,My wife likes to sit on the porch in the summer while I enjoy smoking because the mosquito
    s don’t bother her, and she loves the smell of the tobacco.
  • Options
    I work from home myself most of the time. In nice weather I can take a smoke break and go outside. When I have a consulting project, I can smoke in my truck to and from wherever. When I first started out many years ago I could (and did) smoke in my office. We had a client who giftewd me several pipes as he was a "piper". I still have those 2 pipes and smoke them regularly. I then joined an A&E firm where I stayed for 30 years, the last part of which I became a full partner.....those 30 years there was NO smoking except outside, of which I never indulged in favor of waiting for my ride home. Now that better weather is at least anticipated here in New Germany (Jersey), I can look forward to taking a break or two and go outside to smoke.