Home General
Options

Not to sound morbid, but........

Has anyone given any thought or given any direction to somebody as to what should be done with your pipes and cellared tobacco when you pass? Especially if there aren't any family members who smoke or are interested?

I have enough fishing equipment to furnish the entire city I think.  I've told my wife to contact my fishing buddy when I pass so he can help her with values, etc.  I haven't done that with my tobacciana. 

My greatest fear is that my wife will sell my pipes at a yard sale for $5 each, or worse ~ she will sell them for what I told her I paid for them!

I'm just curious. I know it's something I need to do as my PAD and TAD is now reaching advanced stages. 

Comments

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 2018
    @Kmhartle O don't think you're alone in thinking along that line. I have thought about that as well. Most of us have quite an investment in the lobby. I've thought about creating a database with corresponding pics and a fair asking price for each pipe. That way, if I pass before the wife, she at least has an idea where to start. Perhaps even consigning them to an eBay seller wit profits going to the wife, children, whatever... Just thinking out loud...
  • Options
    BentbrierBentbrier Professor
    @Kmhartle Smokingpipes.com will buy the pipes as an option.  I sold the a couple awhile back and did ok.  They clean them up and resell so the went to a good home presumably.  Not the only option but it's an easy one.  Tobacco might be a bit tougher but there is a place in Canada that will buy old tinned tobaccopipes.com.  They also resell.  Just some ideas.  Others might have better.
  • Options
    Unless some of us release our pipes into the void, how are young men starting off with pipe smoking going to be able to find sweet bargains on eBay or in estate sales? I'm positively thrilled when I score a great deal on eBay, and I'm 71. I can imagine what a young fellow feels in similar circumstances. 
  • Options
    The thought has crossed my mind, but I haven't given my wife any sort of plans on what to do. If I have a son, I'd like to pass a few along to him, if he would like them. I'd also hope my best friend would get a few gifted to him. The rest? I'd have her sell them on ebay or a place like Smokingpipes.com.
  • Options
    My son and a nephew go with me to my pipe club each month. I assume that my wife would split the pipes between them. She knows about how much I spend on pipes.
  • Options
    My two sons are pipe smokers also. I'm sure my pipes will be divided amongst them and the five grandsons. At least I've mentioned that the grandkids should be allowed to pick one as a keepsake if they want to. The same with my fishing rods.

It's a given that my sons will take all the tobacco and booze I have on hand. 
  • Options
    My nephew is a pipe smoker. I’ve already given him 3 pipes. I’m sure the rest will go to him or my daughters (or one of their future husbands). I may need to discuss this with my wife. Good discussion. 
  • Options
    Glad to hear so many have a plan in place.  I never had any children and my step son has no interest. One nephew in California who is a rabid health nut definitely isn't interested. I have asked my wife to cremate me with my first (and favorite) pipe. Maybe I'll have her include a pouch of aro too! 
  • Options
    I've made up some lists but, they're not complete. Time to delve deeper.
  • Options
    jdk5hhjdk5hh Apprentice

Applies to pipes & cellar too, juss sayin’.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Applies to pipes & cellar too, juss sayin’.

LoL! But I don't think my wife is that naive. Sadly I've seen many pipe widows at shows selling their husbands pipes and tobacco's.
  • Options
  • Options

I recently went through my CD collection with my wife and told her which ones were valuable and the company that would be willing to pay the best price for them. Most music CDs are worth little if anything - but if you happen to collect Music Soundtracks or Filmscores that's another story. They not only see to hold their value but also those that are out of print can garner top dollar. Of course, like everything, collectibles are only valuable to those who collect. What I find to be a rare collectible someone else would toss it in a trash bin.

I guess I'll have to school her on the value of my tobacco cellar. My best bet would be to have her first and foremost contact the members here at the Pipeline and let you guys know I've kicked the bucket. And the post a list of the tinned and bulk tobacco available. Since I mostly have aromatics the picking might be slim here ... but I'm sure you fellows and gals can lead her in the right direction.

I'd like to think my son would be happy to take my collection - but he's not taken to pipe smoking as well as I would have liked.

• Options
    @ghostofpompeii -- I'd be more than happy to help you wife with that, but I'd be really PO'ed if you were to box suddenly..... :'(
  • Options
    Wow, something I've never thought about but clearly need to.  I'm hoping my son will express interest some day.  He's 18, a good young man and very responsible.  I haven't figured out when would be the best time to discuss pipe smoking with him.  I guess that and booze will have to wait a few more years since they're on the verge of increasing the tobacco minimum purchase age to 21, or so I believe I heard recently.
  • Options
    @motie2 Never heard the term 'to box' before ... but I love it.
  • Options
    It was a panel in a Mad Magazine issue back in the late '60s or early '70s, where it was listed as:

"The Body Splint -- The Flip-Top Box" with MAD style gruesome coffin image.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin -- Wow, what a great memory and a interesting reference/source. In seminary the term "to box" was a irreverent slang term for dying and being buried.

• Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    As a financial consultant, the best thing I can tell everyone is document your wishes. Things are often very chaotic after someone passes away and as hard as it is to believe it can bring the worst out of people. So be sure someone knows your wishes, be truthful about values and give them resources to find out what things are worth. Also everyone needs a will or trust it's a must! Don't forget to update you wills and trust about every 5 years, also be sure your beneficiaries are also up to date the way you want them. These things will make a hard time easier for your loved ones!   
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    My wife saves everything, so even though she does not care about my pipes or tobacco.  I am sure they will just stay right where I left them.  
  • Options
    MangoandyMangoandy Master
    edited April 2018
    "I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I'd want to come back as one of my children." - Someone Witty
    Like @PappyJoe said, I have five sons (and potentially 3 yet to be son-in-laws) who will help my wife with dispersing my pipes and single malt scotch collection! :smile:
    Barring my unexpected demise, I plan to give most of my prized pipes away while I'm still alive so I can enjoy the process of sharing a smoke with a happy recipient.