Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Man-cave or The Study - What is Your Preference?

The study has always been the man's domain and a place for private contemplation or entertaining friends in a traditional manly environment.  However, the man cave has become more or the modern style and used as a games room or a place for entertaining friends while watching a sports event.

Each have their advantages and disadvantages. 

A case can be made for either.  What is your preference?  Just curious.

I am an old soul that lives in the traditional past so my preference is of course the study.  I like a place where I can read, plan, or work on something while enjoying a good smoke and a dram or two. 

What is your preference?  Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    It depends on the context.

When I'm up there working, it's my office.

When I'm up there having a pipe, cigar, playin poker, etc...  It's the Mancave or Cave.
  • Options
    Having neither, Man Cave.
  • Options

Anything sounds better than ... the garage. But I tend to like @CACooper suggestion of an Inner Sanctum, sound a bit spookier, where you might dismember a hitchhiker between bowls. Actually 'Man Cave' is a modern a phrase and I'm more of an old soul born in the wrong era. My taste leans towards the Victorian era so terms like 'the study' or 'sitting room' would probably roll off my tongue more so than 'Man Cave'. In my mind I picture a gentleman's quarters like featured in Sherlock Holmes films. A desk, a few chairs, a fireplace, and a book case full of ... here's where my taste force me from Victorian England to modern day USA) ... a bookcase full of DVD movies and a 60" flat screen TV mounted someplace on a wall.

I remember watching one of those make-over shows where they surprise someone with a room make-over and in this instance they transformed a room into an old English pub. That's my idea of the perfect place to smoke my pipe.     

• Options
    My spot for smoking is my wood shop. Some would call it a garage or tool shed. But I have it insulated and there is a thin path between the tools to my chair at the back. Unless I am working on a project, I am alone with my pipe, when I am there. 
  • Options
    Great question! Since I smoke my pipe in my garage, I don't have either. If I had the choice between the two, I'd pick the study without a second thought. As a writer, I'd love to have a room designated as a study, with a writing desk, bookshelves, and my pipes/tobacco.

My other love is video games, but as a personal rule I never smoke and play a game (board games being the exception). I'd rather keep them in a furnished basement, away from my pipes.
  • Options
    I am very close to the same situation as @Winton My regular workshop is in my garage. I have a padded plastic chair and a plastic side table that I use while taking a relaxing bowl. I just move it out of the way when I am doing some actual work out there...
    However, if I had a choice, I would rather have a man cave than a study. Somehow I feel a man cave can be more multi-purpose...
  • Options
    My wife and I have discussed getting a new house over the years. One of the main features we both want is a place where I can work, read, and smoke. BUT it has to be separate from the rest of the house. My wife is allergic to smoke and I won't do anything that hurts her.  Is this a separate structure, an area over or behind the garage? It's nice to have a dream. Who knows the future?
  • Options
    @mseddon Now you're talkin'...
  • Options
    @mseddon An Ozone Machine does remove odors by generating Nascent Oxygen which attacks organic compounds including us. They usually come with a warning not to use for over 1 hour. I use mine to reduce foul odors in my pipes by putting the generator in a box with a pipe and letting it run for the hour with the windows open on the porch. Excessive Ozone is often mentioned as a pollutant on hot Summer days.  
  • Options
    I would have to go with study, for now I am relegated to smoking outdoors, but my home office is closer to a study than mancave, and that is the way I like it. I have an old soul like many others on TPL, and mancaves just aren't nearly as appealing to my tastes.
  • Options
    I'm more of a "study" type, myself, although I don't have one, since my house is a tad small for such things. Since I am widowed, I smoke pretty much when and where I want.
  • Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited February 2018
    I can see the virtues of both.  I love a peaceful bowl, with no TV or noise of any kind, but I also enjoy watching a game in a comfortable chair while drinking booze, coffee or whatever.  If I had the money, I'd have one of each.
  • Options
    A perfect fortress of solitude

• Options
    I used to have a study at my last two houses (parsonages) when I was an active member of the clergy. I could smoke my pipes therein. Now retired, I share an "office" with SWMBO and no longer have any indoor place where i can smoke a bowl. 

