Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Dunhillexxit

does anyone have any leads on dunhill leaving the tobacco game? when should we be expecting the end of production?

Comments

• Options
    The last time I saw anything about it, that was supposed to happen sometime this year.
  • Options
    Production has ended as far as I know. Now they are just cleaning out their warehouses and stockpiles.I expect it won't be until August or September before it gets scarce.
  • Options
    @TaylorJDutton, now would be a good time to stock up on Dunhill tobaccos if you are a Dunhill smoker.  I have ample supply in my cellar and will likely be adding to it while I can.  Even though there are so many tobaccos available on the market today,  one never really knows when a company will decide to close up and liquidate their stock.  McClelland is  a good example. 

The cigar industry, through their three leading cigar industry lobbying organizations have filed legal motions seeking preliminary relief from upcoming FDA restrictions in October of last year.  It is rumored that pipe tobacco is to be included here (I have not been able to verify this as fact yet).

For those pipers who are not Dunhill fans, it is really no big loss.  For those of us who enjoy the Dunhill tobaccos, it makes sense to stock up now while there is still ample stock to do so.

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    "The cigar industry, through their three leading cigar industry lobbying organizations have filed legal motions seeking preliminary relief from upcoming FDA restrictions in October of last year.  It is rumored that pipe tobacco is to be included here (I have not been able to verify this as fact yet)."

Stocking up is always a good idea if you know what you like!
    I've been a CRA member since day one and I can tell you that most "pipe tobacco" sold is relabeled RYO cigarette and will get no legal support from the cigar industry, CRA or IMO little to no support from the IPCPR.
    The good news is that I heard from a good source at last weekends NY Pipe Convention that the Orlik will continue the Dunhill mixtures under new names when the Dunhill stock runs out.
  • Options
    @daveinlax said, "The good news is that I heard from a good source at last weekends NY Pipe Convention that the Orlik will continue the Dunhill mixtures under new names when the Dunhill stock runs out."

Now, that is some good news. 
  • Options
    I am not a dunhill smoker, other than early morning pipe, so i was thinking of getting a few tins of EMP  and a couple of night caps, simply because i have never tried it and i would like to. Thanks all!
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    So are they no longer going to make pipes and lighters as well? do they really think people will not remember they made pipes, tobacco, lighters, and cigarette's, and now are only a fine accurery  brand maker
  • Options
    @Anthony - The pipes are now named and sold as White Spot. 
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe I hate that new name they have.  It's like if Rolls Royce wanted to distance themselves from automobiles, so they changed their name to "Spirit Hood Ornament"
  • Options
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."
                                  ~ William Shakespeare
  • Options
    WoobieWoobie Enthusiast
    @motie2 I have to say you got me. Still, after a lifetime of calling something a rose, "red smelly thingy" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Also, there's a problem that I could foresee happening: once you distance yourself from a name associated with such a fine product, the next step is to get generic on quality.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Does the "White Spot" re-branding mean that they'll still be making them, or is there going to be a stock clearance sale? Norwegian Airlines is charging as low as $180 one way to Gatwick From Stewart Airport, cheapest back is $209 depending on the date travelled.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe that’s is some good news. I do hope the continue Royal Yacht.