Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pouch Tobaccos

Picked up some pouch tobacco. Just to have around. I ordered a pouch of Peterson Wild Atlantic and I’m not hoping for big things, but it has a decent amount of reviews and I really wanted to give it a try. Got another one called Erin Go Bragh that’s more of an Irish Whiskey tobacco. Don’t know too much about it though other than what I’ve read.

Comments

• Options

New source for Sutliff Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Pouches $4.99 each.... great selection

<<Sutliff pipe tobacco offers a diverse line up of tasty pipe tobaccos, in three convenient sizes - a 1.5 ounce pouch, perfect for carrying around, as well as two larger bags - 8 ounce and 1 pound, for those who like to keep a little more at home. Factory Sealed for freshness - economically priced>>

http://www.kingsmokingpipesandcigars.com/sutliff-pipe-tobacco-15oz-pouches  

• Options
    I’ve been really diggin’ Lane Limited Ready Rubbed lately. It’s a good classic pouch tobacco. 
  • Options
    Lane ready rubbed is a great one. I do like the wild Atlantic. It’s a great flavor and a good English. It’s not as heavy as some other English blends. I tend to reach for this when the summer nights hit for some odd reason.
  • Options
    I agree with @jfreedy and @Jayhawk422. LL Ready Rubbed is a good pouch smoke.  I'm also very fond of Carter Hall. 
  • Options
    Carterhall is also a great one, I had just never been a fan of Captain Black. Ok 
  • Options
    Every pipe smoker should try Prince Albert and Carter Hall at some point, as they're both classics. I'm a fan of Amphora Full Aroma, and I plan on picking up Lane Ready Rubbed with my next order.
  • Options
    I started smoking with Captain Black and keep a good supply of it in my cellar. That said, I tend to mix it half and half with a strong Latakia  blend these days. I do, however, really like CB Copper by itself. Another good pouch smoke IMHO.  
  • Options
    Back in the 1970s I started off with Borkum Riff and Captain Black. I preferred Borkum Riff. I've also smoked Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Middleton's Cherry and Mixture 79. If I had to smoke just one or two of them for the rest of my life it would be Borkum Riff and Carter Hall.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, reading your comment is like looking back in a mirror.

The only change for me would be If I had to smoke just one or two of them for the rest of my life it would be Borkum Riff and Prince Albert

I did not care much for Mixture 79 then and definitely cannot stand it now.  Occasionally, I will smoke Carter Hall and I acquired a vintage can of Middleton's Cherry a few months ago and have not opened it yet.
  • Options
    As a recent nostalgia buy (my dad's dad smoked it, and Prince Albert, both in the tall flat tins), I'm currently working my way slowly through a pouch of half-n-half. There's something to the smell that brings back images of Gramp's room having a thin layer of concentrated smoke across the entire room about halfway between the floor and ceiling, probably trapped at the border between the warm air at the top of the room, and the cooler air at the floor. Gramp in his chair with his metal-framed pipe with a corn-cob bowl.
  • Options
    Some years ago, an avid pipe smoker donated his computer to the congregation when he upgraded to a new one.
    The computer and keyboard were covered with a very slightly sticky film of pipe smoke residue. Took a lot of cleaning.....
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    @motie2 I'm beginning to suspect that below the keys on my laptop's keyboard there is a layer of ash. I'm a bit amazed that it is still functioning.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    @ocpunk714 Try Casey Jones Hero's Blend. A mild vanilla aro. I started with the pouch and am now working through my second tub.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    As I've mention before here thanks to the Principal of my High School who smoked 3 star blue, that's what I started with. over the years I've tried different pouch's but none that stuck with me. I do remember getting the zip lock bags from tinder box, and enjoying those. I also used to get the zip lock bags from a local shop Sir Patrick's the owner was an Ohio State football player and had 2 shops in Illinois one in Palatine, and one in Rand Hurst in Mt Prospect. He was a great guy and had a great store. He is also the guy that stated me collecting Dept 56 Snow Village, but that's a whole different subject.LOL   
  • Options
    LL Ready Rubbed & Carter Hall.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    My first exposure to pipe tobacco was that of our choirmaster/organist when I was in religious high school. There was always a sweet savor in the choir loft, and a foil pouch of John Rolfe* next to the organ keyboard.

*Peach brandy flavored tobacco. I tried it, years later; 'twas my second purchase, after Middleton Cherry Blend. (What the hell did I know?)
    It bit like a barracuda.
  • Options
    Scooped up 2 more pouches...Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot & John Bull Royal English. Don’t know why I’m on this pouch kick. These ones sounded pretty decent though after some research.
  • Options
    I’ve had the American Patriot, I do like that one.
  • Options
    I tried MM Great Dane, not a bad aro.

• Options
    Prince Albert / Grainger cut with 1/4 Lakeland Dark / Amphora Original / Capt. Black Dark and Copper /
    Velvet.