I'm not entitled to a man cave, because I submit to SWMBO, but I sure would like a study again...... :p
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver — perfect spot to smoke a pipe. If I ever build a house....
  • Options
    Woooh is me.....I am either in my office (no smoking zone), in my basement workshop (no smoking zone), in the bedroom (ABSOLUTELY not a smoking zone). If I want to smoke, it is either outside, in the garage, or in my pikemup truck. I am very mistreated and misunderstood.
  • Options
    Like many of you, I've created a corner of my garage, but I was recently greeted in our bedroom (opposite end of a ranch style house) filled with the essence of essential oils and my wife who said, "Sorry. I like the smell of unsmoked tobacco, but your pipes stink."
     :# 
    My false idea of Heaven is that I get to create pipe smoke as heavenly incense to our Creator while waste deep in a stream of hungry trout. If I'm really dreaming Sidney Bechet is playing in the background.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    I to am an old soul, I like pipes, fedoras, and I still wear a suit everyday for business, and I enjoy it. I like men being men! but I do believe you should always be a gentleman! So I really don't like the word man cave! to me it brings up a vision of here is a little place for you and your crap to coexist, and if you have to, bring your friends there. Kind of what we see a lot of on TV today men are stupid and should be kept in there place. I think from a smoking stand point I'm pretty lucky I have a 9 month room with a TV, furniture and heat, that becomes a screen room in the good weather. I also have a wonderful wife who likes the smell of a pipe! I do have a study  because there are times I work from home. Then I have what I would call a den/bar perfect for quite reflection, having a cocktail, watching movies or sports or entertaining. 
  • Options
    Anthony
    About 10 years ago or so, I quit the "corporate" world in favor of pursuing my career as an individual. It has resulted unfortunately in a much leaner financial situation, but I would probably be dead or at least in prison for murder of my partners....(.that is another story) by now, but that is another story.

Anyway, my reason for this post is just to comment on your speaking of "sartorial splendor". If I do not have to go meet a client, or attend a "function" requiring me to so so, I wear shorts and sweatshirts all year long. Everyone who knows me expects (or at least accepts) it. Due to the fact we live at "the shore", even while in the "corporate world" we would dress relaxed during decent weather and seasons as a large majority of our clientele" would visit our firm in shorts, docksiders, polo shirts, etc.

I had to wear 'squared away" uniforms in the military, and had to "dress the part" for almost 30 years of my career.

Dial back almost 10 years ago, my wife had a yard sale. I got rid of so many slacks, dress shirts, jackets, ties, etc. I have to confess that I was a "clothes freak" to a degree, but looking back do not miss those at this point. When I get up in the morning my biggest concern is what color shorts to wear, and which tee shirt and/ or sweatshirt to put on.

However, having been there, I respect and admire a "sharp dressed man". I propose an attire competition with our Londy who wears some of the nicest jackets I have seen. His color and pattern coordination is very nice.

In case of a tie, I will select the winner based on your tobacco choices.

• Options
    @Anthony, thats what I'm talking about!
  • Options
    Sitting here up in the mancave, er, uhm, Study, today.  I'm getting up to speed on current projects and itinerary's.

Anyway, having been in the Navy for 6 years and in management and consulting for the last 30, I have acquired quite the wardrobe of suits, shirts, ties and shoes.  Not to mention slacks and golf shirts.

About 4 years ago I accepted a position as C.O.O. for a local software developer.  It is owned by friends of mine and the emphasis on casual wardrobe was made quite clear when I accepted the position.  No suits were to be worn, period!  Consequently we were a golf shorts and golf shirt affair for most of the year and wearing jeans and socks only when the weather necessitated it.  ;-)

I've recently accepted a position as regional manager with an international manufacturing concern.  Again the emphasis is on a "Dress Casual" (slacks and golf shirts) philosophy, with suits to be worn only at Trade Shows and Board Meetings.

I don't mind wearing a suit and tie, but I also appreciate being able to dress a bit more casually as it makes travel a bit easier, especially on the wardrobe.

• Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    pwkarch & Londy3 I would love to if I could only figure out to attach pictures to this blog, or get the picture's to open that other's post here! LOL